Official K-81 DJ thread
Jul 28, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #961 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai
For the price of a new HD25-1, I say buy 3 K81DJ's and give two of them to your friends to spread the love.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now this is an idea whose time has come. Great one Peter!

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #962 of 2,661
So my headphones should be coming in the next 2-3 days and I was wondering what mods you guys think are worth doing? Velour Pads and taking the foam insert out sound like a good idea?

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #963 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
So my headphones should be coming in the next 2-3 days and I was wondering what mods you guys think are worth doing? Velour Pads and taking the foam insert out sound like a good idea?

before you get too far ahead of yourself with modding, it might be good to just listen to them and get used to their sound signature. people have mentioned them changing even after 300hrs. after that, try the different mods and see if you like the way that the sound changes.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #964 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
before you get too far ahead of yourself with modding, it might be good to just listen to them and get used to their sound signature. people have mentioned them changing even after 300hrs. after that, try the different mods and see if you like the way that the sound changes.

Well I planned on listening to them first
wink.gif
I am just asking because I despise pleather and love velour so thats why I am asking. Will the velour effect sound quality poorly?, because I would really like to get it.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #965 of 2,661
Jul 29, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #966 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
HELP!

My K81DJ has developed an intemittancy problem in the left channel.
frown.gif
I've had this happen before with other headphones, but it usually doesn't happen for at least a year and a half or more of use.

Granted, I use them for work-outs, but I would certainly have expected them to have lasted a *little* longer.

plainface.gif

This is the ultimate question... I saw you placed these up for sale... Are you buying another pair? You have been a, if not the, biggest advocate of the 81's.

I say if you don't buy another pair, the FOTM is over. It's all on your shoulders!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #967 of 2,661
So I FINALLY got to try the K81DJ's...

Wow, they sound ... very similar to my HP460's, only twice as expensive.
After some direct comparisons at the BC meet, I'll tell you guys about it.

I do indeed like the comfort of them though. The bass is slightly overpowering when used with a PA2v2 but let see how it sounds with a little dot micro +.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Get back to you in a month,
- nsjong

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #968 of 2,661
Oh my... Just when I had thought my Grado SR80's would reign supreme in my modest headphone collection (see sig), along came these AKG K81DJs.

Since I got them last week, I have barely touched my SR80s. I did a mini comparo just now, and I realized that I might be favoring the AKG's more than my SR80s!
blink.gif

It feels like I'm cheating on my poor Grados. They were my first foray into 'high end' headphones... It's not the prettiest model on the block, but still, it was the can I lost my head-virginity to. I always thought I would always be a "grado-guy" and that I would eventually move up the Grado ladder. But this AKG has got me all confused!

I'll give it a few more weeks to see if this affair is temporary and I tire of the AKG's and fall back on my trusty SR80s, or of its more than just a fling and I decide to stick with the AKG's for the long run and I end up divorcing the SR80's up on the Buy/Sell forum here.

Jul 29, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #969 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
Oh my... Just when I had thought my Grado SR80's would reign supreme in my modest headphone collection (see sig), along came these AKG K81DJs.

Since I got them last week, I have barely touched my SR80s. I did a mini comparo just now, and I realized that I might be favoring the AKG's more than my SR80s!
blink.gif

It feels like I'm cheating on my poor Grados. They were my first foray into 'high end' headphones... It's not the prettiest model on the block, but still, it was the can I lost my head-virginity to. I always thought I would always be a "grado-guy" and that I would eventually move up the Grado ladder. But this AKG has got me all confused!

I'll give it a few more weeks to see if this affair is temporary and I tire of the AKG's and fall back on my trusty SR80s, or of its more than just a fling and I decide to stick with the AKG's for the long run and I end up divorcing the SR80's up on the Buy/Sell forum here.

I know exactly how you feel........My portable rig was all sorted out, or so I had thought (with my HD25-1s). I have no idea why, but I just couldn't resist buying the AKG K81DJs. Now, all I seem to listen to my music through is the AKG K81DJs. My poor little HD25-1s are getting neglected.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #970 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by 46and2
This is the ultimate question... I saw you placed these up for sale... Are you buying another pair? You have been a, if not the, biggest advocate of the 81's.

I say if you don't buy another pair, the FOTM is over. It's all on your shoulders!
rolleyes.gif

If you are kidding with this comment - then OK.

If not, then it's one of the most assinine comments I've ever heard.

Markl has been vocal about his experiences with the K 81 DJ's, but then so have I and quitre a few others. The fact that this thread has 970 posts (and growing), and that so many other people have found the joys of owning the AKG's is all the proof anyone should need to come to the conclusion that they are not, have never been, and never will be FOTM. They are just good, fun inexpensive headphones.

Here's a question for you. Do you own a pair?

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #972 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Well I guess I'm a little late to the K81 lovefest, but I just pulled the trigger on these from Headroom, and the Senn. pads from Senn. USA. I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

Cool, welcome to the team Steve. Too bad I didn't know about the Senn pads, might have had you order me a pair.
tongue.gif

Oh well, I actally like the pleather pads... they are nice and soft.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #973 of 2,661
jumpin beans these 81s are a rockin'! music is redefined to my previously poor soggy ears which are now dancin gleefully like angels on whizz. i love 'em!!

they are also loosenin up on my head as i have stretched em out a bit. plus the more they play the better the sound, just wait til my burn in reaches optimum. bring on the sounds!

the pads are pretty smart, not sure i'll do velour just yet. gotta love the bumpin-bass for what it is first, gotta let the lovelies loosen to my sound-waves.

this is a worthy spend- and not too whipped on the wallet expenditure either!

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #975 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick

blink.gif

I think the K81DJ is far superior to the SR80. I sold the SR80 a while ago, so I cannot do a direct comparison, but considering how similar (good) the K81DJ sounds to my HF-1 (which I compared to my SR80), I can only conclude it would sound that much better than the SR80. The K81DJ isn't a giant killer, but when compared directly to one, it can more than hold its own. Honestly I think if sound quality dictated the price, then the K81DJ is easily a $100-150 headphone. Considering you can get them for $55 is both criminal and beautiful. [size=xx-small]Though I know part of their low price comes from them being made in China.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back