Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,681 of 10,664
My diymod 5g record running time of battery. No mod for the battery. All flac's playing thru LOD to amp, with 128GB CF card/Tarkan.

Nice! Details!  :D

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,683 of 10,664
Is it still the iPhone battery? And I have an 80GB 5.5G, would this fit inside? I know you said it wouldn't with the Tarkin mod and caps. I have the Tarkin mod, but will not have internal caps. I'm sending my iPod to Vinnie tomorrow to have the iMod done. Just curious if this is another possible upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR XT912 / CM 10.2

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,684 of 10,664
Is it still the iPhone battery? And I have an 80GB 5.5G, would this fit inside? I know you said it wouldn't with the Tarkin mod and caps. I have the Tarkin mod, but will not have internal caps. I'm sending my iPod to Vinnie tomorrow to have the iMod done. Just curious if this is another possible upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR XT912 / CM 10.2

No, not the iphone battery. I haven't worked on that battery since last time. Will definitely dig more into that thing. So at this point I don't think it will be an option for your mod.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,686 of 10,664
Hello,
I managed to swap my iPod Classic HDD for the 120GB Patriot SSD with the Tarkan's bundle but I'm experiencing some kind of issues now.
I used to connect my (HDD) iPod to the car radio via USB cable and it worked just fine with both mp3 and ALAC (Apple Lossless) files.
(http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-3400UB)
Right now it works fine with mp3 files but whenever I'm listening to some ALAC songs, it just freezes randomly, sometimes once every 3 songs, sometimes twice within one song.
Sometimes the radio displays the FRMT and 19 error which, according to the manual, might mean some troubles with file format or iPod failure.
The progress bar on the iPod is working, it is fully operational, but the input on the radio is just completely frozen, the only thing that helps is reconnecting the USB cable.
I tried the newest ALAC encoder, I even connected the iPod Nano with the ALAC files converted on the same computer and encoder and they work just fine.
Is SSD corrupting the playback via USB cable?
Should I try some SSD formatting or speed tests?
Would Rockbox solve my issue, does it feature playback using USB cable?

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,687 of 10,664
Hey guys I was thinking about doing something with my ipod, as I understand using CF is more power efficient than SSD right? And how much of a difference does using an LOD make compared to the 3.5 jack battery wise ?

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,688 of 10,664
Hey guys  after install this ssd hd:

Super Talent 1.8 inch SSD 256GB

Specifications:

1. Mfr Part Number: FZM56GW18P
  2. Capacity: 256 GB
  3. Form Factor: 1.8 inch
  4. Interface: ZIF
  5. Performance:
    1. Sequential Read Rate: 125 MB/s (max)
    2. Sequential Write Rate: 90MB/s (max)
  6. Shock: 1500G (operating)
  7. Vibration: 16G (operating)
  8. Operating Temperature: 0�C to +70�C
  9. Reliability:
    1. MTBF: >1,000,000 hours
    2. Data Reliability: Built-in EDC/ECC function
    3. Data Retention: 10 years
    4. Wear Leveling Algorithm: Patent Pending
  10. Power Supply: Vcc= 5V � 5%
  11. Dimensions: 51.97 x 69.97 x 5.10 mm
  12. Package: Complete metal housing

When i tried to restore nothing happen and after a a few seconds the ipod show x, but when i install anther hd (original 160gb) work fine.

Please help

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,690 of 10,664
  I forget this is the hard drive:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/5vob2r.jpg

I used the 128 GB version and it works like a champ, never used the double capacity version but I do not see why not. Have you purchased it already of you are thinking of doing it.
Someone in here mentioned that they had issues with RockBox using a similar drive however with my 128 GB version I have no problems whatsoever.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,692 of 10,664
  But what did you do when you installed the ipod recognize like a charm or needed to do something special

PD: I'm using apple firmware

You just have to switch the internal drive for this SSD one by substituting the old mechanical one using the ZIF interface with the SSD one.

Make sure iTunes is already up before you connect the iPod. Once you connect the iPod to your USB port, iTunes will show you the recovery screen and ask you to factory reset the drive. Just follow the instructions and iTunes will place the firmware on your new drive. Once you finalize the install, you will be booted back to iTunes with the new setup to provide the initial information for your iPod. Be patient because it takes close to 30 seconds for the iPod to be recognized as a new unit. That's it.

Then if you want you can try to load RockBox onto it but that is not necessary. The only issue is that you won't be able to play FLAC files if you don't.

Good luck!

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,694 of 10,664
Hey guys, after installation of this SSD:

[COLOR=333333]Super Talent 1.8 inch SSD 256GB[/COLOR]

Specifications:

• Mfr Part Number: FZM56GW18P
  • Capacity: 256 GB
  • Form Factor: 1.8 inch
  • Interface: ZIF
  • Performance:
    • Sequential Read Rate: 125 MB/s (max)
    • Sequential Write Rate: 90MB/s (max)
  • Shock: 1500G (operating)
  • Vibration: 16G (operating)
  • Operating Temperature: 0ºC to +70ºC
  • Reliability:
    • MTBF: >1,000,000 hours
    • Data Reliability: Built-in EDC/ECC function
    • Data Retention: 10 years
    • Wear Leveling Algorithm: Patent Pending
  • Power Supply: Vcc= 5V +/- 5%
  • Dimensions: 51.97 x 69.97 x 5.10 mm
  • Package: Complete metal housing

When I tried to restore, nothing happens, and after a few seconds the iPod shows the x; but when I install another HDD (original 160GB), it does work normally.

Please help
You should have chosen for the 3.3V version of the 256GB SSD drive. This prerequisite has been discussed at length in this thread.

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,695 of 10,664
You should have chosen for the 3.3V version of the 256GB SSD drive. This prerequisite has been discussed at length in this thread.

He's picked the duradrive version which some members had issues with. I have the standard one in the 128gb range and have never had any installation issues including RockBox with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back