Official K-81 DJ thread
Jul 15, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #811 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
Holy CRAP these things hurt
blink.gif
blink.gif
. I have a large head, so I have to have them on 10 on both sides, and that is still stretching it. I have done the technique described here to loosen them up, but I don't think I can do anything about making them bigger. Unless something drastic changes, I will probably have to sell them
frown.gif

Gloom ole buddy, I guess you're going to have to go back and find the threads that will tell you exactly how best to stretch the K81DJ's out. It's not hard, but some folks (and it looks like you're one of them) have found it a necessity. Personally, I found that a little judicious bending of them cup to cup and pinching the headband for a few minutes (lightly but firmly) solved my problem. Or maybe I just got used to it - can't really say for sure. Waht I can say for sure is that I can now wear my pair for as ling as I want with no pain. Keep at it though, as the K81DJ's are worth the effort.

Oh, and after you have them burned in, try the pad removal tweak and see if you don't find them better balanced.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #812 of 2,661
mine just arrived via usps.

let the fun begin.
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #813 of 2,661
Can anybody compare the K81DJs to the Senn HD497s? Ive got the HD497 currently and enjoy them except for their limited bass extension, bass detail, and a lack of forward sounding mids. I still enjoy listening to them but am always up for a new bang for the buck upgrade, no matter how different they are from the HD497s. Always wanting to sample the different sounds, ya know?

I'm using a Zen Xtra and a PA2V2 is in the mail.

Thanks!!!!

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #814 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Try turning down the notches. I've found the more you go over on the notches, the more the cups tend to twist while clamped on your head. I myself went from a setting of 7 to 5 and trust me, it makes a world of difference.

Dude, they barely fit to my ears at 10. There is no way I can make them any smaller.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #815 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum
...But please: DON’T DO THIS BY FLEXING THE CENTRE OF THE HEADBAND DOWNWARDS!!!! This will actually INCREASE the pressure! Instead, push the ear cushions together and, holding them this way between the ‘heels’ of your hands, use your fingers to squeeze the arms of the headband together. Do this gently, and keep adjusting till they feel right. Do it too much and you’ll put a permanent bend in the visible steel band on top, so please be careful!

I've tried that technique to loosen the band, but it doesn't seem to be working. I know some people have found it useful, is there something that I could be doing wrong?

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #816 of 2,661
maybe i have an unusually large head, but at 10 they fit just right for me. any lower and i have to let the headband sit lower toward my forehead.

after 100 hours of burn in I can say the bass is not as overwhelming, with the pads off. not the best for critical listening, but enjoyable. second best headphone buy for me.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #817 of 2,661
well now mine have finally come and I am really exited. It might be stupid that I am listening to swan lake as my first real try out and these seem to be reputed electronica rock etc cans (music which I also love).

But tonight is a night for ballet and so far I am really enjoying these. They are actually so far more pleasant for classical than my sr 225's are. It really bothers me how my 225's deal with just few frequencies when it comes to classical, but all is well and I am excited that these tend to improove so much (although seemingly slowly) with some burnage!!

Karamazov hurah!!!

uhhh, im bored.
blink.gif
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #818 of 2,661
For the K81DJ users that have had their pair a bit longer or have had a longer burn in time, does the bass get less boomy after ~50 hours? I've burned it in approximately that amount of time and still find the bass too overbearing.

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #819 of 2,661
They do, but what I noticed is that they need much more time. Mine have some 200 hours on them and bass is much better than after 50 hours. I've also removed foam inserts.

Jul 17, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #820 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116
For the K81DJ users that have had their pair a bit longer or have had a longer burn in time, does the bass get less boomy after ~50 hours? I've burned it in approximately that amount of time and still find the bass too overbearing.

I've had mine for well over two months now, with many, many hours of burn in, and yes, the bass does calm down. But, to get the bass to best integrate with the balance of the sonic spectrum, you MUST remove the foam pad over the driver.

That said, the K81DJ's are still going to be noted for their bass. Just not like when they were new. Kepp burning them in, you're gonna love em.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #821 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116

They're bassy headphones. No amount of burn-in is going to change their basic nature.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #822 of 2,661
Perhaps I should clarify my earlier question. Right now the quantity of bass is fine, fun even, but it seems to be the near or the same frequency constantly. I'm hoping that the frequency response of the bass is the improvement that you guys have noticed.

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #823 of 2,661
Got mine today and out of the box they sound pretty darn good. They are almost impossible to wear with glasses b/c then they poke your head
mad.gif

These are my first "higher end" headphones and so far my only complain is comfort. I'll post again after they get some burn in.

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #824 of 2,661
I'm a member of team put the foam inserts back in because they sound too shrill without them.

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #825 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmins
I'm a member of team put the foam inserts back in because they sound too shrill without them.

Hmm... I think the exact opposite (the foam 'muffles' the sound too much for me). But that's just my opinion
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back