Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #8,178 of 10,664
Thanks for the suggestions!

Assuming the readout is right and I do have an iFlash Dual in there, I assume I either have 1 256gb card (that's reading half capacity) or a have 2 128gb cards and one of them is loose.

Based on the iFlash Dual page, these are the cards that are compatible with the module. If I do need to end up formatting one or two of these once removed from the iPod, what ZIF adapter would I need?

1. 128Gb SDXC UHS-I (U1) PNY Elite Performance
    1. 128Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) PNY Elite Performance
    2. 128Gb SDXC UHS-I Qumox
    3. 128Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Sandisk Extreme
    4. 128Gb MicroSD UHS-I (U1) Sandisk Ultra
  2. 200Gb MicroSD UHS-I (U1) Sandisk Ultra
    1. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U1) Kingston SDA10/256GB (Since Jan 2016 reports of faulty cards or failure on use)
    2. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Komputerbay Professional
    3. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U1) PNY Elite Performance
    4. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) PNY Elite Performance
    5. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) PNY Elite Performance
    6. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Sandisk Extreme Pro
    7. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Sony High Speed (SF-G2UX2)

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #8,181 of 10,664
Got my tools and opened up my iPod this evening. Looks like I had two cards and one popped out, just needed to pop it back in and restore and I was good to go.

Too bad I restored it the other day by accident, or I would've hopefully been able to save my library. Starting from scratch is annoying, but I'm going to follow some of the rules I've seen here (all tracks on playlists - 30,000 at most per playlist) and build everything around syncing so I don't have to manually create my library again if I have an issue.

Thanks everyone!

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #8,183 of 10,664
Hi to everyone,

well, I think it's the battery connector problem.
I have now 3 ipods with that trouble.

Is there anyone in Europe, preferrably Germany, who knows how to solder a battery connector back to the motherboard?
If not I guess I have to maybe find someone in the USA.
I am so desperate.
I thought I have found a trick how I can open that darn thing without loosening the battery connector, but I guess I was wrong........
I am sitting here crying my eyes out of frustration and anger.

Can please anybody help me out?

Greets,
JULIA

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #8,184 of 10,664
A few parts I was waiting on arrived today and I went back to this. I have the Cheung 2000mah battery but I've just realised I something: do I need to use a thick back cover in order to use it?!? lol!!! I have  slim and I can't get it closed with the 2000mah battery. Not sure if I'd like the thicker back. Unfortunately I disposed of the original battery!!!

Also other problems: I connected the battery and tested the iPod to see if it was working. I got an "sad face" ipod screen....is that bad? I'm think it is unfortunately. 

:edit: managed to get it into disk mode which I think is good. I need to charge the battery for a bit before trying to restore.

I'm using a Dual flash adapter with 2 SD cards exactly from this video:

https://youtu.be/g88rMzYWPXA

Thanks for any help

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #8,186 of 10,664
Yeah that's fair enough. I didn't do my homework. Anyway having problems with the iPod. I can reset, get into diagnostic mode and get into disk mode. When I get into disk mode and connect to my laptop it seems to go haywire, either freezing or flashing continuously with the "do not disconnect" message. Sometimes it says "low battery".

My last hope is that the battery is too low so I've just started charging it. I hate having to wait though.

:edit: Spent the whole day messing about and it turned out I hadn't the cable pushed far enough into the Tarkan adapter. Got it sorted and restored but I had done so much dragging of the innards the battery cable went. Have to wait now for a replacement. I'm making this hard for myself.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #8,187 of 10,664
Hello to all, 

Long time lurker, first time poster here. First off, I just wanted to compliment the community on how helpful everyone is. It's really nice to have a place to ask questions and not have your head taken off. 

I'm going to modify my first iPod (5.5, 80gb) this weekend. I have the following parts at home:
- iFlash Quad
- 2000mah battery
- new front and back (fat) case housings (the one currently on the iPod is beat)

I have the proper tools and I've watched quite a few YouTube videos on how to get this task done. 

Any random tips or tricks you guys have would be appreciated. 

Also, are there any MicroSD cards to keep away from? This is the one area where I can't find any clear information. Are there any brands or models that simply don't work with the iFlash Quad?

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8,188 of 10,664
First of all e3nine, Welcome.
You can use a thin backplate with the setup you've suggested. See my previous post here.
I personally feel most comfortable with PNY cards since they haven't been cloned (as of yet).
And you definitely want to stay away from generic cards and those that cost almost nothing.
These are faked cards. Check out the info on Happy Bison for reference.
Be very careful with all of the connections/clips on the logic board since they are just plastic.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8,189 of 10,664
  First of all e3nine, Welcome.
You can use a thin backplate with the setup you've suggested. See my previous post here.
I personally feel most comfortable with PNY cards since they haven't been cloned (as of yet).
And you definitely want to stay away from generic cards and those that cost almost nothing.
These are faked cards. Check out the info on Happy Bison for reference.
Be very careful with all of the connections/clips on the logic board since they are just plastic.

Thanks man!

I had no idea I could use a thin backplate. I'm having a real hard time finding a case for this device (that isn't brutally ugly). 

Good to know about PNY too. I'm on Amazon now and PNY is coming in a few bucks less than the Samsung EVO too. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #8,190 of 10,664
Hello everyone. I have 7.5G Late 2009 iPod.
Want to go the tarkan quad-iflash 4x200gb route.
BUT the only thing left holding me is the sound quality.
I remember a couple of years ago the SD sq was lower the msata.
How is the situation in 2016, especially from someone who has tried the dual iflash or quad.
Let me know please, thank you !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back