Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 3, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,696 of 10,664
From the first post of this thread:
So I've been gathering information on installing 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD's into the iPod classic. Really couldn't find much info on it at Head-Fi. So I'll post what I know. Need you all to help make this thread the best place for iPod Classic SSD mod info.

The iPod Classic runs off a 1.8" HDD. There are 4 iPod Classic models as follows:
-6th gen 80GB slim (1.8" PATA ZIF)
-6th gen 160GB fat (1.8" Ce-SATA)
-6.5 gen 120GB slim (1.8" PATA ZIF)
-7th gen 160GB slim (1.8" PATA ZIF)

The iPod Video runs off a 1.8" HDD. There are 4 iPod Video models as follows:
-5th gen 30GB slim (1.8" PATA ZIF)
-5th gen 60GB fat (1.8" PATA ZIF)
-5.5 gen 30GB slim (1.8" PATA ZIF)
-5.5 gen 80GB fat (1.8" PATA ZIF)

SSD mod will work in all the 5 and 5.5g iPods but if you get a fat iPod you will need to construct some type of foam frame to keep the SSD from loosely bouncing around. Slim one does not require that.

Notice the fat Classic has a different interface. I don't have any information on how to mod that one. It never interested me to find out but if you do have info for that you can share it.

All the slim iPod Classics are equally good to mod with an SSD but there is more information you need. Not just ANY 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD will work. You must carefully read the specs. For the SSD to work in the iPod the SSD must operate on 3.3 volts or less. I've basically found a few different voltages for 1.8" ZIF SSD's 5V and 3.3V and 3V. If it is a 5V version its not gonna even start up in the iPod at all.

3.3V and below low power SSD's

Super Talent ZT2 - Available in 32GB, 64GB, 128GB (256GB is 5V so it will not work) - 100% confirmation this drive works from ALO audio who makes an SSD iMod with this - 128GB can be had for 200 on eBay which is only 100 more than the 160GB slim HDD stock Toshiba

Renice K3vlar E - available in 30GB 60GB 120GB 240GB - All listed as 3.3V - No confirmation if working but there is no reason it should not work so a good choice to try out. As with all unproven start with the lowest cap and report findings.

Photofast Gmonster V4 - 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB - All listed as 3.3V - No confirmation if working but there is no reason it should not work so a good choice to try out. As with all unproven start with the lowest cap and report findings.

Mach Xtreme MX Nano - 30GB 60GB 120GB 240GB - Listed as 3.3V or 5V - but they do advertise on the site that it can be used to upgrade an iPod Video which is 99% certain it will work in the iPod Classic slim.

Sabertooth ZF - 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB - All listed as 3.3V - Untested; no reason it should not work.

Samsung 1.8" ZIF/PATA SLC 64GB SSD MCCOE64GEMPP - Listed as 3.3V - Site listed it as compatible with iPod - Don't know about other capacities but do note that this drive is SLC which offers much increased writing durability - 99% certain this drive will work

Took me a long time to search all these out. My goal is to have iPod Classic SSD modders to come here and make this the best source on the net for iPod SSD mod information. When I finally mod my SSD I will post pictures with a detailed guide step by step with a picture for each step unless someone beats me to it.

Any knowledge you have on this topic would be very appreciated posted here. I hope my hours and hours of research into this gives other new comers a nice head start into iPod Classic modding. Now I need you guys to really make this thread shine.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,698 of 10,664
Yes, but that is a µSATA not ZIF SSD so needs an adapter and verification if it would still fit in the iPod case with said adapter.

For the µSATA route, IIRC it had been generally determined that the SanDisk solutions were cheaper.

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,699 of 10,664
That's it all Super Talent 1.8 version are 5v, for that reson i bought it but probably for 256gb is that becouse doesn't work at all only show an RED X, but if i put the od one back to life, and the hard drive is brand new and is good

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,702 of 10,664
I saw a Toshiba HG5d mSATA ssd with 256gb for a good price.
In this picture, it says the drive is 3.3v:

http://i.imgur.com/C5QsIcI.jpg

I have a 5th gen 30gb iPod video.
Will this mSATA ssd work with an adaptor such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG

Is it plug and play?
Put the mSATA SSD on the mSATA SSD to 40 Pin ZIF Adapter Card and then de adapter on the iPOD?

Cheers!

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,704 of 10,664
  I saw a Toshiba HG5d mSATA ssd with 256gb for a good price.
In this picture, it says the drive is 3.3v:

http://i.imgur.com/C5QsIcI.jpg

I have a 5th gen 30gb iPod video.
Will this mSATA ssd work with an adaptor such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG

Is it plug and play?
Put the mSATA SSD on the mSATA SSD to 40 Pin ZIF Adapter Card and then de adapter on the iPOD?

Cheers!

Just make sure all cables are connected nicely -- iTunes should be able to identify the new HDD/SDD and prompt to auto-format. However, if your PC/MAC does not automatically recognise the mSATA, you will need to manually format the mSATA, using a different mSATA USB adapter.  This adapter will be useful, when there will be the occasional need to reboot the mSATA. This occurs sometimes when iPod battery goes flat while in use, and mSATA fails to shut down properly.  When this occurs, symptoms will be like an HDD or battery unable to charge problem, but actually just a need to reboot the mSATA.   No real biggie, just got to know that this sometimes happens, and it's really an easy fix. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,705 of 10,664

Just make sure all cables are connected nicely -- iTunes should be able to identify the new HDD/SDD and prompt to auto-format. However, if your PC/MAC does not automatically recognise the mSATA, you will need to manually format the mSATA, using a different mSATA USB adapter.  This adapter will be useful, when there will be the occasional need to reboot the mSATA. This occurs sometimes when iPod battery goes flat while in use, and mSATA fails to shut down properly.  When this occurs, symptoms will be like an HDD or battery unable to charge problem, but actually just a need to reboot the mSATA.   No real biggie, just got to know that this sometimes happens, and it's really an easy fix. 

Thank you for the reply.
So, the parts I mentioned, both the SSD mSATA and the adapter are compatible. I can buy these with no reserves that it will work?

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,710 of 10,664

Thank you for the reply.
So, the parts I mentioned, both the SSD mSATA and the adapter are compatible. I can buy these with no reserves that it will work?

Cheers!

It looks similar to the adapter that I used.   But you will have to try to be 100%, as I used a Crucial mSATA 256GB and got my adapter from a different source.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back