Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 7, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #9,271 of 10,664
@phlooo I have the same issue with my 5th gen iPod classic. It has a 1900mAh battery and it seems to use as much either on or off.
I do use it in combination with an SSD however. This SSD gets very hot while syncing files which is not ideal for the battery of course.
So to be honest I'm not sure that it's related to a faulty motherboard or to a faulty battery in my case.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #9,272 of 10,664
@sweex The fact that the SSD gets hot is totally normal, so no worries here. Also, the mSATA SSD drives do use more power than the stock HDD, so it's expected to see an increased battery drain. But if it still uses power when idle, there might indeed be something wrong with the motherboard, I don't know... I will try to check on mine if there are any weird looking parts of the PCB, maybe there is a short somewhere.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #9,273 of 10,664
I know it's normal that it gets hot. But it gets very hot, and since it is next to the battery the battery gets very hot. High temperatures are not good for the lifetime of your Li-ion battery so it is possible that my battery got damaged because of this. (It might even be dangerous because Li-ion batteries become unstable at a certain temperature) I'm just to lazy to test it mainly because I have a 7th gen SD card iPod which is working fine.
But now that I think about it I think it would probably have damaged the charge capacity of the iPod, not it's ability to retain a charge...
So there is a chance that we are having more or less the same problem, I just don't think that there is a solution for it.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #9,278 of 10,664
Ok so a little follow-up on the battery drain story:

The battery and the iFlash installed in the Classic are still working like a beast, I've been using the iPod for several days now without plugging it, and the battery still displays around 80%.
There was just a massive freeze one time and had to reboot, but I think this is just the iFlash having some trouble with the two SDs, I guess it happens when using this JBOD approach.

Anyway, I think my Video motherboard is indeed toasted. I bought another used Video and I will do some more testing, and comparisons with a Multimeter to try and identify the faulty part

@zedhed, @sweex

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #9,280 of 10,664
Ok so a little follow-up on the battery drain story:

The battery and the iFlash installed in the Classic are still working like a beast, I've been using the iPod for several days now without plugging it, and the battery still displays around 80%.
There was just a massive freeze one time and had to reboot, but I think this is just the iFlash having some trouble with the two SDs, I guess it happens when using this JBOD approach.

Anyway, I think my Video motherboard is indeed toasted. I bought another used Video and I will do some more testing, and comparisons with a Multimeter to try and identify the faulty part

@zedhed, @sweex

I'm fairly certain it is my motherboard to. But as I said it is not my main iPod because of several raisons compared to my 7th gen:
Because of the SSD it has to be a windows iPod, which makes syncing more of a hassle on my MacBook.
Because of the SSD I also have to watch out not to sync to many songs at the same time or the iPod gets very hot (although that's more of a problem on the initial sync)
I noticed that it is having difficulty playing some ALAC files, sometimes locking up a bit during a song or even skipping songs in an album. (The 7th gen has no problems with this)
I prefer the improvements in the 7th gens interface, especially being able to see the album art while browsing through albums allows me to better identify them.
I can't use the buttons on my headphones to play,pause and adapt the volume.

The raisons why I still keep it:
Because I can!
Because it looks way more awesome with it's iVue front and the back which has my initials engraved instead of the capacity.
The sound is slightly better than the 7th gen.
I am thinking of using it with a dock and a stereo once I move which will do away with most of the disadvantages.

That all being said. If you think to have identified the problem I would be more than happy to check mine to see if it has the same problem. I have seen other people who described the same issue, so it would be cool if it could be resolved.

Another question:
Does anyone know a supplier of back cases that does custom engraving? I got mine back in the day together with the 1900mAh battery.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #9,281 of 10,664
Because of the SSD it has to be a windows iPod, which makes syncing more of a hassle on my MacBook.

Umm what? I had zero problems with a mSATA formatted in JHFS+ (in both types of iPods)
The Windows format is only needed for Rockbox, the stock firmware works in both formats

I noticed that it is having difficulty playing some ALAC files, sometimes locking up a bit during a song or even skipping songs in an album.

If you use Rockbox, there's no problem with that, you can also play regular FLAC

Edit: typos, I'm tired

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #9,283 of 10,664
What card are you using? U1 or U3?
When did you buy the Tarkan?

There hasn't been a ipod firmware update in eons, so it's unlikely that it's a firmware update issue, unless you just updated the iPod.

Typically, the opposite is the issue, in shuffle mode, the subsequent regular order track will play for a second before switching to the actual next track in the shuffle. Especially with the HDD in my old 5.5g, although it still happens with the 256gb SD I've got in my car iPod.

You could troubleshoot this a bit if you had another CF/SD card, (even a smaller one) - swap it out and see if it continues. I've got a 64gb SDXC micro card that's got some sort of gremlin - no matter the device it will spontaneously disconnect - just long enough to cause a problem (in my phones (all three of them now) and even across laptops and various adapters (device suddenly removed, windows dink-donk,) it's always a 30 second wait while it loads the card in the phones etc) but while it's actually in use - ie reading/writing, it seems to work fine. I'd pull the card and double check that the actual files are intact and not corrupt etc.

It does sound like the card is faulty. I'd remove it from the iPod, do a full format and check with h2testw. If ok, then put it back into the iPod. Restore in iTunes.

If that still doesn't work try a stock hard drive.

A recent iTunes update messed up transferring artwork onto the iPod. Who knows, maybe Apple messed something else up. I had to roll back to a slightly older version.

Excuse me if you already did but Have you restored your iPod? But actually I would not blame the iPod. I have experienced that issue on certain tracks in iTunes and it´s not the iPod, not the Mac , nor iTunes. It´s the mp3.

I ve´got two 5.5G modded with5.5G modded with SDXC cards and Tarkan's adapter , by the way, no issues. Only when the SD adapter moves from its place (so I have taped it)

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on the skipped songs issue.

It looks like the problem is not on the SD card though, but on the software side, just like @iMig said. Please see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7249051

That's what I suspected since the beginning, and why I was kind of shocked that nobody here was having the same problem. In fact. if you browse the iPod section in the Apple Support Communities, several users have asked the same thing with no satisfying answer.

I fail to see how is not iTunes' fault though. How can the mp3 file be corrupted, when I've had the same problem with dozens of albums from different sources?

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #9,284 of 10,664
Can anyone recommend a 1900mah battery for an iPod 7.5gen thin? I purchased a few online and the seller sent me 3000 mah battery, saying it’s the same size as the 1900mah.

I tried fitting the 3000 into my iPod but it clearly doesn’t fit

Thanks for any help

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #9,285 of 10,664
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on the skipped songs issue.

It looks like the problem is not on the SD card though, but on the software side, just like @iMig said. Please see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7249051

That's what I suspected since the beginning, and why I was kind of shocked that nobody here was having the same problem. In fact. if you browse the iPod section in the Apple Support Communities, several users have asked the same thing with no satisfying answer.

I fail to see how is not iTunes' fault though. How can the mp3 file be corrupted, when I've had the same problem with dozens of albums from different sources?

I can honestly say I've never run into this particular issue then. It does sound like iTunes is the problem - especially because they're not playing properly in iTunes. I've never had issues with gapless playback either - although I primarily use MediaMonkey these days, as iTunes seems to choke on my library. Although syncing with MediaMonkey can be a pain when syncing a lot of files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back