Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #106 of 10,664
This is frustrating.  I just put the new drive in an old 5.5G, plugged it into my new Mac Mini and iTunes says I need to connect it via Firewire.  Unfortunately, the only Fireware cable I have is a 400 and the only port on the Mac is an 800.  On my PC, it gets almost to the end and I get an Unknown Error.

I just order an adapter for the Firewire, but I won't get it until Wednesday.

It also takes a hell of a long time for iTunes in windows to even recognize the iPod.  Windows recognizes it right away, just iTunes doesn't.

Success: Following a tutorial on apple support, I put it in disk mode and took it back out and it was recognized by my Mac with a USB cable

beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #108 of 10,664
I will take it off you hands... PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

Quote:
Dang it! I wish I would have known that before buying my 128GB SSD. I totally would have waited and bought the 256GB SSD when I had saved enough.....

OH WELL!

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #112 of 10,664

Quote:
Link doesn't seem to be working.

It was working earlier today, maybe the site is down.
There is a thread on the DIYMod in the DIY section of this Forum.
RC

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #113 of 10,664

Quote:
Hi all, I just found this thread today. I ordered a 256gb super talent from superbiiz with a coupon for $469 usd total last week. It came in yesterday and I installed it successfully in my 5g iPod video. Works wonderfully. I rockboxed it and installed about 215gb of music. Will post a pic later with the about page showing capacity. No picks of the intall. The part # on superbiiz is FZM56GW18P. No tax free shipping and I did find a coupon hat got me 20$ off but I don't remember where.

Are you sure that this FZM56GW18P is the part number? When I checked the spec sheet it says Power Supply: Vcc= 5V ± 5%, not 3.3V. There is another model listed, the 
MasterDrive GF IDE ZIF instead of the DuraDrive ZT2 ZIF which you mentioned, that has a 3.3V power supply.
However the latter one has a faster read/write speed. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #116 of 10,664

Quote:
Are you sure that this FZM56GW18P is the part number? When I checked the spec sheet it says Power Supply: Vcc= 5V ± 5%, not 3.3V. There is another model listed, the 
MasterDrive GF IDE ZIF instead of the DuraDrive ZT2 ZIF which you mentioned, that has a 3.3V power supply.
However the latter one has a faster read/write speed. 

It's the one I bought.  The data sheet at  Super Talent says 3.3V

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/6_10053.pdf

I just changed the battery on my 5.5G because it was only holding a charge for a day.  I think that when the hard drive died, it fried the battery.  After a random number of songs played, the hard drive would just start spinning until it drained the battery.  After it did that a few times, I bought a new iPod.  Fortunately, I never trashed the old one.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #117 of 10,664
great thread. I will probably pick a 128GB super talent to tinker with over the holiday.if it works 1 for my 5.5g video, 1 for my classic.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #120 of 10,664
Sorry if this question is OP but i really need advice about upgrading my iPod capacity.
My iPod is the iMod iPod Video 5.5th Gen.
The motherboard is from the 80GB version (with 64MB ram cache) and the HDD is from the 30GB version with thinner back cover.
What is the maximum capacity of HDD and SSD can i buy to upgrade my ipod so that i can still keep the thinner back cover?
I will be very glad if you can also provide some link.

Btw, i got an unused iPod Classic 160GB. Is it possible to take the HDD from the Classic to feed into the iPod Video?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back