Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #406 of 10,664
LOL. I knew SSD =\= HDD and what each means.

I meant that I do not understand why SSD would not work (while HDD of same capacity works), since interface is the same PATA ZIF as HDD. Unless you put in a SSD that requires >3.3v which iPod cannot supply. Or your SSD requires a special driver. Since you said those SSDs have been confirmed to work in 5.5 gen, I assume you knew what SSD should work and what should not.

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #407 of 10,664
I was thinking of getting a that would work super talent 128 SSD for a brand new Ipod 7th gen, I am buying.  Not sure if that is wise; becasue I read about things like the screen going out in a year for example.  So  2 questions.  Do you think as long as I don't get a lemon, that it would be worth it, and   might have a good SSD player for a long time?  Secondly, other than taking the current HDD out and putting the new one in, and restoring the ipod is that all you have to do?  I have read about needing to format the HDD, by hooking it up to say my Mac....do you have to do that? or is this ready to plug and play?
Thank you!

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #408 of 10,664
Just an update on my end; the SATA adapter arrived last week but unfortunately it doesn't fit the SSD I have..  For some reason, it is the correct size, but the little piece that fits in the SSD's notch (in the connector) is too wide and doesn't let the SSD slide on.  So I'll have to order the ZIF-to-IDE adapter that was suggested before.  Unfortunately, I'm really busy right now (hency why I didn't post this last week lol), so it may be a few weeks before I can get around to doing that :/

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #410 of 10,664
Quote:
Where to buy the super talent 128 SSD at the lowest price? It appears this product has been continued. I am torn about decision between a 240GB HDD and a 128GB SSD.

I am using the 240gb and it works great, not even a hiccup. Will upgrade to something bigger when something else is available.  (I have over 400GB of lossless files)

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #413 of 10,664
Hi there,

I have been reading this thread and got completely lost about 5 pages in....so just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 5.5g iPod video with 80Gb HDD at the moment.

I am contemplating getting this iModded, replacing the battery and changing the HDD for a larger SDD.

Can anybody confirm what the largest SDD that works with the 5.5g is (is it 256Gb) and also what drive would be recommended? Also is this just a case of removing the original HDD and replacing it with the SDD...are all the connectors the same? or do I need to do any other mods..get an adaptor etc.

Also when I have replaced the drive how do you get the software back onto it? do you just connect it to iTunes and it automatically reformats the drive with OS and Software? I am also using Rockbox at the present time...so I assume just a case of reinstalling this after the Apple Software?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get deinitive answers to help me :)

Regards 
Jason

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #414 of 10,664
Quote:
I've got the 7th generation with 160 GB (slim), and 57 MB left... so it's time to upgrade.

If I get this right:
Toshiba MK2431GAH 240 GB (8mm thick) will work with a thicker back plate?
Mach Xtreme Technology MXSSD1MNANOZ 240 GB (5mm thick) will work with the regular backplate?

Yes for sure to the Toshiba.
I have been able, with no issues, to upgrade several 160gb iPod 7Gs using the Toshiba hard drive you listed above.
Several others have done the same.

The SSD is another matter.
Unfortunately, the experience with the hard drive above has NOT translated to success with SSDs.
I have tried the SuperTalent DuraDrive 1.8" 256GB PATA-ZIF SSD
I have tried the Renice K3VLAR 1.8" 256GB PATA-ZIF SSD
I also tried each with pre-formatting both on a PC with the right filesystem configuration

I did each of the attempts multiple times and NEVER got past the "big red x".
I cannot explain WHY these drives do not work in the iPod Classic 7g, but it appears that they do not.

A couple of things to note:
1) CAREFUL reading of the forum history here shows NOBODY has managed to get the 7G working with an SSD. LOTS of people have upgraded 5.5g iPod Videos with SSDs. LOTS of people have upgraded iPod 7Gs with the Toshiba 240GB HARD disk drive (HDD). But NOBODY has managed (yet) to combine an SSD and an iPod classic 7G.
2) The specific drive you reference has yet to be tried as far as I know.
3) While it is possible that my failures were due to some kind of mistake on my part - it is unlikely since the skillset needed to upgrade to a larger HDD is the exact same as that required to upgrade to an SSD, and I have successfully upgraded NUMEROUS (2 for me, several for friends and family) iPod Classic 7Gs to 240GB Toshiba Drives.

One approach
If you have a justifiable alternative use for the SSD you mentioned above, by all means give it a go. Then, if it does not work, the money is not wasted.
(I failed twice - so I use one of mine for aux storage for my Android Tablet and I use the other as an image backup for the main hard drive on my laptop - which is also an SSD.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #415 of 10,664
Well I have taken the plunge and bought a Mach Extreme Technology 120Gb Nana ZIF Series 1.8" Pata SSD, http://www.mx-technology.com/en/product/ssd2.php?sid=4 , for my 5.5g 80GB iPod. I paid £119.99 for it here in the UK.....I wanted the 240Gb drive but wasnt willing to pay nearly £450.00 for it.

Hopefully the install will go without problems and without me completely buggering up my iPod :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #416 of 10,664
Quote:
Yes for sure to the Toshiba.
I have been able, with no issues, to upgrade several 160gb iPod 7Gs using the Toshiba hard drive you listed above.
Several others have done the same.

The SSD is another matter.
Unfortunately, the experience with the hard drive above has NOT translated to success with SSDs.
I have tried the SuperTalent DuraDrive 1.8" 256GB PATA-ZIF SSD
I have tried the Renice K3VLAR 1.8" 256GB PATA-ZIF SSD
I also tried each with pre-formatting both on a PC with the right filesystem configuration

I did each of the attempts multiple times and NEVER got past the "big red x".
I cannot explain WHY these drives do not work in the iPod Classic 7g, but it appears that they do not.

1) CAREFUL reading of the forum history here shows NOBODY has managed to get the 7G working with an SSD. LOTS of people have upgraded 5.5g iPod Videos with SSDs. LOTS of people have upgraded iPod 7Gs with the Toshiba 240GB HARD disk drive (HDD). But NOBODY has managed (yet) to combine an SSD and an iPod classic 7G.
3) While it is possible that my failures were due to some kind of mistake on my part - it is unlikely since the skillset needed to upgrade to a larger HDD is the exact same as that required to upgrade to an SSD, and I have successfully upgraded NUMEROUS (2 for me, several for friends and family) iPod Classic 7Gs to 240GB Toshiba Drives.

One approach
If you have a justifiable alternative use for the SSD you mentioned above, by all means give it a go. Then, if it does not work, the money is not wasted.
(I failed twice - so I use one of mine for aux storage for my Android Tablet and I use the other as an image backup for the main hard drive on my laptop - which is also an SSD.)

Thank you for your answer! I'll think about the HDD for a while... the SSD is just gonna be a waste of money because I don't have any other use for it.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #417 of 10,664
[size=16pt]Well I tried the kingspec 128gb KSD-ZF18.6-XXXMS or KSD-ZF18.6-128MS that I got on Ebay for $133 in a 60gb 5th gen not 5.5 and it did not work. I could get it to restore and show 117gb in iTunes but when I tried to copy music to the IPod I was getting could not read or write errors so I purchased a 120gb 6th gen IPod from eBay with a bad hard drive and I worked perfectly. Know I ordered a CF to Zif adapter, going to try that on the 5th gen to see if that will work. I have been trying a Transcend CF 64gb and 32gb on a 2nd gen IPod mini and that is not working so I ordered a 1st gen mini and waiting for that also. I have read that the Dolgix 64gb Compact Flash is working with the IPod’s and it is $59 at Amazon. So if I can get either IPod to work with a cf I will be returning the Transcend because they are twice the price of Dolgix 64gb cf. I will post any updates when I receive the shipments. Thanks for the great info.[/size]

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #419 of 10,664
Quote:
[size=16pt]Well I tried the kingspec 128gb KSD-ZF18.6-XXXMS or KSD-ZF18.6-128MS that I got on Ebay for $133 in a 60gb 5th gen not 5.5 and it did not work. I could get it to restore and show 117gb in iTunes but when I tried to copy music to the IPod I was getting could not read or write errors so I purchased a 120gb 6th gen IPod from eBay with a bad hard drive and I worked perfectly. .......[/size]

Welcome to Headfi and thanks for the info.
Just to confirm, you have tried yourself and found that:

[size=16pt]1) kingspec 128gb KSD-ZF18.6-XXXMS or KSD-ZF18.6-128MS   does NOT work in your [/size][size=16pt]60gb 5th gen[/size];

but

[size=16pt]2) kingspec 128gb KSD-ZF18.6-XXXMS or KSD-ZF18.6-128MS   DOES work in your [/size][size=16pt]120gb 6th gen[/size];

Is the above your actual, real-world experience? Per Headfier "Laird" (please see his following comments), no one has ever had any success with a SSD in a 7 gen (you might be the first successful user?).
IIRC, "7 gen" is also known as "6 gen 2nd revision", which is essentially a 6 gen with a 160GB single-platter hard drive):

Originally Posted by Laird 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back