Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #9,196 of 10,664
@ ThinWalls
Using Rockbox there's no song number limit (have about 110,000 tracks I think).

I -let's call it- "envy" all of you who know how to install Rockbox onto your ipods.
I am afraid to try it, since I do not know what will happen, in case something goes wrong trying to install it.
And then how to get the ipod working again.

Oh, ok, it's that the ipod's firmware is "limited", I get it.
So itunes could have a zillion songs, just the ipod can't.

Wow, 110,000 tracks, that is quite a lot..... do you have a 2TB ipod as well?
How are the tracks encoded?

@westaa
You may have better luck with sellers on aliexpress.

I have heard about Aliexpress and Alibaba. Hmm, can I get any type of headphone jack/hold switch (no matter if Gen 5, 5.5, 6 or 7) for 7.5 Gen ipod?
Well, who knows if the headphone jacks/hold switches go kaputt again (either the jack, the switch or both), who knows, so I have some spare.

Maybe someone living in Germany (hopefully close to me) knows how to install Rockbox onto ipod 7.5 Gen?

Greets,
Julia

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #9,197 of 10,664
@ ThinWalls

I -let's call it- "envy" all of you who know how to install Rockbox onto your ipods.
I am afraid to try it, since I do not know what will happen, in case something goes wrong trying to install it.
And then how to get the ipod working again.

Oh, ok, it's that the ipod's firmware is "limited", I get it.
So itunes could have a zillion songs, just the ipod can't.

Wow, 110,000 tracks, that is quite a lot..... do you have a 2TB ipod as well?
How are the tracks encoded?

Greets,
Julia

It should be easy, just follow the instructions below. Once you installed rockbox, you can easily switch between the iPod FW and rockbox. It's a dual-boot system.

https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #9,198 of 10,664
This might be OT but: I am about to get back to finishing my iPod mod project and wanted to know if anyone has a good source for decent quality LOD cables that don't cost $80-250???

I want something a step up from something like the Fiio LOD but it doesn't have to made from unicorn tears and elf's toenails harvested from an unknown island either!!

You get my point...

Also used is OK too

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #9,199 of 10,664
This might be OT but: I am about to get back to finishing my iPod mod project and wanted to know if anyone has a good source for decent quality LOD cables that don't cost $80-250???

I want something a step up from something like the Fiio LOD but it doesn't have to made from unicorn tears and elf's toenails harvested from an unknown island either!!

You get my point...

Also used is OK too

Thanks.
A step up from the FiiO LOD cables does generally require a much bigger spend, the FiiO L3 and it's longer length cousin the L30 are actually very high quality already, to do better does kind of move quickly towards the high price points.

One to consider just below your stated $80-250 price range aversion is the ADL iD-30PS, if you can make use of the very short .1m length. Not unicorn tears etc... but silver plated 28 gauge OCC conductors with Furutech's deep cryogenic and ring demagnetization treatment. They also make the similar .15m length iD-30PL with a right-angled 3.5mm plug.

On the used front, an Audioquest Golden Gate might be a good find, those were about $69 in a .7m length, but are no longer in production. I don't believe those were offered in very short portable application type lengths, but I could be wrong.

Or, the LineOut Pro by CableJive looks to be of at least decent if not generic quality, very cheap on Amazon, but only available in a 3ft length if I'm not mistaken.

This kind of 30-pin adapter allows you to bring your own 3.5mm cable, and also allows for charging, much like the discontinued FiiO L11.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #9,201 of 10,664
Yeah I am going to use it with an amp strapped to the iPod so short as possible would be ideal... I'd like to make my own but have no clue where to source the wire...
You mean you already have or can easily get the 30-pin dock connector and you are willing to solder to 4 of those pins?

If so, nothing wrong with a short piece of Mogami W2893 miniature star quad microphone cable for instance.

You can even use just 3 of the 30 pins, the ground/return can be shared between the 2 channels.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #9,203 of 10,664
Where can you get the silver or copper/silver wire the nicer LODs use???
I think you'd have to braid it yourself, for some reason it seems only to be sold in single conductor lengths.

I get wire like that from Double Helix Cables, or Forza Audioworks.

Or you can roll the dice with any of numerous eBay sellers, but it may not be authentic.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #9,205 of 10,664
Can anybody recommend the best place to buy a battery for my iPod 7th Gen Slim?
I've been waiting for Alex for quite a while now and have lost all faith in him.

I've got Tarkan's quad adaptor fitted in a thin case and would like the 'best' battery for the job.
I've heard stories about some of the larger capacity batteries not being quite as described, so I thought I'd ask on here before spending any money.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #9,206 of 10,664
I know this isnt the best way to look at these, but out of these LODs on eBay, which looks like the best to you?? All range from $29 to $49

47758399.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500.jpg

Thanks

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #9,207 of 10,664
^ You may want to consider the LOD where the cable exits from the side (left or right depending on the layout of your amp) of the 30-pin connector instead on the back. This way the stack looks neat and the cable don't put much stress on both ends socket.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9,209 of 10,664
Cant get ahold of the guy that runs the site.... emailed twice :frowning2:

I had a conversation with them once, sometimes it took them a day to respond through ebay. However, it looks like the guy who runs that store outsources the cable somewhere else and by that impression I went with another seller.

Try to contact this guy,

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/IPOD-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOW-PROFILE-LOD-CRYOED-PURE-COPPER/251289767066?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I think he's from Turkey. I ordered an LOD before and have another one coming which is exactly the same item on the link above. If possible he can accommodate any custom request you want and he can do it quickly. However, the shipping method he uses takes time and doesn't have any other option. Mine was shipped on the 7th, and from the tracking updates it will take 1 day or 2 more before I receive it.

This is the first LOD cable I ordered from him. While it works well and looks fine on my setup, it's sticking out too far and puts a stress on the connectors specially when the cable touches something. Hence, I ordered the one in the link I posted above.
IMG_3777.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #9,210 of 10,664
Forza Audioworks makes really nice LOD cables for that kind of money, there is an entire thread dedicated to Forza on this forum though not specific to LOD cables.

Forza uses very high quality materials and the workmanship is top rate. Their Copper/Silver Series LOD offers the side exit cable, and a choice of copper or silver conductors in 2, 5, or 10cm lengths, for a very fair and reasonable price given the quality of the construction. 2-year warranty.

I can't recommend Forza highly enough based on my own experience with them, however be prepared to wait a bit before they make and ship a cable, likely the guy has a day job, they don't rush things so if instant gratification is what you're after maybe this isn't the right seller.

If you can be a little patient you will be rewarded with Forza, and as a bonus I found the leg of the shipping trip handled by Polish Post to be very quick/efficient compared to some other postal systems, it got to me in NY in just 4 days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back