Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #9,046 of 10,664
It turns out I can't be trusted
Why decide between iPods when you can buy both :)

As mentioned above, I've gone for a 5.5th Generation 80GB, and a 7th Generation 160GB

My Quad iFlash drives have arrived from Tarkan and have been installed.
I've ordered most of the other pieces and am just waiting for them to arrive.

I still need to buy some new covers for the 7th Generation one, but can't decide which to go for.
I'm looking at buying from this eBay seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291135699...49&var=590285140632&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They offer Black, Grey, and Silver front cases.
Does anybody know which one will match the original Space Grey colour?
I've emailed the seller, and am awaiting their response

Oh, and I confirm I am also waiting for Alex to accept payments so I can purchase some batteries from him.
Is there anywhere else I can purchase similar batteries that will fit without trimming pieces? (Quad drives, and thin back-plates)

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #9,047 of 10,664
My first questions for everyone here are about the casings. What do people do regarding replacement of the Front-Plate and Back-Plate? Are they purchased from anyone in particular, or are they eBay items?
A lot of the devices I've seen have badly scratched/swirled Back-Plates. I'm concerned that If I bought a replacement, the serial number on the Back-Plate won't match that of the actual device, so I'd prefer to retain the original plate and polish it up. Is this a realistic option with polishing compounds and mops, or will it remove/damage the etching on the Back-Plate? I imagine the etching would be just fine just as long as the scratches are from regular usage rather than abuse, but thought I'd ask first rather than just making assumptions.

Looking forward to getting this started,
Thanks in advance
Anthony

As you're UK based, you could try mrDLT.com. He's very helpful.

I also wish the rear plates didn't a have fake serial number etched into the back but, hey ho, it's not the end of the world. And a replacement plate does give the iPod a spanking new look.

I've polished down a scratched plate with Brasso but, really, it's not worth the time and effort. It just looks like you've polished down a scratched plate with Brasso.

While I'm here, I've found these tools excellent for making that first pry into an iPod Classic. Search ebay for Smart Phone Case Opening Plastic Pry Tool.

s-l500.jpg

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #9,048 of 10,664
Brilliant, thank you!

I've just figured out the Black replacement cover is the 6th Generation colour, and the Grey cover is the 7th Generation colour ...... (and the Silver was for either)
I haven't seen a 6th Generation in person, so I don't know whether I'd prefer the Black or the Grey 'in-the-flesh.'

Regarding the rear covers, I think I might buy new ones as mine have a few dents in them, and take them to someone to have the original/correct serial numbers laser etched into them.
I'm wondering what a Space Grey Classic would look like with a Black back panel? Hmmmm

More pictures (and questions) when things process :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #9,049 of 10,664
Hopefully he opens it up, can't wait to see how this battery holds up.

He's pretty flaky in my experience, but seems to come through eventually, so hopefully the current issues will get sorted out. If you're in a hurry consider the 1900 mAh battery (unless you need the thin back). It offers about the same performance in my experience. I get around 30 hours continuous play from both batteries at about 80% volume.

@ant - thanks for the data point.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #9,050 of 10,664
Hello Head-Fi community. I am planning to mod my iPod Classic 6th gen 30GB with the iFlash Dual adapter and the 2000 mAh battery from Alex. So I need a thick backplate for this, right? I also have a 5.5th gen iPod Video 80GB which I modded with a 256GB SSD, so the thick backplate is not necessary for this player. Can I swap the backplate, headphone jack and hold button between the Classic and the Video? If not, any trusted source for a thick backplate and the other components in the EU?

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #9,051 of 10,664
You'll need a thick back plate if you use the Dual adapter with the 2000mah battery

If you use the Quad adapter and 2000mah battery you can keep the thin back plate.

The 6th Gen iPods have limitations regarding the amount of storage they can see.

I "believe" you can swap your thick back plate straight onto the 6th Gen. But other more knowledgeable people should be along soon to confirm for definite.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #9,052 of 10,664
Thanks for the reply Ant_
I won't use the OF, but Rockbox, so the file limit doesn't matter (I hope that this combination runs smooth with Rockbox) I already have the iFlash Dual and I really need to replace the backplate (scratches and dints). So the question is if I buy a thick backplate + jack and hold button, or a thin one for the 5.5th gen and use the existing thick one for the 6th gen iPod.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #9,053 of 10,664
If you're happy with the condition of your thick back plate then go with that

My understanding (which should be checked for accuracy) is ......

Back-Plates:
* The back-plates are interchangeable between the 5th & 6th & 7th Generations

Front-Plates:
* The 5th Generation front-plates fit the 6th and 7th Generation iPods
* The 6th and 7th Generation front-plates will only fit the 5th Generation iPods by modifying the frame

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #9,054 of 10,664
If you're happy with the condition of your thick back plate then go with that

My understanding (which should be checked for accuracy) is ......

Back-Plates:
* The back-plates are interchangeable between the 5th & 6th & 7th Generations

Front-Plates:
* The 5th Generation front-plates fit the 6th and 7th Generation iPods
* The 6th and 7th Generation front-plates will only fit the 5th Generation iPods by modifying the frame

Additionally, there are other options for backplates::
Blank Chrome Metal Back Case Housing Backplate for iPod Video 5th Gen 5.5G 30gb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Chrom...891272?hash=item2a64455308:g:NscAAOSwlMFZJ3U5
silver u2 edition metal back housing case cover for ipod 5th gen video 30gb thin
http://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-u2-e...279798?hash=item3d3beb4676:g:IYUAAOSwA3dYNF15
Special Edition iPod U2 back cover replacement for Video 30GB Classic 80GB 120GB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Edi...419415?hash=item1c46b60997:g:n4MAAOSwZd1VbJoI

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #9,056 of 10,664
I've got most of the pieces for my iPods now so I've started putting them back together

I'm having problems with the 5.5th Get iPod.....It's not putting out any sound

I've restored the iPod several times
I've checked the headphones are 'recognised' in the iPod diagnostics
When I reset the iPod I hear a click/tick noise through the headphones
If I connect the iPod to my car via Aux I hear hissing when I turn the volume up full
If I connect the iPod to my car via Line Out I hear a hissing when I turn the volume up full

I've removed the backplate and connected it to my 7th Gen iPod to test the headphone jack and hold button
The 7th Gen iPod works fine indicating the headphone jack and hold switch aren't the issue

Does anyone have any ideas what to check next?

All other functions appear to be working correctly (screen, sync, scroll wheel....)

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #9,057 of 10,664
I've got most of the pieces for my iPods now so I've started putting them back together

I'm having problems with the 5.5th Get iPod.....It's not putting out any sound

I've restored the iPod several times
I've checked the headphones are 'recognised' in the iPod diagnostics
When I reset the iPod I hear a click/tick noise through the headphones
If I connect the iPod to my car via Aux I hear hissing when I turn the volume up full
If I connect the iPod to my car via Line Out I hear a hissing when I turn the volume up full

I've removed the backplate and connected it to my 7th Gen iPod to test the headphone jack and hold button
The 7th Gen iPod works fine indicating the headphone jack and hold switch aren't the issue

Does anyone have any ideas what to check next?

All other functions appear to be working correctly (screen, sync, scroll wheel....)

Sounds like a defective motherboard (no pun intended)

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #9,059 of 10,664
Great thread. I've read it all.

Is it possible that not *all* 5th Gens are created equally?
I converted few iPods (Minis and 5th, 7th) as presents. Instead of expensive coffee maker i give converted iPods. I've done about 5 so far. I use generic green Zif to CF and a red SD card to CF. They all worked fine so far. I only go up to 128G for presents and of course, mine all have Tarkan's iFlash. :ksc75smile:

Today I stumbled on a very interesting iPod (on the left) which would work with Tarkan's iflash *only* (and HDD of course). Nothing else would do. The error was a boot logo and Low battery loop. I even thought that I damaged it while changing the front cover (they are rely tight, those from ebay at least) and battery. But no, everything was fine once HDD or iFlash were inserted. The iPod on the right worked with everything. I checked the serial numbers (here) but as far as I can tell they are the same.
Has anyone experienced this before? Maybe I've done something wrong.
(Sorry for the image being off-site. Not enough posts I guess...)
https://imgbb.com/

EDIT: I now have the right to post photos and the photo is in the next page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back