Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,171 of 10,664
I think none of the mSATA solutions work with Rockbox right now, only original Apple firmware.  Not sure how long it's gonna be until the Rockbox devs figure it out so I just ordered a Toshiba 160GB to upgrade my 5G 30GB.
Quote:
Tried the mSATA adapter and none of the iPods like it, on the iPod 6th generation all I got was a red X and on the 5.5th it showed a sad face and then turned off.

Tried it using both a 24gb mSATA card and a 256gb mSATA with the same results.

I have available the adapter and 24gb card I can mail it to anyone that would like wants to try them on his iPod.

Edit -  Tried the 24gb mSATA card with the 5.5th gen iPod and this adapter  the iPod accepted it, connected it to iTunes and restored then after done and working fine I went ahead and did the RockBox installation, the iPod rebooted and got this same error on the screen like other guys are getting with the 256gb card.  So this means that the card size have nothing to do with the error, maybe the mSATA to zif adapter is the problem here?

May 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,172 of 10,664
Quote:
I think none of the mSATA solutions work with Rockbox right now, only original Apple firmware.  Not sure how long it's gonna be until the Rockbox devs figure it out so I just ordered a Toshiba 160GB to upgrade my 5G 30GB.

If I were you, I would get a 128GB CF unless that 32GB difference really matters. With the CF, you will have greatly improved battery life, lighter ipod, more responsive and durable drive. If you are thinking about diymod in the future, the CF will be able to accommodate a pair of Silmic II caps inside the ipod.

Yeah as for the RB on the mSATA, I don't hold out much hope now.

May 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,173 of 10,664
With the CF + adapter it would come out close to $150.  I spent $74 for a 160GB.  Battery life and durability is not too big of an issue as I'm pretty careful with my electronics and I can change it at work daily.  I did consider CF, but the price on the HD ultimately won me over :)
Quote:
If I were you, I would get a 128GB CF unless that 32GB difference really matters. With the CF, you will have greatly improved battery life, lighter ipod, more responsive and durable drive. If you are thinking about diymod in the future, the CF will be able to accommodate a pair of Silmic II caps inside the ipod.

Yeah as for the RB on the mSATA, I don't hold out much hope now.

May 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,174 of 10,664
Quote:
With the CF + adapter it would come out close to $150.  I spent $74 for a 160GB.  Battery life and durability is not too big of an issue as I'm pretty careful with my electronics and I can change it at work daily.  I did consider CF, but the price on the HD ultimately won me over :)

Yeah if you don't use an amp then you can always charge the ipod....

May 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,178 of 10,664
Man I am having trouble with this 128GB CF card for my ipod 5.5g/30GB model. I have tried it on two of my 5.5g/30GB ipods with both the Tarkan adapter and this adapter without success. The iTunes will detect them and restore it, then right after the restore the ipod keeps rebooting and it won't be detected by iTunes. I first thought there was a problem with the CF card, and the replacement came in and still has the same problem. I am sure the CF card has been properly formatted to FAT32 using the HP USB utility.

However, I also tried the two adapters with other CF cards of 4GB, 8GB and 32GB and they all work. So I am wondering if the 128GB's are too much for the 5.5g/30GB models to handle. Interestingly I have the same 128GB CF with Tarkan and they work on another 5g/60GB model.

Should I try another type of 128GB CF card for the 5.5g/30GB model?

EDIT: Just tried that 128GB CF on a 5.5g/80GB. Still the same problem. The iTunes restores it and nothing happens after that. The ipod just keeps rebooting.

May 5, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #1,179 of 10,664
Sorry, I'm new to all of these things and to dig through every page to find out what I'm looking for would be overwhelming.

Basically, I intend to purchase the latest-generation iPod Classic since it appears to be the best source according to this site

What steps do I take to optimize it upon purchase aside from buying an amp/dac? Around how much is it going to run me in order to ensure I optimize the iPod?

May 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,180 of 10,664
Quote:
Sorry, I'm new to all of these things and to dig through every page to find out what I'm looking for would be overwhelming.

Basically, I intend to purchase the latest-generation iPod Classic since it appears to be the best source according to this site

What steps do I take to optimize it upon purchase aside from buying an amp/dac? Around how much is it going to run me in order to ensure I optimize the iPod?

If by optimize you mean upgrade the only upgrade for the 7th gen iPod Classic is the 240gb hard drive, the kit can be ordered on eBay here's a link for one of the listings.

May 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,183 of 10,664
Quote:
If by optimize you mean upgrade the only upgrade for the 7th gen iPod Classic is the 240gb hard drive, the kit can be ordered on eBay here's a link for one of the listings.

From what I'm seeing...this only increases the speed performance. Is this really necessary? I was under the assumption that this thread primarily revolved around improvement in sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back