Official K-81 DJ thread
May 26, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #436 of 2,661
i saw there was 1 left with one pending offer so i put in an offer for $58 and i won. hope the pending offer wasn't someone here. if so - sorry.
rolleyes.gif

my first AKGs. looking forward to listening to them!

May 26, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #437 of 2,661
OK, so satisfied/impressed was I with the K81DJ that I ordered a pair for my older brother. He was happily surprised. He definitely shares my music obsession; we're two peas in a pod when it comes to that-- he's a total music geek, but unlike me, he hasn't been able or willing to pursue the audio equipment side of the obsession, even though he owns thousands of CDs and LPs just like me. He's also a geeky collector of older titles and first pressings just like me. Dude *knows* more about music from the last 30 years than the average guy on the street will forget in 10 lifetimes.

Anyway, so he understands that I'm one of the most dedicated headphone geeks on the planet, he sort of understands the depth to which I'm involved in this hobby (even if he thinks it's insane and bizzarre), and he understands that I've spent A LOT on my audio system (just how much I didn't have the nerve to tell him). He's never spent a second of his life worried about cables or headphones or anything in his audio chain. He just likes music. Period.

So, the competition for the K81DJ were the stock headphones that came with his 12-year-old portable CD player. He told me "sure, they were a *bit* better", but not enough to get him hot and bothered. This left me upset and disappointed.
eek.gif

Then he came down to visit me, and I listened to the K81DJ's attached to his ancient portable CDP. And I fully understood why he wasn't wowed by them. That ancient CDP was an *awful* source. Just awful. It sounded miserable, even when (or especialy when) compared to my iPod Nano (which I normally use to listen to my K81DJs).

So I strapped my Sony R10's on his head and let my big brother spend an hour listening to my big rig, with CDs of his choice, convinced he would end the session totally knocked out. I mean, come on....
tongue.gif

So-- what did he have to say? In his opinion, my $7K system was "slightly" better than his portable CD player and stock headphones!
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

This was a wake-up call to me. I'd forgotten how deeply I'd gotten immersed in all this. This just goes to show that very smart, educated, and dedicated music lovers have to be *trained* just like anyone else to be able to appreciate "hi-fi". I easily forgot that it took me 18 years of listening and constant upgrading to get my ears to where they are now. Differences that seem OBVIOUS and HUGE to me will be all but inaudible and invisible to the average guy on the street (or Head-Fi newbie).

OK, anyway, that's my new K81DJ story...
orphsmile.gif

May 27, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #439 of 2,661
Hi. As usal one thing leads to another and I am thinking about an amp for these headphones. I have a Creative Muvo TX 512mb at present though i'm considering buying something with a little larger memory. From the reviews (and his Ebay feedback, his website and his approach to customer service....) I'm considering the PA2V2. Any thoughts on whether or not this would make enough of a difference with this set up to warrant buying one? Thanks

May 27, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #440 of 2,661
this can definitely improves with amping. may be more than you want to spend, but my AE-1 has great synergy, really BRINGS that bass, but tightens it up too with this can - even in the subway.

May 27, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #441 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceannrach
Hi. As usal one thing leads to another and I am thinking about an amp for these headphones. I have a Creative Muvo TX 512mb at present though i'm considering buying something with a little larger memory. From the reviews (and his Ebay feedback, his website and his approach to customer service....) I'm considering the PA2V2. Any thoughts on whether or not this would make enough of a difference with this set up to warrant buying one? Thanks

Id look for a little more neutral of an amp if you are teaming it with the AKGs. They are just below the amount of bass I can take before I get turned off by a can.

May 28, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #443 of 2,661
Thanks for the replies. I actually don't find the AKG's have any more bass than the PX100's. That could be down to the Creative player as I find I have to have all the EQ settings more or less at maximum to get a decent sound. My daughter's cheap Mp3 player has a better sound without the EQ than the Creative one and the bass increases a lot if you use one of the pre-set EQ settings. I listen mostly to metal anyway so bass isn't a problem, as long as it doesn't muffle everything else. I just find with both headphones that the music doesn't really come alive at lower volumes and I thought an amp might help with this. Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

May 28, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #444 of 2,661
Im currently listening to the two flavors of the month, the PINT and the K81DJ. And damn the bass on this is huge. Listening to some thumping rap songs and my brain feels like its shaking in my skull. But amazingly, it's not sloppy, but tight and impactful bass.

May 28, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #445 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
Im currently listening to the two flavors of the month, the PINT and the K81DJ. And damn the bass on this is huge. Listening to some thumping rap songs and my brain feels like its shaking in my skull. But amazingly, it's not sloppy, but tight and impactful bass.

Me too, and I completely agree. It's awesome.

May 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #446 of 2,661
i let my cousin try these at a picnic today and he was like "THIS SUCKS your hobby is @$$" until I asked him to describe the sound. he said "it's like everything's caved in and the sound is sucked out man" so i turned the sound off, and told him to move the cans back on his head until there was no more air or swooshing sound or anything. once he gave the nod (meaning i now knew he had a good seal - positioning is everything) i jacked up some Beastie Boys on 10 - and he shouted "DAYAAAAMMM YO DAN CHECK THIS OUT!"
basshead.gif

muahahaha.
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #448 of 2,661
Oh, you should. K81 is a higher leage than Creative EP-630 and Koss KCS-75 dead sure.
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #450 of 2,661
Tried 'em again yesterday - not feeling stressed in any way - and I could still feel myself getting a headache. (Though, switching to the PX100, which I can hardly feel, didn't stop the headache coming on.) Tried to bend the headband, but it didn't seem to move much.

I am reluctantly thinking of selling them. They are so great, but if I can only listen for 45 minutes before my head explodes I'm going to have to get a bigger bag to carry extra ibuprofen around in
mad.gif

I'll prop 'em over some books in the next few days and see if that helps stretch them...sigh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back