Official K-81 DJ thread
Jun 8, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #526 of 2,661
I'm lucky I guess, because I find both the headband and the clamping force on these cans to be no problem. However, I do find that the headband seems to be a bit short. I have to extend the thing ALL the way out to make the cups sit correctly on my ears. Anyone with a taller head than me would be SOL.

Did I mention that these headphones are really quite good???
basshead.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #527 of 2,661
Wins my 'head-vise of the year' award so far!
Tried the 'tong' method, but have squeezed so hard I'm afraid to break the plastic/metal strap. It's working gradually...I'm pushing the maximum headsize on the babies for sure, and can only wear them for like 10 minutes at a time.

Sound isolation is amazing!! I turned my amp up to WAY beyond listenable volumes, with the phones riding my speaker cabinets, and heard BARELY anything! Perfect to get your 'rock' on at work or whatever, or avoiding unpleasant looks on the train...

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #528 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
Wins my 'head-vise of the year' award so far!
Tried the 'tong' method, but have squeezed so hard I'm afraid to break the plastic/metal strap. It's working gradually...I'm pushing the maximum headsize on the babies for sure, and can only wear them for like 10 minutes at a time.

Sound isolation is amazing!! I turned my amp up to WAY beyond listenable volumes, with the phones riding my speaker cabinets, and heard BARELY anything! Perfect to get your 'rock' on at work or whatever, or avoiding unpleasant looks on the train...

Where did you get them? Tom Lee? Elsewhere? Do you have the lowdown on where to find them on the cheap in Canada?

Cheers.

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #529 of 2,661
Quote:

Where did you get them? Tom Lee? Elsewhere? Do you have the lowdown on where to find them on the cheap in Canada?

Cheers.

Got mine at axemusic.com. Same price as Tom Lee but shipping was cheaper for me, since I live in Ontario. Check shipping costs to see how much you're paying in total.

Jun 11, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #530 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
i've recabled them with mini-starquad. midrange and bass are even more

Did anyone else here try re-cabling these headphones and can share his opinion?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #531 of 2,661
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but...

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY [ie. musical enjoyment]

Remove those foam inserts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't even need to take of the pads. Just stick your finger in there and feel around. There is this thick foam insert that just must go. The pads themselves still have a little speaker cloth like cover that protects the driver, but there is a foam insert in there over top of it that just kills the highs and makes the bass overbearing.

After removing this, these are like litte portable magic K340's or something. It is absolutely nuts! :340smiley:

Ok, they aren't *quite* up to K340 standards... but damn good out of a portable player.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #533 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Holy crap!!!!!!
confused.gif
icon10.gif
Why did i never thought of trying that? -> Highly recommended
biggrin.gif

Third'ed
Popped em out w/o any trouble. They can go back fairly easily if you wish. (they arent attached in any way but held in between the pad and can)
Threw my notoriously sloppy bass heavy albums at it and its tightened up much more than I expected. Certainly worth a try for everybody as its darn near zero risk.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #535 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but...

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY [ie. musical enjoyment]

You don't even need to take of the pads. Just stick your finger in there and feel around. There is this thick foam insert that just must go. The pads themselves still have a little speaker cloth like cover that protects the driver, but there is a foam insert in there over top of it that just kills the highs and makes the bass overbearing.

After removing this, these are like litte portable magic K340's or something. It is absolutely nuts! :340smiley:

Ok, they aren't *quite* up to K340 standards... but damn good out of a portable player.
wink.gif

This seems like a revelation...if this changes the 81 that much, and if it's close to a 340, I just may go and get one!
eek.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #536 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

Those are some damn big inserts.

Impressions follow...

Seems to improve the soundstage - it now seems to extend out of the head. I could be imagining this, but it wouldn't be surprising if removing an obstruction would improve the soundstage. Instrument separation might also be improved.

Highs are definitely more present, very nice. Bass is definitely lessened in strength - very nicely balanced with the rest of the spectrum, now.

Wow, this makes them GREAT for classical. The best I have heard from headphones.

Yet they still retain their "good for everything" trait! This is incredible.

This sounds HiFi to me. I could easily live with these being my only headphones. THANK YOU! Your post must be publicized throughout HeadFi. Mind if I put a link to your post in my sig (I realize you have done this, but I think the more the better)?

Edit: In fact, these are the only headphones I'm going to be using from now on. Time to get off my ass and sell the SR225 and HD-595.

Jun 12, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #537 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang

Cheers.

TTVJ, but not so cheap. 69usd + 11usd shipping=80. Then, another $16 in taxes and 'handling' made these very close to $100 cans. I've since found cheaper options.

Damn Philodox - thanks for the tip, took those drink coasters out, and all the muffling is gone from the bass, much nicer sound overall, cleaner and better separated. And I can turn the volume down a little...

The little pads make excellent little wipers for sunglasses.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #538 of 2,661
I got mine on eBay. They're listed as $69.00 OBO with free shipping. They rejected my offer of $50 but sold them to me for $55 + free shipping. The company is Fascination Productions. Hope this helps...

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #539 of 2,661
Tried this weeks ago. Did not like the "foamless" sound, highs are overdominant and shrill then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back