Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #9,166 of 10,664

Yeah the 1900mAh battery isn't charging.
This iPod is dying for good soon. When it does I'll just stuff 96kbps music on my phone.

Are these the same batteries? Maybe duo8 just had bad luck and it is not a bad battery in general. Any othere experiences with the 1900 mAh battery?

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #9,167 of 10,664
Not sure if this question is directed at me or not.

But I use the new dual-boot bootloader for ipod classic. Obviously for 5th gen it doesn't need special bootloader.

And the microsd cards above 128gb don't play well with rockbox on the classic because while you can sync in OF mode, it works only up till you try and build the database (which I guess is the first point that rockbox itself attempts to write to the cards). Then rockbox seems to 'lose' the storage. It's actually sort-of usable as long as you never try and build the database, but I like the database. Hence have to use a 5th gen* for the 800gb slim, I know some actually prefer the 5th gen but I can't really tell an SQ difference, and it is both larger than the classic and also substantially slower to sync. If anyone finds a micro sd card >128gb that works with rockbox and a classic, It'd be interesting to know.

*and I mean 5th gen,not 5.5 gen - was formerly a 60gb video.

How is your 5th gen iPod performing with Rockbox? My 5.5th with a ZIF SSD lags a lot. Not to speak of using pictureflow to browse my music or enable some sound enhancements. My next project is a 6th gen iPod with iFlash dual and a 512GB SDXC. I was hoping that the poerformance was good, but after reading your post I am unsure. But what about building the database using the UISimulator of Rockbox an a PC and then transfer it to the iPod?

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #9,168 of 10,664
How is your 5th gen iPod performing with Rockbox? My 5.5th with a ZIF SSD lags a lot. Not to speak of using pictureflow to browse my music or enable some sound enhancements. My next project is a 6th gen iPod with iFlash dual and a 512GB SDXC. I was hoping that the poerformance was good, but after reading your post I am unsure. But what about building the database using the UISimulator of Rockbox an a PC and then transfer it to the iPod?

It works fine, though I gave up using picture flow with any of my rockboxed ipods fairly early on because it took such a very, very long time to build the picture database (I mean, like hours), and it seemed to be necessary to do so again every time I added more music and updated the main database. It could be done but eventually couldn't be bothered any more, given how often I add stuff.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'lags a lot'.
Never tried using the simulator to build the database. For one thing the UI sim expects a particular directory structure, which doesn't match the one my music is in on the PC and hence on the ipod. Ideally there'd be a dedicated utility to build the rockbox database (and the picture-flow database) on the PC, saving the ipod from having to do all the work, but that would still depend on one syncing in such a way as to retain the exact same director structure and filenames.

Because the capacity of modded ipods is so much larger than that rockbox was originally expected to handle, it does seem that it's started to creak at the seams with database (and pictureflow database) building, so it would be much neater to be able to do that stuff on the PC instead.

If you find it's possible to create the pictureflow database within the simulator, and then transfer the relevant files to the ipod, and have picture flow work, please let us know! Because if it does actually work I might consider rearranging my music library so I could do that myself. It would be quite a bother though, as the UIsimulator expects music to be under its "simdisk" directory, and moving all my music library to there would completely confuse my music manager.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #9,169 of 10,664
Hey guys I've been offered an iPod 160gb but i couldn't find any reference online to the model/batch number MC484C. Does anyone knows anything about this model?

$_59.jpg

I believe the 2.0.4. firmware version is all you need to know. If it's either 2.0.4. or 2.0.5 (the latter having the option to disable the volume limiter) then it's a "7.5" gen.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #9,170 of 10,664
I built a thin iPod classic using a single 512GB PNY SDCard and 4 x 128GB Samsung microSD and database is building just fine on both iPod classics.

I'm waiting for the price of new 400GB microSD to go lower then I will build either a 4x256GB or 4x400GB slim iPod classic.

Yes, 4x128 micro sd works, as micro sd cards 128gb are fine in my experience. Ditto with the full size pny 512gb (currently have three 756gb classics and the 800gb 5th gen - had a very weird problem trying to get a 2x512gb ipod working, so used the two cards in different ipods in the end).

But my question was about micro sd cards >128gb. Have not as yet found any that work with a classic and rockbox.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #9,171 of 10,664
Not quite sure what you mean by 'lags a lot'.

When using too many sound tweaks, playback starts stuttering and scrolling through the slides in pictureflow is not smooth.

Because the capacity of modded ipods is so much larger than that rockbox was originally expected to handle, it does seem that it's started to creak at the seams with database (and pictureflow database) building, so it would be much neater to be able to do that stuff on the PC instead.

Actually there are some tools to create the rockbox database "offline":
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=20964.0
https://www.setera.org/projects/rockbox-tagcache-database-generator/

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #9,172 of 10,664
When using too many sound tweaks, playback starts stuttering and scrolling through the slides in pictureflow is not smooth.

Actually there are some tools to create the rockbox database "offline":
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=20964.0
https://www.setera.org/projects/rockbox-tagcache-database-generator/

Ah, I get you. As I say, I don't use pictureflow any more (though having just checked it seems it's still there and working on at least one of my classics, but updating it after adding tracks is _so_ time consuming that I don't bother - be nice if it the plugin could be modified to enable sorting by artist as well as album name...unfortunately the rockbox dev community seems to have shrunk dramatically along with it's user base, so those sorts of things seem unlikely to happen any more). The only sound tweaks I use are the bass and treble boosts. I know the spectrum equaliser thing is very tough on CPU use, and the 5th gen's CPU isn't as good as the classic's cpu, at least if you use too many bands.

Will have a look at those links. Thanks! (Though unfortunately with rockbox anything from that many years back may potentially have ceased to work due to all the changes.)

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #9,173 of 10,664
Did you put adapter in this correct position:

In this position doesnt work:
okay, the ribbon. i didn't ever disconnect it from the motherboard side.
But on the adapter side there's the only one way to connect it as the ribbon is asymmetrical on the wide end. so it's connected as you call it "the right position".
Here are some pictures:
9996002_thumb.jpg
9996003_thumb.jpg

As you can seethe adapter simply doesn't fit inside if i connect it the wrong way. So I ended up like this:
9996004_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure it's the right way to connect a thing.

Attachments

• DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #9,177 of 10,664
Good point. It's too easy to push the ribbon too far into the ZIF connector, missing the contact points. You get the knack eventually. The ribbons that came with Hitachi iPod drives had longer contacts - these are ideal for these green adapters. But sourcing them seems impossible (unless you pull out an Hitachi from another iPod).
maybe i should go for that iflash adapter? it's not that expensive and if the setup is not working with that one then it must be a card problem

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #9,178 of 10,664
There's quite a few circa 2006/2007 threads about EU volume limits on 5.5g iPods, as well as releases from gopod and QTfairuse6 for 5.5g iPods... although without digging too much into it, it may just be talking about the user set volume limit function.
I have a 5.5g and a friend of mine's got a 5.5g too.
Both 30 gb thin versions.
But my device is louder and let's say "pushing it harder" or something.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #9,179 of 10,664
Not sure if this question is directed at me or not.

But I use the new dual-boot bootloader for ipod classic. Obviously for 5th gen it doesn't need special bootloader.

And the microsd cards above 128gb don't play well with rockbox on the classic because while you can sync in OF mode, it works only up till you try and build the database (which I guess is the first point that rockbox itself attempts to write to the cards). Then rockbox seems to 'lose' the storage. It's actually sort-of usable as long as you never try and build the database, but I like the database. Hence have to use a 5th gen* for the 800gb slim, I know some actually prefer the 5th gen but I can't really tell an SQ difference, and it is both larger than the classic and also substantially slower to sync. If anyone finds a micro sd card >128gb that works with rockbox and a classic, It'd be interesting to know.

*and I mean 5th gen,not 5.5 gen - was formerly a 60gb video.
So you only encounter the problem if you use the rockbox database? are you trying to use the database built from the OF or make rockbox build it?

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #9,180 of 10,664
Get a thin piece of paper and wedge it on the side without contacts.
Since it worked before I don't think it's inserted on the wrong side.
Yeah, it started and started and even played like half a song. so it's the right side i assume.
About a piece of paper. Here's what I've done:

9996073_thumb.jpg
9996075_thumb.jpg

I hope it's the idea you told about.

Now it doesn't throw the "go to http://apple.com/ipod" error. But shows "Do not disconnect" black and white screen and doesn't restore it. I guess I need to format a card.

Attachments

• DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back