Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #10,201 of 10,664
Replacing the battery certainly a great idea, but as you say, if you are gonna do the annoyance of opening it, I would certainly go for an ssd card, or iflash, ssd card from aliexpress much better, it's smaller, cheaper overall, an comes with a free truly large battery. Also, with flash storage, ram use is smaller. so you will get nokia battery, 30 hours of use, also free rear cover, so it will look neat.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000778209756.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dTJ4rQi

from 50$ the whole kit shipped. that's where i bought mine, only complaint is that the rear case was not laser etched, the one i received, but i got refunded and ordered another one for 8$ shipped.

That looks like an amazing deal. Do you have your's set up with Rockbox by chance? Is it working well?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #10,202 of 10,664
That looks like an amazing deal. Do you have your's set up with Rockbox by chance? Is it working well?

I have modded a couple ipods a few times, but never done the rockbox thing yet. I use itunes a lot still. Should be no problem I guess.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #10,203 of 10,664
I have modded a couple ipods a few times, but never done the rockbox thing yet. I use itunes a lot still. Should be no problem I guess.
Rockbox has its advantages, but having tried it i can't help feeling it gives the resulting UI a bit of a second class feel (and I tried a few different UI skins). Itunes, for all its frustrations, gives a more satisfying look and a smoother playback experience IMO.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #10,204 of 10,664
Rockbox has its advantages, but having tried it i can't help feeling it gives the resulting UI a bit of a second class feel (and I tried a few different UI skins). Itunes, for all its frustrations, gives a more satisfying look and a smoother playback experience IMO.
I agree that the original UI is more polished. But there are features that Rockbox has that I'm pretty dependent on, like global auto-resume and manual bookmarking. I found a theme that's clean, not quite as pretty as Apple's, but it's close and I can live with it.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #10,205 of 10,664
rockbox syncs with itunes on a mac? does it keep ratings for all tracks? thanks!

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #10,207 of 10,664
I see, sorry for my ignorance in this topic, I should just research about ti before asking. But if dual boot is possible, can sync normally i guess and use rockbos for testing. I have two ipods anyways, I will give it a try.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #10,208 of 10,664
I see, sorry for my ignorance in this topic, I should just research about ti before asking. But if dual boot is possible, can sync normally i guess and use rockbos for testing. I have two ipods anyways, I will give it a try.

There's a lot of good information on the Rockbox forums, and the manual is pretty comprehensive as well.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #10,209 of 10,664
5th gen iPod - now available in red!
IMG.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #10,210 of 10,664
I agree that the original UI is more polished. But there are features that Rockbox has that I'm pretty dependent on, like global auto-resume and manual bookmarking. I found a theme that's clean, not quite as pretty as Apple's, but it's close and I can live with it.

I looked at the rockbox manual but still have some questions. I alternate between multiple folders with a thousand or so songs in each. I use shuffle in the folders. If I leave a folder & then go back, songs repeat because they reshuffle when I return. I don't use the database so it doesn't look like I can use auto-resume. If I bookmark before I leave a folder, will playback resume where I left off and not replay a song until every song has been played once?
Also, what theme do you use?
TYIA

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #10,211 of 10,664
5th gen iPod - now available in red!

Is that from an ebay seller or did you personally paint the housing?

I tried painting some old video and classic housings, but it really didn't go very well! It ended up looking quite amateurish, despite using car spray paint (and sanding it first) it just ended up looking like I'd crudely brush-painted it with wall-paint emulsion - just couldn't achieve a proper high-gloss effect.

Anyway, I notice some Chinese ebay sellers are now offering the classic anodised fronts in colours other than silver/black/red/gold. Got green and blue ones - now feel I have to build another iflash ipod to make use of them!

Edit - this is why I've ended up with a stupid number of ipods. Feel compelled to have every variation. Plus I end up with spare parts left over then feel I have to buy other spare parts to make use of them.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #10,212 of 10,664

I much prefer the rockbox interface. The original firmware one just seems both annoyingly boring and also awkward to use, now, for me. The only real issue I feel there is with rockbox is it not being 100% compatible with the iFlash adaptors because of the ata drivers being written for hard drives. You still get some 'glitches' with that.
But set against that the original firmware is just flat-out not an option if you have a lot of tracks - it simply can't cope with more than a certain (modest) number.

Granted it would be nice if someone could write a plug-in to allow browsing by album art thumbnails. The trouble seems to be there aren't as many people working on rockbox as there used to be.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #10,213 of 10,664
I much prefer the rockbox interface. The original firmware one just seems both annoyingly boring and also awkward to use, now, for me. The only real issue I feel there is with rockbox is it not being 100% compatible with the iFlash adaptors because of the ata drivers being written for hard drives. You still get some 'glitches' with that.
But set against that the original firmware is just flat-out not an option if you have a lot of tracks - it simply can't cope with more than a certain (modest) number.

Granted it would be nice if someone could write a plug-in to allow browsing by album art thumbnails. The trouble seems to be there aren't as many people working on rockbox as there used to be.

Rather than for looks, I have a lot of iPods because of the capacity issue. My car stereo is only compatible with OF. 3 different OF iPods are needed to carry what I have on my one rockboxed iPod.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #10,214 of 10,664
I looked at the rockbox manual but still have some questions. I alternate between multiple folders with a thousand or so songs in each. I use shuffle in the folders. If I leave a folder & then go back, songs repeat because they reshuffle when I return. I don't use the database so it doesn't look like I can use auto-resume. If I bookmark before I leave a folder, will playback resume where I left off and not replay a song until every song has been played once?
Also, what theme do you use?
TYIA

I believe that auto-resume works for both database and file structure use, but bookmarking only works for file structure. I'm afraid I don't use shuffle mode so I can't help with that. The theme I use is called "Ipodmod2".

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #10,215 of 10,664

There is a brand new release that is intended to address issues with iFlash. Have a look at the bottom of this thread: https://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,52561.msg246581.html#msg246581

Also there is a plugin called "PictureFlow". I've never used it, so don't know how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back