Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 3, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #9,226 of 10,664
Next event was when I was in Europe and I charged it with a fast powerful charger. A Verizon one. It charges the iPhone faster than the normal white iPhone 5v thing.
At that point, iTunes stopped recognizing it.

You probably "done right dickered it" with too much current or voltage from the fast charger. iPods are old enough (2007) that they aren't built for "fast charging" - 5v 500-1000mA is how you want to charge it. Depending on the quality of the charger, it might have dumped 5v 2000mA or 9/12v into it.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #9,227 of 10,664
You probably "done right dickered it" with too much current or voltage from the fast charger. iPods are old enough (2007) that they aren't built for "fast charging" - 5v 500-1000mA is how you want to charge it. Depending on the quality of the charger, it might have dumped 5v 2000mA or 9/12v into it.
He could have dumped 5v 30A that would have done no difference, since the amperage used is what the ipod consumes and not what we give it to consume, 9v or 12v on the other hand...
He sould try it with different cables and different SD cards, if other SD cards do not work it might be the adapter.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #9,229 of 10,664
Has anyone put together a "Golden Build" list??? known combos of batteries, brands of memory cards, iPod logic boards, etc that just "work"??? I have a co-worker thats asking me what batteries and cards to buy and I been out of this thread iPod wise in a while... So I was hoping someone might of confirmed a solid build.

Thanks

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #9,230 of 10,664
Ipods will accept up to 30 volts. Look on the back of an iPod.

The Firewire charging pins (12-30v) are different from the USB (5v) pins. If you dump 30v 1A across the USB charging pins, you're likely to overload the circuitry and destroy it. If the 12v 2A charger is decent quality (built to spec and not just dumping the full current into the device) and detects the iPod properly (resistors across the data pins,) then it shouldn't have caused an issue. But not all products are built properly or behave appropriately when taking from 110v (Verizon is an American brand after all) and used on 230v EU supply...

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #9,231 of 10,664
So what did I ruin? The logic board, Or the Tarkan adaptor?
For the record it was the Verizon fast charger, but I was also using a converter.
I know it's a tricky question, but the iPod still worked fine and charged fine for a year and a half afterwards. Played all the music on them. And still works properly with the original hard drive.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #9,232 of 10,664
So what did I ruin? The logic board, Or the Tarkan adaptor?
For the record it was the Verizon fast charger, but I was also using a converter.
I know it's a tricky question, but the iPod still worked fine and charged fine for a year and a half afterwards. Played all the music on them. And still works properly with the original hard drive.

If it worked afterwords, then it's not likely that the fast charger did any damage outside the USB controller, which is (possibly) why iTunes didn't recognize it thereafter. If the USB controller is damaged, it might not be recognizable by the computer, but whatever damage was done might have been segregated to the low voltage (data) side, especially if it's still taking a charge through USB. Run through the debug menu (hold back and center) tests to see if anything comes back abnormal, especially with the cable/USB test and the storage test.

If it's still fully functional (charge and sync) with the original hard drive, it might have damaged either card or the adapter board. Does the SD card work outside the iPod? The adapter or card failing could be completely unrelated to the charging incident as well. I've used a few 256 gig PNY cards and never had a problem with them, but I'm sure others have.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #9,236 of 10,664
Ok. Maybe the 30 pin connector is ruined. To replace the 30 pin connector, does it require soldering the 4 outer points and then the 30 pins, each individually?
first you remove the outer pins that hold the connector in place, than you remove the small ones, be gentle because the rip very easily, then you clean then put a lot of flox and new solder in them, you place the new connector in place solder the it back in place, and verify if you did not make any solder bridges between the small pins.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #9,237 of 10,664
Hey everyone!

I posted on this thread some where around page 400 when I did a mod with proper 256GB ZIF SSD drive (no adapters, no nothing) and it all worked fine till date, when it finally decided to die. It seems like iPod is still running strong (i put an old HDD back in and it's alive), so what died is that darn SSD drive. I'm now wondering what's the state of Tarkan's adapter? Did anyone manage to get it to work with 256gb CF? The one I have is v10 (and that didn't work with Lexar 800x 256gb CF), but I see there is v11 now and wondering, if it got fixed...

Thanks!
Alex.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #9,238 of 10,664
Hi,

Thanks a lot guys for all your help, appreciate it! Just got a Transcend 800x 256GB CF and it seems to be working fine with v10 Tarkan's adapter in 7g Classic (slim 160gb). Will report next time in few years again when it breaks!

Thanks,
Alex.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #9,240 of 10,664
Has anyone put together a "Golden Build" list??? known combos of batteries, brands of memory cards, iPod logic boards, etc that just "work"??? I have a co-worker thats asking me what batteries and cards to buy and I been out of this thread iPod wise in a while... So I was hoping someone might of confirmed a solid build.

Thanks

I have been working on make 3, 512 golden u2 ipods for a little while and can at least tell you your better off building one with a thick back and using a 1900mah or 3000mah slim battery. The thin slim 2000 mah battery people have been using here is no longer available as the seller is unable to accept payments on ebay and wont respond to messages. Maybe apple contacted him?
Anyways, to have a thin or the medium thin ipod build you will need to use a battery thats like the original. I got ones by Insten that was the highest I could find at a good price, 900mah. The battery seems to last around 3-5 hours (I am using a kokia bluetooth adapter though) which is a major problem. You will have to settle for a thick back like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1TB-black-m...975706?hash=item3d4aaed09a:g:nSYAAOSwoA9ZgaR1 so you can use a real battery if you want to really enjoy the ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back