Official K-81 DJ thread
Jul 26, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #931 of 2,661
well, i just jumped on this bandwagon and ordered one of the last 2 pairs on ebay for $55. was hoping for an a900 but at a third of the price, couldn't resist. should get tomorrow or friday...

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #932 of 2,661
$55 is a good price, i bought mine from TTVJ for retail, the day before i heard about them being on ebay for $55, but i found $69 to still be a good price for what i got
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #933 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by melondramatic
hey dude thanks that's great. I'll just be huntin for some tweakin advice then
biggrin.gif
just out of interest did u find that velour pads were any better, did you try them? I am just gonna hav to sit back and wait til these cans open up but in the mean time they are still pretty clever. really glad i checked out this doobedoo forum for such ace advice! nice one
tongue.gif

Haven't tried the "Velour" tweak as I'm more than satisfied with both the comfort and the sonics. Sorry.

And trust me, the more they burn in, the happier you're going to be that you bought them.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #934 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
Haven't tried the "Velour" tweak as I'm more than satisfied with both the comfort and the sonics. Sorry.

And trust me, the more they burn in, the happier you're going to be that you bought them.

i really hope the velour comes soon. it's hot and humid in NYC and the pleather is making my ears squeek.

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #937 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I'm probably not the best person to get amp advice from as I am infected with the audiophile sickness a bit too much lately... but people have been getting really good results with that DarkVoice tube amp and it is rather cheap.

We Darkvoice owners prefer the term inexpensive.
340smile.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #938 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
I just don't get it.
45 pages for the by far worst cans I own.
Even the cheap K75s do have a purpose, they turn bad recordings into something listenable on the go.

OTOH the K81s do turn every recording into a bad recording.
When I switch from my W5000s to the AKGs I get a serious shock and I'm almost vomiting.
Might be a generational thing or I dunno, when I was young the subwoofer and bassy car audio wasn't even invented.

It's not only teh bass, the whole FR is weird, the headstage is constricted, and the relatively good resolution just adds to the pain since it forces me to listen to detailed crap.On top of that they are as uncomfortable as it gets.

Even some experienced head-fiers do praise these torturing instruments.
Seems that individual differences in perception are even greater than I thought anyway.

This is funny because I found the W5000's unlistenable. Way too bright and shrill IMO. And I'm not a kid. Now the L3000's on the other hand were instant eargasm!

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #939 of 2,661
This is bad. All my headphones makes someone sick...real bad...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
This is funny because I found the W5000's unlistenable. Way too bright and shrill IMO. And I'm not a kid. Now the L3000's on the other hand were instant eargasm!

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #940 of 2,661
Jul 27, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #941 of 2,661
Got mine today and the isolation is great. Not as great as the HD280 Pro I have, but far more comfortable and much better sound (when talking loudly, you can just barely hear your voice). The clamp that people talk about isn't bad at all, especially coming from the HD280, try dj'ing in those for 3 or 4 hours and see how you feel about the AKG clamp force
smily_headphones1.gif

I love these headphones, don't need an amp, bass is very clean and punchy. Great overall headphone and ridiculously great for the money.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #942 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkRange
Got mine today and the isolation is great. Not as great as the HD280 Pro I have, but far more comfortable and much better sound (when talking loudly, you can just barely hear your voice). The clamp that people talk about isn't bad at all, especially coming from the HD280, try dj'ing in those for 3 or 4 hours and see how you feel about the AKG clamp force
smily_headphones1.gif

I love these headphones, don't need an amp, bass is very clean and punchy. Great overall headphone and ridiculously great for the money.

from the sound impressions so far it seems that they would sound way different than the hd-280...they aren't, after all, DJ-ing cans. i hated the hd280 when i heard them (the bass was anemic) so i think i'll be fine with the k81dj...

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #944 of 2,661
when I first heard about these phones , this thread did not exist..info was non existent - I took a punt and picked a winner..

these are the only phones I have owned so far I would replace.

hifi, ipod, amp, no amp musics always good through the K81's

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #945 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by murrmax
when I first heard about these phones , this thread did not exist..info was non existent - I took a punt and picked a winner..

these are the only phones I have owned so far I would replace.

hifi, ipod, amp, no amp musics always good through the K81's

Ah, Murrmax, give your headline, don't you mean "these are the only phones I have owned so far I would NOT replace."

Other than that, I agree totally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back