Official K-81 DJ thread
Jul 27, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #946 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai
Glad to see more people joining Team AKG K81DJ Velour Mod.
orphsmile.gif

I thought I knew what velour was until I saw those. They look fuzzy! I'm now trying to think if I've ever come in contact with velour before... Do the fuzzy dust removers for records use velour? Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

[EDIT] Ah I found this. Star Trek Uniforms!

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #950 of 2,661
My K81 (several month in usage) also do not succeed in reaching these MS1 mids. I don't mind, as the K81 react nicely to EQing. And anyway, not every music genre profits from the prominent MS1 mids IMO.

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #951 of 2,661
can someone post pics of them wearing the K81DJs on different angles? ive seen Jahn wearing them, but that was front on and couldnt seen much happening. so if someone can post some pics it would be great!

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #952 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116
How much will burn in help the midrange? I find it to be a little recessed compared to my MS-1's. Thoughts?

Spaz, have you tried the foam insert removal tweak yet? I found with my pair that after significan burn-in removing the foam pad over the driver (by simply pulling it out, it's held in place by pressure from the surrounds) realy brought the frequency balance onto a more even keel - keeping in mind that the K 81DJ's will always be a bit bass heavy (but with burn in and the pad removal tweak no where nearly as obvious.

Jul 28, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #954 of 2,661
What's the consensus of opinion regarding the K81DJs and the Sennheiser HD 25-1s? Both seem to be the main contenders for the best portable closed headphone label, so how do people who have heard both rank them? Of interest to me particularly is the sound regardless of price, and the types of music each is better suited for. For me the portablility would decide in favor of the AKGs, as they seem more compact for carrying and a little less obtrusive than the Senns for public wearing. But there are not so many comments comparing the sound of the two directly - although the AKGs are getting such glowing reviews am I safe in assuming that the Senns are now outclassed?

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #955 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
What's the consensus of opinion regarding the K81DJs and the Sennheiser HD 25-1s? Both seem to be the main contenders for the best portable closed headphone label, so how do people who have heard both rank them? Of interest to me particularly is the sound regardless of price, and the types of music each is better suited for. For me the portablility would decide in favor of the AKGs, as they seem more compact for carrying and a little less obtrusive than the Senns for public wearing. But there are not so many comments comparing the sound of the two directly - although the AKGs are getting such glowing reviews am I safe in assuming that the Senns are now outclassed?

I own both the phones mentioned but have only recently done a very quick A B comparison. The K81s have a really 'fun' sound, with lots of good punch and rich bass (which I love). I still have to do more listening between the two... it was such a quick test.... and I don't feel it worth me saying more. I am not really an 'audiophille' afterall, just someone who loves to enjoy his music with some nice headphones. The K81s are great vaule for money, I don't know of a better deal on a small closed headphone. The HD25s are built very well and offer great comfort* and SQ. I'll write more once I get around to comparing them some more.
smily_headphones1.gif

*with a splittable headband.

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #958 of 2,661
HELP!

My K81DJ has developed an intemittancy problem in the left channel.
frown.gif
I've had this happen before with other headphones, but it usually doesn't happen for at least a year and a half or more of use.

Granted, I use them for work-outs, but I would certainly have expected them to have lasted a *little* longer.

In any case, this may be a chance to shorten the cord. I would hate to have to buy a new pair. So I need some help/advice with that. I am not a hot-shot DIY-er and have never even used a soldering iron.

Is a soldering iron even necessary to replace the jack? Has anyone here posted instructions (with pics for dummies) for shortening the cable and re-attaching the jack (or a new jack)? How hard is it?

plainface.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #959 of 2,661
Quote:

What's the consensus of opinion regarding the K81DJs and the Sennheiser HD 25-1s?

Most posts I've read (also in the German forum) tend towards the direction that newbees, midfier and bassheads prefer the K81, whereas "serious" members (Stax, K701 & alike) prefer the more "audiophile" signature of the HD25-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back