Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #10,561 of 10,664
Hi all. I stumbled across something the other day when swapping drives around in my iPods, can you just tell me if i was dreaming?
So, i had an Ipod 5th Gen (normal Apple OS with no search function) with a 30gb hard drive and i swapped it out for an 80gb drive, already formatted, from a 5.5 gen. Nothing special there, except my 5th gen now seems to HAVE a search function.
Has anyone come across this before?

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #10,562 of 10,664
Hi all. I stumbled across something the other day when swapping drives around in my iPods, can you just tell me if i was dreaming?
So, i had an Ipod 5th Gen (normal Apple OS with no search function) with a 30gb hard drive and i swapped it out for an 80gb drive, already formatted, from a 5.5 gen. Nothing special there, except my 5th gen now seems to HAVE a search function.
Has anyone come across this before?

No, never seen that happen. What model number does it say under the "ABOUT" section?

These are the notes I made (cribbed off some-website-or-other), when trying to work out which ipod was which

The MA444LL/A model number is for the 30 GB iPod 5GE in white. The 30 GB model in black is MA446LL/A, 80 GB in white is MA448LL/A, and 80 GB in black is MA450LL/A.

The MA002LL/A model number is for the 30 GB iPod 5G in white. The 30 GB model in black is MA146LL/A, 60 GB in white is MA003LL/A, and 60 GB in black is MA147LL/A.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #10,563 of 10,664
Happened again. RB wouldn't boot, put it into OF mode, connected it to the PC, played a track via the PC, ejected it, rebooted...and it works in RB mode again. What does that mean? Somehow it gets into a state where RB can't see the drive, but connecting it to the PC seems to reset it so it works again. What would be going on there?

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #10,564 of 10,664
No, never seen that happen. What model number does it say under the "ABOUT" section?

These are the notes I made (cribbed off some-website-or-other), when trying to work out which ipod was which

The MA444LL/A model number is for the 30 GB iPod 5GE in white. The 30 GB model in black is MA446LL/A, 80 GB in white is MA448LL/A, and 80 GB in black is MA450LL/A.

The MA002LL/A model number is for the 30 GB iPod 5G in white. The 30 GB model in black is MA146LL/A, 60 GB in white is MA003LL/A, and 60 GB in black is MA147LL/A.
Ah. That explains it. It was already the 5.5th Gen (MA446FB) then?

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #10,565 of 10,664
Happened again. RB wouldn't boot, put it into OF mode, connected it to the PC, played a track via the PC, ejected it, rebooted...and it works in RB mode again. What does that mean? Somehow it gets into a state where RB can't see the drive, but connecting it to the PC seems to reset it so it works again. What would be going on there?
So does chkdsk show any errors/corruption?

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #10,571 of 10,664
@ThinWalls: maybe a stupid question but which version of RB are you using? 3.15 or latest?
The latest dev version at the time.

I just think there's something weird about that 1Tb card. RB doesn't like it. Annoyed I didn't get the Amazon Basics one instead. Considering sending it back, but the returns process is such a pain if you don't have a printer or smartphone. And Black Friday sale is over so all the prices have gone way back up again.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #10,573 of 10,664
In the end used that 1Tb card to upgrade a 5th gen iFlash ipod, and it seems to work fine in that. Drawback is 5th gens are so slow to sync that I didn't really want nearly 2Tb capacity in one (it was previously about 800Gb), as it will take literally several days to do a full sync of that quantity of stuff. No choice though as that particular card just would not work in a 7.5 gen.

Edit - eventually got an Amazon Basics card on sale which works in the 7.5gen. Meanwhile the Sandisk card is working in the 5th gen.

Very odd how temperamental iFlash mods are. Different brands/types of cards seem to prefer different ipods. Many times found that swapping cards around between devices solves problems. One reason why I've ended up with more ipods than I intended.

Maybe it's that certain cards don't like being paired with each other?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #10,574 of 10,664
Ah. That explains it. It was already the 5.5th Gen (MA446FB) then?
If that's the model number, then one puzzle is why it didn't have an 80gb drive to start with. Could it have previously been downgraded?

Still can't say I understand why it would have lacked the search function to begin with. I don't _think_ you can upgrade or downgrade the firmware beween 5th and 5.5gen, I had the impression they format the drive differently, for one thing, and wouldn't be able to read each other's disks.

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #10,575 of 10,664
I've read comments on alieexpress about ppl complaining that the the battery is pushing the lcd screen (which may result in cracking it).
Did anyone tried that kit and can share his opinion?
Was a while since I've asked and in the meantime I modded iPod with that kit. I had issues with RB, but once I found the msata patch all is ok. Well almost... My lcd was indeed damaged and there is a line across, but that is at very edge so no big deal... I have the 5.5 thin version. Thick ones should all be fine with that kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back