Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 7, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #10,456 of 10,664
It appears with the SDXC cards and adapter the mod result is based on your luck. I thought I would give it a try for a 2TB ipod to satisfy my curiosity, but I am gonna return the cards and forget about it. I bought the iFlash Quad from iDemiGods, and think that's authentic.

I assume you've checked the card with h2testw? If it's direct from Amazon it ought to be genuine, though.

Also, do you have an alternative drive cable you could try? The Red X thing seems to suggest it's not finding the iFlash at all, which is what would happen with a bad zif cable.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #10,457 of 10,664
I assume you've checked the card with h2testw? If it's direct from Amazon it ought to be genuine, though.

Also, do you have an alternative drive cable you could try? The Red X thing seems to suggest it's not finding the iFlash at all, which is what would happen with a bad zif cable.

Yeah I checked the cards are fine. don't think the cables are the issue as I tried on two 7g's and another two video's. No luck.

Interestingly just a few moment ago, I did an experiment putting one 512GB sdxc card into an micro SD adapter then into another CF card adapter. It worked! I successfully restored it and rockboxed it. I am now copying files to the ipod from diskmode. I am surprised a 10-yr old CF adapter even supports 512GB's.

Well, I will at least keep one of those cards before returning them. I thought the price was good at $50 each.

EDIT: Listened to some music (images of WAV files with cues) via Rockbox . There are no issues whatsoever. I noticed the speed for copying files from my networked SATA drive fluctuating between 8 and 10 MB/s, which considered pretty good to me.

Encouraged by this successful experiment, I have ordered a CF adapter for dual SD cards to try for 1TB.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #10,458 of 10,664
It appears with the SDXC cards and adapter the mod result is based on your luck. I thought I would give it a try for a 2TB ipod to satisfy my curiosity, but I am gonna return the cards and forget about it. I bought the iFlash Quad from iDemiGods, and think that's authentic.
I am using two of the 1 TB of the exact same. I recently had the Red Cross issued too. The HDD cable into the flash adapter was the issue, it did not have a good contact to the adapter itself, I fixed it by pushing the HDD cable deeper into the adapter.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #10,459 of 10,664
I am using two of the 1 TB of the exact same. I recently had the Red Cross issued too. The HDD cable into the flash adapter was the issue, it did not have a good contact to the adapter itself, I fixed it by pushing the HDD cable deeper into the adapter.

I am pretty sure mine was not caused by cable as I tried on multiple ipods 5g & 7g's. I finally made it work on one unit (5g) with just one card but it refuses to work with 2 or more cards. Even in old days I found the SDXC cards (not the micro SD) and CF adapters are not consistent.

Update on the iFlash CF + CF adapter for micro SD: It's limited by 137GB's or the files will get corrupted, even tho the ipod can detect 512GB storage. I tried a CF adapter for dual SD cards which did not work.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #10,460 of 10,664
My 160GB iPod Classic has given up the ghost and keeps showing up as having "no music" on it, despite it being almost full.
Has anyone got any suggestions for what to do with it and where to send it to get repaired? I am in the UK if that helps.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #10,461 of 10,664
Have you tried/managed to restore it on iTunes?

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #10,462 of 10,664
Have you tried/managed to restore it on iTunes?
It would no longer sync or restore via my Mac, so I tried it on a Windows PC.
It initially appeared to work. I restored it and sync'd my music (thank God for external hard drives!), but it was behaving strangely i.e. showing duplicate albums when there were none.
Finally, it started showing up as having "no music" when it was actually full.
Luckily, I still have an even older 80GB that still works well apart from the fact it randomly pauses - although some tape on the headphone jack fixed that. Unfortunately, 80GB isn't much space when you have a large music collection.

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #10,463 of 10,664
It would no longer sync or restore via my Mac, so I tried it on a Windows PC.
It initially appeared to work. I restored it and sync'd my music (thank God for external hard drives!), but it was behaving strangely i.e. showing duplicate albums when there were none.
Finally, it started showing up as having "no music" when it was actually full.
Luckily, I still have an even older 80GB that still works well apart from the fact it randomly pauses - although some tape on the headphone jack fixed that. Unfortunately, 80GB isn't much space when you have a large music collection.

What does the "diagnostic mode" say about hard drive stats?
Could be a failing hard-drive (in which case it's obvious what solution anyone in this thread is going to suggest!)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #10,464 of 10,664
Sigh - this is a never-ending chain. Upgraded an old iflash-dual ipod with a 1Tb card, now have a 256gb card left over, so _of course_ I'm tempted to buy another iflash-dual, so I can use that left-over card to upgrade an existing iflash-solo 256gb to 512. Then of course I'll have a left-over iflash-solo, so will have to get another large-capacity card to make use of it (by replacing one of the generic-green adaptors in an 128gb ipod, which will then need a new drive-less ipod to make use of _that_).

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #10,465 of 10,664
Sigh - this is a never-ending chain. Upgraded an old iflash-dual ipod with a 1Tb card, now have a 256gb card left over, so _of course_ I'm tempted to buy another iflash-dual, so I can use that left-over card to upgrade an existing iflash-solo 256gb to 512. Then of course I'll have a left-over iflash-solo, so will have to get another large-capacity card to make use of it (by replacing one of the generic-green adaptors in an 128gb ipod, which will then need a new drive-less ipod to make use of _that_).

That urge is understandable in this hobby.

For the Dual adapter, did you use the full-size SD cards or the micro SD's with adapters?

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #10,466 of 10,664
That urge is understandable in this hobby.

For the Dual adapter, did you use the full-size SD cards or the micro SD's with adapters?

No adapters, this is a return to using full-sized cards and the iFlash for them, after most of the ipod mods I've done for a while have been with the quad adaptors (as right at this moment - at least a few days ago - full-sized cards seem to be the significantly cheaper option).

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #10,467 of 10,664
Since my iFlash Quad only works with one card, today I returned the other 3 cards to Amazon. This was the first time I ever needed to return one of the so many items bought from Amazon over the yrs. I was impressed by how easy and convenient it is to return items. I dropped it at a local Wholefoods just a few blocks away from my building, and even before I left the store I got a text message from Amazon telling me the refund has been issued.

I am going to try a 1TB card.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #10,468 of 10,664
I recently posted, that I have a problem with my classic recognizing more than 2*1tb Micro Sd. Adding a 200 GB card did not work, but adding a 128 does work, so I think this is the absolute maximum for an iPod classic: 2*1tb plus 128gb,

And the second one I have has
1*1tb and 3*400gb.

The one with the 2*1TB cards as the faster sandisc pro cards, black and gold ones, and it syncs quite a lot faster than the one with the grey cards, the one with the grey ones is about 10-15MB per second, and the faster one goes up to over 20 MB per second

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #10,469 of 10,664
I managed to get another 160GB iPod Classic. However, it is one of the chunkier ones from 2006 or 2007.
Does anyone know where I can get a case to fit it? All of the cases I can find online are for the slimmer 2009 model.
I might have to resort to keeping it inside a sock or something.

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #10,470 of 10,664
I managed to get another 160GB iPod Classic. However, it is one of the chunkier ones from 2006 or 2007.
Does anyone know where I can get a case to fit it? All of the cases I can find online are for the slimmer 2009 model.
I might have to resort to keeping it inside a sock or something.

They are annoyingly scarce. I got a few (a variety of different types - no two of them match) on amazon a few years ago. But can't seem to find cases for the thick pod housings anywhere now. Puzzled where all the cases that would, presumably, have been made for the thicker model back when it was in production have gone. Guess they all got dumped in a landfill somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back