Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #376 of 10,664
Well, the ZIF-to-mSATA adapter has arrived, and now I'm waiting three days for the 32GB SSD (largest I could afford right now..buying three adapters and SSD's for each is expensive for college kids like me lol).  The adapter definitely looks like it will fit; it's actually so small that I may have some issues keeping it from sliding around..but I won't know for sure until the SSD is mounted/installed.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

P.S.
If my tests are successful, there is a Crucial 240GB mSATA SSD that fits this adapter; not sure if that would work but that's my hopeful plan for this iPod, just need to save some money to get it (it costs around $250).

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #378 of 10,664
Quote:
^ Please keep in mind that any drive that requires >3.3v may not work in iPod. Does that mSATA SSD work on 3.3v or lower? Best of luck on the project.

It works on 3.3v (according to the adapter's specs), so we'll see if it works.  I'm pretty sure the 32GB will work, just not sure about the 240GB..but either way it'll be interesting lol.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #379 of 10,664
This might be off topic. But for anyone who does not mind carrying an extra box along with an iPhone/iTouch, now you can take/play 1000GB of flac on-the-go with you. Said box is a portable NAS that costs $230 (with a 1TB hdd) and has a size that is similar to a HM801 or an Objective2 amp.

For details, please read on this thread:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/620238/1000gb-flac-on-the-go-successfully-streaming-to-iphone-ipad-android-portables

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #381 of 10,664
Well, bad news guys.  I got the ZIF-to-mSATA adapter and a 32GB Crucial SSD for it, and it doesn't work :frowning2:  It says 3.3v but the iPod just shows the red "X" the whole time, so unless I'm having bad luck I think this adapter is a no-go (either that or the specs I read were lying about 3.3v).  If anyone thinks I missed anything please let me know, otherwise I'll be sending the 32GB SSD back to Newegg.  Going to stick with the Tarkan adapter for now I guess :/

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #382 of 10,664
^ See page 19, post #271 of this thread:

"Make sure you keep fiddling with the ribbon connecting the ssd.  I got the red x when installing and ssd into my 7g classic over and over and kept messing with the ribbon cable and finally got it to work flawlessly.  It was the super talent 64gb drive so I can't confirm that the 256 will work but I would suggest to kept trying it a few more times."

I do not have an iPod to help right now, but I would google "iPod red X" and see if there is additional fix.

This is from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1463

Symptoms

You may experience an issue on your iPod where the iPod will show a red "X" icon on the display as shown below:

TS1463_1.jpg

Resolution

Restore iPod from Disk Mode

Another answer:
1. Try a reset. Press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see an apple logo.

2. If that does not work, Press and hold the menu and the center buttons together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, press and hold the center button and the bottom button (play/pause) together for 10-15 sec. You may get a disc mode message on your ipod screen.

Now connect it to the computer, open itunes and try to restore the ipod.  If that too does not work, the ipod has to be repaired/replaced, unfortunately.

For an iPod with HDD, people actually hit it hard on its side to get it to work (but I do not think this is the way to go for a SSD iPod):
http://www.fixya.com/support/t605515-red_x_icon_ipod

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #383 of 10,664
Quote:
^ See page 19, post #271 of this thread:

"Make sure you keep fiddling with the ribbon connecting the ssd.  I got the red x when installing and ssd into my 7g classic over and over and kept messing with the ribbon cable and finally got it to work flawlessly.  It was the super talent 64gb drive so I can't confirm that the 256 will work but I would suggest to kept trying it a few more times."

Yeah I tried that; I have used multiple cables, plugged and unplugged them, even flipped them upside down to make sure that I wasn't looking at the adapter the wrong way..nothing works :frowning2:  Maybe I have a DOA unit; no way to tell right now.  If anyone else is willing to try this go ahead; perhaps you will have better results.  For now I'm going to call this one a failure, since I can't test the unit without the iPod (so no control).  Really disappointing..there was a sweet 240GB drive that fits this adapter :frowning2:

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

*EDIT*
Would I be having this problem if the drive isn't properly formatted to Fat32?  I haven't tried that yet since I don't have an adapter for my desktop right now; would it be worth looking into before I return the drive?

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #384 of 10,664
^ I would suggest to try fat32 formatting as it is an old universal format. The stock format of SSD may be too new for your old iPod.

Also please try to reset, manually put your iPod (with SSD connected) into Disk mode, go to iTunes and restore iPod. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for trying out for everyone here!

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #387 of 10,664
Quote:
Brendan / NinjaNife:
The adapter that seeteeyou provided should help you format the SSD with your desktop. I can PayPal gift you $9 to buy that adapter; please simply PM me your PayPal email.

I got it already, thanks for the offer though.  That adapter doesn't actually work in my situation, since I'm using an mSATA SSD, not a ZIF SSD (that's another guy who is trying out the MX-Technology ZIF drive).  Here are links to the hardware I am currently testing:

CE-to-mSATA Adapter:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251140471738
mSATA 32GB SSD:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148610
mSATA-to-SATA Adapter (orderered this morning):  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P6PBAQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

The mSATA-to-SATA Adapter should arrive next Monday; at that time I will format the SSD to the specs listed in the thread (linked two posts above).  Hopefully that works, if not, I don't know what else to do.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #390 of 10,664
Quote:
^ A mSATA-to-SATA adapter will surely work.

But since you have a ZIF-to-mSATA already, you should be able to use:
mSATA SSD --> ZIF-to-mSATA adapter --> ZIF-to-SATA Adapter --> SATA from desktop

I thought that is what seeteeyou proposed. Maybe too many adapter there.

Ohhh..yeah I totally missed that one lmao xD  My apologies.  I don't think I have an IDE cable with me anyway (I'm currently away from home for a few months for work), so I think I'll get a ZIF-to-SATA adapter instead.  Here is one I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables-Adapter-Converter/dp/B004UV2WDS/ref=sr_1_39?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347386382&sr=1-39

Do you think this one would work just as well?

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Users who are viewing this thread

Back