Official K-81 DJ thread
Aug 14, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #1,231 of 2,661
as for the velours, diff strokes, diff folks! plus, don't forget to take the foam pads in/out from in front of the drivers (now that you have your choice of the akg or senn ones as well) - i like mine with the senn ones in. I find I can keep a firmer clamping going on with velours too - my cans aren't as wide as, say, VR6's, hehe.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #1,232 of 2,661
oh, and sell your old hated velours to some folks here, especially the int'l folks who can't seem to get a hold of em!

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #1,233 of 2,661
Well mine showed up a day early. Yeah Headroom! I listened stock for a bit, little sloppy on the bass. Took out the foam and was pleasantly awarded with some nice tunes! Listened that way for a while then put the velour pads on. This is my favorite tweak. I left the foam from the velour pads in, it's quite a bit thinner than the AKG foam, and sounds good. The velour is much nicer IMO. Also I was ready for a fight getting them on, but just as with my K340's I had 'em on in no time, with very little effort. I pre-stretched the plastic flange first, got one side started and just worked my way around. As far as SQ, these are brand new, but they're pretty decent straight out of the box. I also guess I'm one of the lucky ones that's not bothered by the clamping force. I've had them on for hours, and to me they're quite comfy. I must thank all of you for your recommendation. I'm going to be quite happy with these for my portable rig. Also they synergise quite well with my Portaphile.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #1,234 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Well mine showed up a day early. Yeah Headroom! I listened stock for a bit, little sloppy on the bass. Took out the foam and was pleasantly awarded with some nice tunes! Listened that way for a while then put the velour pads on. This is my favorite tweak. I left the foam from the velour pads in, it's quite a bit thinner than the AKG foam, and sounds good. The velour is much nicer IMO. Also I was ready for a fight getting them on, but just as with my K340's I had 'em on in no time, with very little effort. I pre-stretched the plastic flange first, got one side started and just worked my way around. As far as SQ, these are brand new, but they're pretty decent straight out of the box. I also guess I'm one of the lucky ones that's not bothered by the clamping force. I've had them on for hours, and to me they're quite comfy. I must thank all of you for your recommendation. I'm going to be quite happy with these for my portable rig. Also they synergise quite well with my Portaphile.
biggrin.gif

you have the pad situation set up identical to mine, glad you like it that way too!

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #1,235 of 2,661
Yeah, I tried the AKG foam in them too, but I like the Senn. foam much better, as much as it pains me to admit that I like anything Senn. better than AKG.
evil_smiley.gif
These are fantastic for classic rock!

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #1,236 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Yeah, I tried the AKG foam in them too, but I like the Senn. foam much better, as much as it pains me to admit that I like anything Senn. better than AKG.
evil_smiley.gif
These are fantastic for classic rock!

i was just listening to Sultans of Swing on these on the way to work - godly.

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #1,238 of 2,661
hmmmm, my main cans for a couple months how have been the HD25-1's... I have a pair of velour pads for them that I don't use, since I prefer the stock sound.

Perhaps I should join the K81 club and slap the velour pads on them?

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #1,239 of 2,661
Have an important Question :wink:

Wich High End Headphone gives me the same amount of Bass the k81dj has (Foams out)?

I want to buy an very good headphone, but i cant image to have something with less bass. with the foams out its really perfect for me.

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #1,240 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I still maintain that the HD25 velours are the worst sonic purchase I've made for any of my headphones. They completely destroyed the bass, and even muddied up the mids and highs a bit. I just don't see how, when A/Bing, you could like the sound of the velours.

Agreed as well. Just tried switching them again, and still, even though the velours are more comfortable, I value sound more.
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #1,241 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by jungblut
Have an important Question :wink:

Wich High End Headphone gives me the same amount of Bass the k81dj has (Foams out)?

I want to buy an very good headphone, but i cant image to have something with less bass. with the foams out its really perfect for me.

The answer is the Beyedynamic DT770/80 Ohm Pro, which you can get for $150. BASS.
basshead.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #1,243 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by hax
How are the mids and his compared to the DT770/80...since someone else broached the topic.
smily_headphones1.gif
I presume the DT770 has better low and hi end extension, how's the quality and amplitude?

better across the board for all categories. beware tho- the stock DT770s can sound thin in the mids due to the monstrous bass and highs.

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #1,244 of 2,661
Wasn't there a company selling colored pads for the HD25? I recall an "Earth" tone, that was a amber/brown similar to that of that Ultrasone HFI-2200. Someone out in Europe know how we can get those stateside?

EDIT: Found them.

I want these pads for my K81DJ's!!
b0.jpg

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #1,245 of 2,661
Wow, yea those look cool, I could get one to match my smartwrap for the cord and impress all the ladies with my headphone fashion senseability. Wonder if I could find some for less, 25 euros is a bit high for some colour, especially if i dont know how they actually look...
cool though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back