Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #8,041 of 10,664
  thing is i wanna take it on summer holiday and im leaving soon, have no experience what so ever doing this kind of stuff myself and im rather clumsy. I've never sinked with my ipod, always just have done drag and drop.

install rockbox and drag and drop to your hearts content.

when you pop one ipod open for the first time, it becomes easier every time after it.

if popping open ipods was popular as beer opening trucks at bars, head-fi'ers would be bringing chicks home left and right.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #8,042 of 10,664
Jul 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8,043 of 10,664
  thing is i wanna take it on summer holiday and im leaving soon, have no experience what so ever doing this kind of stuff myself and im rather clumsy. I've never sinked with my ipod, always just have done drag and drop.

You can still drag and drop - it's really just a word of forewarning.  Drag-and-drop usually works fine with rockbox running - but if you move some files and find they aren't working or have skips/pops or the tracks end early, restart the ipod and choose the original OS instead, then drag-and-drop your files again.  Then you can reboot back into rockbox and they should play just fine.  This happens mostly with FLAC files if the rockbox bug tracker is accurate.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #8,044 of 10,664
The parts for my 320GB iPod Classic:

I used a 5th Gen 80GB iPod Video logic board, LCD, clickwheel and frame.
Tarkan's iFlash-Quad holds (2) 128GB microSDXC cards and a 64GB microSDXC card.

The battery is the 2000mAh from Alex.

The backplate is a U2 Slim Edition with a 6th Gen lock/unlock and headphone jack.

The red clickwheel is a 5th Gen, so it sticks up a bit, but makes no difference when in the case.
The 6th Gen (Classic) clickwheels on a 5th Gen (Video) logic board are slow and touchy.

The frontplate and center button are 6th Gen (Classic), so I filed down the edges of the frame.
I also added a small bit of soft velcro to raise the center button to sit flush with the clickwheel.

The finished product with a red Belkin Soft Gel case:

I have a bunch of movies loaded that I can watch on my car stereo's (albeit small) screen.
I can also use the iPod A/V cable to connect to any TV when traveling.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #8,048 of 10,664
  The parts for my 320GB iPod Classic:

I used a 5th Gen 80GB iPod Video logic board, LCD, clickwheel and frame.
Tarkan's iFlash-Quad holds (2) 128GB microSDXC cards and a 64GB microSDXC card.

The battery is the 2000mAh from Alex.

The backplate is a U2 Slim Edition with a 6th Gen lock/unlock and headphone jack.

The red clickwheel is a 5th Gen, so it sticks up a bit, but makes no difference when in the case.
The 6th Gen (Classic) clickwheels on a 5th Gen (Video) logic board are slow and touchy.

The frontplate and center button are 6th Gen (Classic), so I filed down the edges of the frame.
I also added a small bit of soft velcro to raise the center button to sit flush with the clickwheel.

The finished product with a red Belkin Soft Gel case:

I have a bunch of movies loaded that I can watch on my car stereo's (albeit small) screen.
I can also use the iPod A/V cable to connect to any TV when traveling.

this kinda proves what i was saying about fiting this addapters, http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221149974785-0-1/s-l1000.jpg,  inside a thin case, if that battery fits so does this.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #8,051 of 10,664
This may be  off topic but I have a question if you guys can help me.

Is it possible to play rockboxed ipod 5g thru line out to  AUX in car while charging it thru USB port? I tried and it doesn't seem to work that way. I have a cable with LOD to USB and 3.5mm jack, but every time I plug it to USB port the ipod stops playing music and USB charging mode is enabled. 

Thanks

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #8,052 of 10,664
This may be  off topic but I have a question if you guys can help me.

Is it possible to play rockboxed ipod 5g thru line out to  AUX in car while charging it thru USB port? I tried and it doesn't seem to work that way. I have a cable with LOD to USB and 3.5mm jack, but every time I plug it to USB port the ipod stops playing music and USB charging mode is enabled. 

Thanks
Press Menu and Select (Centre) buttons simultaneously before connecting to the USB, it may work!
Or try Select and Play...

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,053 of 10,664
  Here's my finished all black Classic with the 2000mAh battery and slim back.  

Lovely.  Oft-attempted, but before the quad-adaptor it never quite worked, I think!  I gather this only works for that particular battery, right?

Presumably higher-capacity micro-cards will be along before long, and hence even more storage.  I'm hoping Tarkan will eventually come up with a micro adaptor that can take even more than 4 cards (if not 8 then maybe 6 could physically fit?)

I wonder how far the ipod workhorse can go?  Its cool that it can cope with 1Tb and tens-of-thousands-of-tracks without much slowdown on menus and such.

Oh  yeah - can some enterprising Chinese seller start producing clickwheels in other colours than black, white or red?  Last time I wished for a black (non-U2) back-plate it happened shortly afterwards, so...

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #8,054 of 10,664

Lovely.  Oft-attempted, but before the quad-adaptor it never quite worked, I think!  I gather this only works for that particular battery, right?

Presumably higher-capacity micro-cards will be along before long, and hence even more storage.  I'm hoping Tarkan will eventually come up with a micro adaptor that can take even more than 4 cards (if not 8 then maybe 6 could physically fit?)

I wonder how far the ipod workhorse can go?  Its cool that it can cope with 1Tb and tens-of-thousands-of-tracks without much slowdown on menus and such.

Oh  yeah - can some enterprising Chinese seller start producing clickwheels in other colours than black, white or red?  Last time I wished for a black (non-U2) back-plate it happened shortly afterwards, so...

On the subject of micro sd cards the 256 has now been announced, though naturally it is very expensive right now.  The good thing is that it has started to drive down the price of the 200 giggers.

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #8,055 of 10,664
Hey 80hz,

Was the iFlash Quad with the 2000mah battery a very tight fit? Do you think there is a 1 millimeter or 1.5 millimeter space in between?

If the MicroSD to SDXC adapters that 0rpheu mentioned ( http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221149974785-0-1/s-l1000.jpg ) indeed work with Tarkan's iFlash Quad, one could theoretically get 4 such adapters, get four PNY 512GB SDXC cards inserted and taped to the iFlash and create a thin 2TB iPod with a 2000mah battery! With the thick back I think it would be possible, always assuming that the microsd to SDXC adapters work with Tarkan's iflash Quad. Something in the idea of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749336/the-ultimate-dap-512gb-storage-10-000mah-battery-features-of-note-4-32bit-382khz-dsd-wi-fi-support but with 4 adapters fitted.

Imagine the possibilities if all actually works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back