Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,141 of 10,664
Hmm ... that sounds encouraging but how easy and reliable it is?

I can't speak for the Apple sync plugin, as I have not tried it myself. But Foobar is certainly reliable..and very customizeable. It's what I use as my computer player.
I really need to get around to utilizing that plugin so I can ditch my mirror ALAC library. My laziness has gotten the best of me to date.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,142 of 10,664
Quote:
I can't speak for the Apple sync plugin, as I have not tried it myself. But Foobar is certainly reliable..and very customizeable. It's what I use as my computer player.
I really need to get around to utilizing that plugin so I can ditch my mirror ALAC library. My laziness has gotten the best of me to date.

If I can use a plugin to convert say 200GB's of flac's/cue's to ALAC's overnight, that would be great.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,143 of 10,664
Quote:
That's not necessarily hard evidence that there's a cap.  A "256GB" hard drive isn't 256 Gigabytes to begin with, and won't yield 240 Gigabytes, anyway (more like 238 Gigabytes).  Only by trying a 512GB (advertised) drive will we know if there is, indeed, a firmware/hardware imposed limit on capacity.

Here's a good post on advertised vs. actual hard drive capacity:  http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1347640

Exactly, my 256GB mSATA iPod shows 238GB of usable space for storage just like you say.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #1,144 of 10,664
Quote:

So 256GB drives are good. Why don't we all chip in and donate that 512GB Samsung PM841 mSATA drive to Rockbox developer?

Unless someone owning multiple generations of iPod is happy to buy one locally and return that drive easily if necessary, it's still quite a bit of money to spend just for testing the compatibility / functionality of that 512GB drive.

It's gonna be like 20 bucks a piece if there were two dozens of us willing to participate. Of course we're fully aware that 256GB drive did not work well with Rockbox at all but it's so far so good with stock firmware. In the end we could at least tell how good 512GB version is working with stock firmware while that Rockbox developer could have yet another drive to play with.

Basically we just need a well known senior member here to get this organized as long as we aren't breaking any rules at all.

I am getting some money next Monday that I wasn't expecting. 
atsmile.gif

I would be happy to order the 512GB mSATA card, but I am not sure about to easy return the drive if it doesn't work, which company other than Amazon has a no hassle return policy?

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,145 of 10,664
OK guys, just tried using the foobar to convert the flac's/cue's to ALAC's. Yes it works like a charm. 
L3000.gif

Just follow the instructions in this post.....

NOW I need to order a 256GB mSATA, only if the whole thing can accommodate the caps in my modded ipod.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,146 of 10,664
Quote:
Foobar.

You can read/load your iPod, and there's a tweak that will even convert your flac files to Apple Lossless automatically, when you copy them from your library to your iPod.

True enough...and it is a worthy experiment. But at the same time, one would expect the two drives to return DIFFERENT levels of available storage, with the 256gb being slightly higher. That experiment has been done - and they do not do so. So the iPod does not even take advantage of the sliver of additional space made available in a 256gb drive over a 240gb drive. Hence my pessimism.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,147 of 10,664
Quote:
True enough...and it is a worthy experiment. But at the same time, one would expect the two drives to return DIFFERENT levels of available storage, with the 256gb being slightly higher. That experiment has been done - and they do not do so. So the iPod does not even take advantage of the sliver of additional space made available in a 256gb drive over a 240gb drive. Hence my pessimism.

Which 240GB drive are you talking about?

It may be a simple case that the manufacturer actually advertised the drives capacity as what it would appear to be in Windows.  There's a Renice 240GB msata SSD that is just that.  Drives from different manufacturers may reserve different amounts of space for over provisioning and firmware, thus yielding different formatted capacity.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,148 of 10,664
Quote:
OK guys, just tried using the foobar to convert the flac's/cue's to ALAC's. Yes it works like a charm. 
L3000.gif

Just follow the instructions in this post.....

NOW I need to order a 256GB mSATA, only if the whole thing can accommodate the caps in my modded ipod.

Cool beans!

The mSATA and adapter looks positively tiny compared to the stock hard drive.  There's plenty of room for caps, inside.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,149 of 10,664
Quote:

I am getting some money next Monday that I wasn't expecting. 
atsmile.gif

I would be happy to order the 512GB mSATA card, but I am not sure about to easy return the drive if it doesn't work, which company other than Amazon has a no hassle return policy?

I was gonna say try TigerDirect, but they don't even carry the drive.

Does Amazon even have it yet? That's pretty quick. I would say just stick with Amazon since their return policy is so nice. If it works, it works, if not, ship it back.

Also I must be an odd one out because I don't actually mind the Apple firmware. I've just gotten so accustomed to it that I use either Rockbox or Apple. Teehee.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,150 of 10,664
Quote:
I was gonna say try TigerDirect, but they don't even carry the drive.

Does Amazon even have it yet? That's pretty quick. I would say just stick with Amazon since their return policy is so nice. If it works, it works, if not, ship it back.

Also I must be an odd one out because I don't actually mind the Apple firmware. I've just gotten so accustomed to it that I use either Rockbox or Apple. Teehee.

Yeah, I think I will have to wait until Amazon sells it. I rather use rockbox but the increased storage capacity is more important to me. Still I do lossless but ALAC using foobar to convert my FLACs on the fly!

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,152 of 10,664
Hey guys, first post here on head-fi, gotta say it's been a font of knowledge so far for someone who wants to start getting into higher quality audio. I've been sitting waiting to purchase some entry level IEMs (Philips Fidelio S1's after quite a bit of reading) to replace the pretty much basic tiers I've been using (Sennheiser CX300s and some 400s currently which I'm damn positive aren't kosher). This has lead me into wanting to get a decent source aswell after seeing the Galaxy S2 isn't really tops with it's Yamaha DAC (it might be alright for me just getting started but I'd like to put some money into a decent source, something dedicated is always nice to have, also good if I want to jump up the tiers or get some closed ears in the future) with a hell of a lot of people recommending the classic I'd thought I'd try it, preferably rockboxed as I can't stand Apple's software givings at all and after previous use on an iRiver H10 I liked the way it worked.

Anyways, to the point. Could I get away with buying a second hand classic off of ebay for a smaller cost that's only listed as not being able to sync with iTunes? After a quick search this seems it's a problem relating solely to the drive dying.  Would I be better off paying the extra cost and getting something which is known working or is a drive replacement a fix for that? The saved money would go directly into getting an mSATA and as far as I'm aware Rockbox can't handle anything over 128GB so I'd be getting something that size. Aswell as that if I can get an SSD working in the classic it's operational life time would increase tenfold with next to nil moving parts.

Thanks guys, looking forward to seeing what you recommend.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,153 of 10,664
i bought 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Q2PD6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FD1D2C/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

finally saved up enough money to do this, now im encountering problem after problem after problem. it is simply impossible to do this without a good guide. ive read all these posts, tried everything i can, i just am at a loss as to what to do. i know this is an old thread, but is there any chance anyone here who has a lot of experiance with these things is still around? i could use some help with my (numerous) problems.

to name a few, both my ipods reboot about 40 secs after disk mode, my computer sometimes recognises my ipods, and sometimes doesnt, and when it does, the information is either all wrong or it is not accessible at all.
ive tried using different cords, ports, computers, reinstallations, nothing works.

on a side note, is it possible to install rockbox on my ssd without even having apple firmware? if so, then i may be able to just skip all that mess and confirm that my problem can be somewhat fixed before i have a nervous breakdown. i have been at this for well over 7 hours and i need a break.

i can chat in pm, over skype (preffered) or any other way that is more comfortable to you. thank you.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,154 of 10,664
Quote:
Hey guys, first post here on head-fi, gotta say it's been a font of knowledge so far for someone who wants to start getting into higher quality audio. I've been sitting waiting to purchase some entry level IEMs (Philips Fidelio S1's after quite a bit of reading) to replace the pretty much basic tiers I've been using (Sennheiser CX300s and some 400s currently which I'm damn positive aren't kosher). This has lead me into wanting to get a decent source aswell after seeing the Galaxy S2 isn't really tops with it's Yamaha DAC (it might be alright for me just getting started but I'd like to put some money into a decent source, something dedicated is always nice to have, also good if I want to jump up the tiers or get some closed ears in the future) with a hell of a lot of people recommending the classic I'd thought I'd try it, preferably rockboxed as I can't stand Apple's software givings at all and after previous use on an iRiver H10 I liked the way it worked.

Anyways, to the point. Could I get away with buying a second hand classic off of ebay for a smaller cost that's only listed as not being able to sync with iTunes? After a quick search this seems it's a problem relating solely to the drive dying.  Would I be better off paying the extra cost and getting something which is known working or is a drive replacement a fix for that? The saved money would go directly into getting an mSATA and as far as I'm aware Rockbox can't handle anything over 128GB so I'd be getting something that size. Aswell as that if I can get an SSD working in the classic it's operational life time would increase tenfold with next to nil moving parts.

Thanks guys, looking forward to seeing what you recommend.

As far as I am aware whilst you can replace the drive with an msata one and use itunes, you can't use rockbox at all no matter what msata size it uses.  You would be better off getting a toshiba 240 gig hard drive and sticking that in there instead if you want rockbox, but even that needs a little researching (5th, or 7th gen) but do a  little digging as the infos in the thread. 

Oh and welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,155 of 10,664
Quote:
As far as I am aware whilst you can replace the drive with an msata one and use itunes, you can't use rockbox at all no matter what msata size it uses.  You would be better off getting a toshiba 240 gig hard drive and sticking that in there instead if you want rockbox, but even that needs a little researching (5th, or 7th gen) but do a  little digging as the infos in the thread. 

Oh and welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet.

Ahh cool. Nice to know before I dived in. I'll have a trawl through the thread.

Ahaha, thanks. It's contents have to go somewhere. It's a good cause
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back