Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #9,061 of 10,664
I did not realize the life expectancy of that link would be that short. Sorry.

Oh, look at that... I can now post files. I guess all I needed was 2 posts. :beerchug:

ipods.jpg

They are both 5th Gens. The left one works only with iFlash and HDD. The one on the right works happily with everything including Green Zif/CF and Red SD/CF combo.
I think I will stop using these combos as they are unreliable and cannot go beyond 128G.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #9,062 of 10,664
I've
I did not realize the life expectancy of that link would be that short. Sorry.

Oh, look at that... I can now post files. I guess all I needed was 2 posts. :beerchug:

They are both 5th Gens. The left one works only with iFlash and HDD. The one on the right works happily with everything including Green Zif/CF and Red SD/CF combo.
I think I will stop using these combos as they are unreliable and cannot go beyond 128G.

I can't explain why this is happening but I have had a slightly worse problem with two or three 5th gen ipods. They wouldn't boot properly using a HDD but were fine with iFlash or cheapo green CF adapter. I wondered whether it was a power thing - maybe the iPods couldn't quite supply enough power to the HDD but could just about handle a CF adapter.

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #9,063 of 10,664
Hello everbody,

i obtained a used ipod classic 5.5 in order to put an ssd in it via the "iFlash-SATA (mSata) Adapter".

Should i consider the power consumption specs when i pick an ssd in order optimize battery life (given the price remains reasonable) or is power consumption savings negligible (hardware searchengine gives me a range from 0.5W to 5.0W of power consumption under load)

What should i consider while picking the right SSD?

Best regards,
Fabiano

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #9,064 of 10,664
Hello everbody,

i obtained a used ipod classic 5.5 in order to put an ssd in it via the "iFlash-SATA (mSata) Adapter".

Should i consider the power consumption specs when i pick an ssd in order optimize battery life (given the price remains reasonable) or is power consumption savings negligible (hardware searchengine gives me a range from 0.5W to 5.0W of power consumption under load)

What should i consider while picking the right SSD?

Best regards,
Fabiano
You should totally consider power consumption, and it would be way better to mod it with sd cards instead of ssd's, since you dont need the ssd's specs other than storage capacity

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #9,066 of 10,664
though ~256gb sd-cards are more expensive than a ssds, and the ssd potentially draws less power than the original hdd does anyway?

that is not true, msata draws way more power than any other option, as you can read here
you can have 2x 128gb micro sd cards for way cheaper than a 256gb 1.8 sdd (to be used inside ipod has to be the more expensive 1.8 size) on a quad adapter with 2 extra slots for a future upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #9,067 of 10,664
that is not true, msata draws way more power than any other option, as you can read here
than a 256gb 1.8 sdd (to be used inside ipod has to be the more expensive 1.8 size) on a quad adapter with 2 extra slots for a future upgrade.

thank you for bringing this to my attention, i will reconsider my setup!

Edit: do you have a suggestion on battery replacement?

Edit 2:

on the
(to be used inside ipod has to be the more expensive 1.8 size)

according to the iflash size, this is not true, you can use regular formfactor msata like Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA which are MO-300 Fullsize and meassure 51x30x3.85mm

and on the:

msata draws way more power than any other option, as you can read here [...]
you can have 2x 128gb micro sd cards for way cheaper

they are testing the older samsung evo 840 models wich are neither the cheapers nor the most power saving msata ssds.

There are msatas available like the Intel SSD 530 240GB, mSATA (SSDMCEAW240A4), which consumes less than 1/3 of the evo 840 under load (according to its data sheet) and is listed for 89,90€ which is >100€ cheaper than a 256mb samsung evo microSD and only ~20€ more expensive than random generic 256gb microSDs listen on amazon.de

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #9,068 of 10,664
thank you for bringing this to my attention, i will reconsider my setup!

Edit: do you have a suggestion on battery replacement?

Edit 2:

on the

according to the iflash size, this is not true, you can use regular formfactor msata like Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA which are MO-300 Fullsize and meassure 51x30x3.85mm

and on the:

they are testing the older samsung evo 840 models wich are neither the cheapers nor the most power saving msata ssds.

There are msatas available like the Intel SSD 530 240GB, mSATA (SSDMCEAW240A4), which consumes less than 1/3 of the evo 840 under load (according to its data sheet) and is listed for 89,90€ which is >100€ cheaper than a 256mb samsung evo microSD and only ~20€ more expensive than random generic 256gb microSDs listen on amazon.de

2.5 ssd are not mSATA, msata are the 1.8 inches one, and yes msata does fit inside the ipod, but the power consumption is still a problem:
The msata you specified consumes:
  • Active:140 mW
  • Idle:55 mW
Versus the sanDisk family(old values i belive its even better since they tend to be used on phones and power consumption is a concern there):
  • Read/Write 100 mA
  • Sleep 350 uA

You would be paying more, not take advantage of the ssd specs(since its bottlenecked by the ipod) and not have 2 free slots that you could use to upgrade the storage in the future, also If you go the micro sd route you can even fit a 1700mah battery inside, the only reason i see for a msata upgrade is if you already have a spare drive.
But hey, it's your money and your ipod, your rules.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #9,069 of 10,664
I've found that the most economical option for storage mod for me is a combination of SD-CF+CF-ZIF adapters.
So I want to know if anyone has any experience with SD-CF adapters, which ones work, which ones don't,... Stuff like that.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #9,070 of 10,664
I've found that the most economical option for storage mod for me is a combination of SD-CF+CF-ZIF adapters.
So I want to know if anyone has any experience with SD-CF adapters, which ones work, which ones don't,... Stuff like that.
I have done a mod with one of those, it has a problem, sometimes the sd card eject from the slot and i have to open the ipod put in inside again.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #9,073 of 10,664
So, I noticed an error message a little while ago saying that I need to connect my 512gb 5.5 gen (formerly 80gb). Then yesterday I noticed the whole thing had popped open from the battery. It was one of the large ones. Discarded it immediately. Need a new one. Just wondering if anyone had this happen. It had been about 2 years. Also, I'll look thru the thread, but feel free to share where the latest and most reliable big battery can be found.

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #9,074 of 10,664
So, I noticed an error message a little while ago saying that I need to connect my 512gb 5.5 gen (formerly 80gb). Then yesterday I noticed the whole thing had popped open from the battery. It was one of the large ones. Discarded it immediately. Need a new one. Just wondering if anyone had this happen. It had been about 2 years. Also, I'll look thru the thread, but feel free to share where the latest and most reliable big battery can be found.
How much did the battery expand to make the iPod pop open?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back