Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #9,256 of 10,664
Does anyone have any hard sources for thick backed iPod video headphone jack/hold switch assemblies in black (specifically in black)? I can find them up and down eBay in white but it seems like theyre impossible to find in black. I tried to get one for another model (a 6.5 I believe) but when it arrived it had the same curved edges on the switch and jack that the thin backed assemblies had.

Black Headphone Audio Jack Hold Switch Flex for iPod 6th Thick Classic 160GB

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #9,257 of 10,664
Hi guys,

During serveral months I've been having a very odd issue on my iPod (5.5G modded with a 128 GB card and Tarkan's adapter). It turns out that some of the tracks will stop in the middle of the song or nearly at the end, while others are simply skipped.

Not long time ago I was having a similar issue with iTunes on my iMac too, which seemed to affect only recently imported .mp3 files (that was what I got from other users in the Apple Support Communities and in my case it happened to coincide).

Now songs seem to go fine in iTunes but the iPod still has these issues. Has anybody else experienced something like this? Did Apple messed up something with an update or what?

Hi again, could somebody provide some feedback on this issue? Am I the only one experiencing this? :triportsad:

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #9,262 of 10,664
Hi again, could somebody provide some feedback on this issue? Am I the only one experiencing this? :triportsad:
There hasn't been a ipod firmware update in eons, so it's unlikely that it's a firmware update issue, unless you just updated the iPod.

Typically, the opposite is the issue, in shuffle mode, the subsequent regular order track will play for a second before switching to the actual next track in the shuffle. Especially with the HDD in my old 5.5g, although it still happens with the 256gb SD I've got in my car iPod.

You could troubleshoot this a bit if you had another CF/SD card, (even a smaller one) - swap it out and see if it continues. I've got a 64gb SDXC micro card that's got some sort of gremlin - no matter the device it will spontaneously disconnect - just long enough to cause a problem (in my phones (all three of them now) and even across laptops and various adapters (device suddenly removed, windows dink-donk,) it's always a 30 second wait while it loads the card in the phones etc) but while it's actually in use - ie reading/writing, it seems to work fine. I'd pull the card and double check that the actual files are intact and not corrupt etc.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #9,263 of 10,664

It does sound like the card is faulty. I'd remove it from the iPod, do a full format and check with h2testw. If ok, then put it back into the iPod. Restore in iTunes.

If that still doesn't work try a stock hard drive.

A recent iTunes update messed up transferring artwork onto the iPod. Who knows, maybe Apple messed something else up. I had to roll back to a slightly older version.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #9,264 of 10,664
Excuse me if you already did but Have you restored your iPod? But actually I would not blame the iPod. I have experienced that issue on certain tracks in iTunes and it´s not the iPod, not the Mac , nor iTunes. It´s the mp3.

I ve´got two 5.5G modded with5.5G modded with SDXC cards and Tarkan's adapter , by the way, no issues. Only when the SD adapter moves from its place (so I have taped it)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #9,265 of 10,664
By the way. I have decided to Rockbox one of my 5.5 iPods (I ve got three all with original firmware) I find a overwhelming amount of Rockboxing tutorials. Can you recommend me any recent special version-method-link? Aside of the official site, of course https://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch2.html I d like to keep it dual bootable. Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #9,266 of 10,664
Hi guys,

I have a question, is the iPod Video (5G) battery consumption higher than the Classic (7G)?

I have a battery that seems to last much longer when installed in a Classic than when it is in a Video (with the same iFlash Quad adapter), is that expected or is my Video motherboard toasted?

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #9,267 of 10,664
Hi guys,

I have a question, is the iPod Video (5G) battery consumption higher than the Classic (7G)?

I have a battery that seems to last much longer when installed in a Classic than when it is in a Video (with the same iFlash Quad adapter), is that expected or is my Video motherboard toasted?

Thanks!

Hi
It's normal. The 6th and 7th generation iPod Classics are more efficient than the 5th gen Videos.

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #9,268 of 10,664
Hi
It's normal. The 6th and 7th generation iPod Classics are more efficient than the 5th gen Videos.

Thanks for your reply zedhed!

It's a very small battery (it's 400-something mAh) and in the Video it wouldn't last overnight even without anything playing, the iPod would just turn itself off after a few hours and displayed "Very low battery" in the morning, whereas in the Classic it seems to stay at 100% for hours. Isn't this a bit too extreme of a difference?

Thanks!!

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #9,269 of 10,664
Thanks for your reply zedhed!

It's a very small battery (it's 400-something mAh) and in the Video it wouldn't last overnight even without anything playing, the iPod would just turn itself off after a few hours and displayed "Very low battery" in the morning, whereas in the Classic it seems to stay at 100% for hours. Isn't this a bit too extreme of a difference?

Thanks!!

Hmm, well, a 30gb ipod Video should get around 10 hours continuous mp3 playback using a decent battery. The same battery would last 24+ hours in a 7th gen ipod Classic. I've had them running well over 30 hours.
Maybe you have a very depleted battery although the 7th gen might be able to still squeeze some life out of it. It would be interesting to know how long your battery lasts in your 7th gen from a full charge. If you get anything like 24 hours playback then it sounds like your ipod Video is at fault.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #9,270 of 10,664
Hmm, well, a 30gb ipod Video should get around 10 hours continuous mp3 playback using a decent battery. The same battery would last 24+ hours in a 7th gen ipod Classic. I've had them running well over 30 hours.
Maybe you have a very depleted battery although the 7th gen might be able to still squeeze some life out of it. It would be interesting to know how long your battery lasts in your 7th gen from a full charge. If you get anything like 24 hours playback then it sounds like your ipod Video is at fault.

:frowning2:

So the Classic stayed on all night no problem, and I've been listening for 1 hour this morning and the battery indicator still displays 100%. This looks bad for the Video :frowning2:
I ordered a 1900 mAh battery, I'll check how this behaves in both when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back