Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 10,664
1100 isnt a terrible deal but not great deal either.

600 256gb ssd drive
250 charge for imod to be done
250 for the ipod + new battery + new casing + labor

It's a little overcharged but not as overcharged as some other things from alo.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #33 of 10,664
I think they way over charged. I've seen those drives for as little as 498.00. But that's not a deal so easy to find. So I'll give you 600.00 for the drive. You can buy a used 5.5g ipod for less than 100.00. But if you wanted to go new, well all of the parts in a 5.5g ipod are still currently available. I built one for someone some time ago. I bought a new logic board(40.00), new front and back cover(11.00), hold switch/headphone jack(4.00)upgraded 850ma battery(8.00) dock bracket(8.00), lcd(14.00), click wheel and center button(5.00), logic board bracket(10.00). That's 100.00 in parts. Labor shouldn't be all that expensive. I charged 75.00, but I also did the diymod. The whole process took less than a couple hours, and I'm not a trained pro. For the hard drive apricorn at the time was selling the toshiba 240gb hard drives for 169.00. They are now scarce and over 300.00. But that person had a 240gb(mechanical based) diymod, brand new for around 300.00. But add another 400.00 for the ssd and you are still at around 700.00. I know they will charge more for labor than I but 1100 seems expensive when the parts costs so much less. And I don't think you're even getting a brand new ipod. If I'm not mistaken, it's a used ipod with new casing. But even if it was a brand new ipod, the parts are around 700.00 or less. If they buy in bulk, I'm sure they're even less than that.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #35 of 10,664
I wonder if they actually use that drive. If it would take some serious modifications to do that, then it isn't worth it when there are 240gb ssds that are simply plug and play.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 10,664
I wonder is it possible to install a higher voltage battery to make the drive work. In any case, that's still an inflated price imo. If it was something simple to get it to work, then that's still only around 700.00 in parts. And if they had to do serious modifications to get it to work, then it's not worth it when there are other options available that's simply plug and play. I'm not bashing them. They have a right to charge whatever they want if people are willing to pay for it. I'm just saying the price is inflated. But what's new. Most gear these days are selling at inflated prices.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #38 of 10,664
oh I def feel you man. It is severly inflated in price. I know ALO has to make money off it but im sure red wine audio gives em a super discount on the imod process. ALO's profit margin is ridiculous.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #39 of 10,664
Hello guys, I need some advice here,

My iPod 6g, 120 gb seems to have problems with the hard drive, everytime I plug it in windows tells me it needs to be formated, I did and restore it and put in 20 gb of music, it can play the music no problem but when I plug it in the PC, windows tells me it needs to be formated and Itunes or any other program wont recognize it... I could only format it while in disk mode.

If I wanted to go SSD, what would be my best option price/storage? ( or bang for the buck if you wish). the K3vlar is a great disk but 600$ ... no way.

Also, is there a way to know if the hard drive is the only thing not working? or could it be another problem, as I said the ipod reproduce no problem, only issue is when I plug it to the computer. and cant put in new music in it.

cheers!

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #40 of 10,664
A few things aren't completely clear for me:

• Is the Fostex HP-P1 compatible with the 5.5G iPod Video?
  • What is the maximum capacity that the 64MB SDRAM 5.5G iPod Video Logic Board can theoretically handle, regardless of backplate size?
  • What is the maximum capacity that an iPod Classic Logic Board can theoretically handle, also regardless of backplate size? Are there differences between the different Classic Logic Boards in this regard?

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #41 of 10,664
I found answer to my first question on Headphonia; so it isn't :frowning2: .

Evidently, I must now admit I'm more interested in finding answer to my last question than to my second, but I'm sure others might find the information useful too.

OP Freeze, since you also would like to go the HP-P1 route, we better make sure that the newer Classics can actually be upgraded with a SSD larger than 128GB, i.e. larger than the stock 160GB HDD capacity.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #42 of 10,664
Well I've made an SSD IPC using Kingspec zif 16g ssd for trial. No wonder it will work but there's still some problem, sometimes the modded ipc stops playing and fails to respond, and after forced restart there's a big-red-circled-cross on the screen so I have to restart again and again until success.
I think it is because of the power. The original Toshiba mk1634gal is 0.3w(idle) and 0.9w(full) while almost all 1.8" ce ssd are 0.?w(idle) and 1.0w++(full) except Super Talent's.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #43 of 10,664
Anyone has picts of the instalation of one of these
51iugw%2BOEyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

into the classic? or is it just plug and play?

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #44 of 10,664

Quote:
Anyone has picts of the instalation of one of these
51iugw%2BOEyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

into the classic? or is it just plug and play?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe you will need a compact flash adapter to use the above with an iPod Classic.

I've been considering this as well and found this adapter after googling/head-fi searches

http://www.tarkan.info/store

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #45 of 10,664

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe you will need a compact flash adapter to use the above with an iPod Classic.

I've been considering this as well and found this adapter after googling/head-fi searches

http://www.tarkan.info/store

Yes I got redirected to the same site, and sent the "tarkan" guy a mail asking if it worls with the new classic 120, be cause he only listed the classic 40gb, 60gb and 80 gb. he told me this:

me:

Code:
[font=sans-serif] Hello sir, My ipod 120gb 6gen hard driver crashed, would you adaptor work in it, to put it a flash card? Im asking because i saw you wrote this "The adaptor will work in any 5g and 5.5g Video iPod (30gb,60gb,80gb)" thanks.[/font]

him:

Code:
[font=sans-serif] Hi,  Yes the adaptor does work in the 6 and 7g ipods. Some the drive ribbon is different, so you need to buy a 5g drive ribbon, costs about $2-3 on eBay. Regards, [color=rgb(82, 81, 81)]Tarkan[/color][/font]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back