Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 9, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #8,057 of 10,664
  Hey 80hz,

Was the iFlash Quad with the 2000mah battery a very tight fit? Do you think there is a 1 millimeter or 1.5 millimeter space in between?

If the MicroSD to SDXC adapters that 0rpheu mentioned ( http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221149974785-0-1/s-l1000.jpg ) indeed work with Tarkan's iFlash Quad, one could theoretically get 4 such adapters, get four PNY 512GB SDXC cards inserted and taped to the iFlash and create a thin 2TB iPod with a 2000mah battery! With the thick back I think it would be possible, always assuming that the microsd to SDXC adapters work with Tarkan's iflash Quad. Something in the idea of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749336/the-ultimate-dap-512gb-storage-10-000mah-battery-features-of-note-4-32bit-382khz-dsd-wi-fi-support but with 4 adapters fitted.

Imagine the possibilities if all actually works!

It is a very tight fit. It took some effort to get completely closed. Definitely no room for any additional adapters.
However, I would guess that a thick back might allow for 4 of those adapters plus the 2000mAh battery.
The other question would be if the iFlash-Quad would even recognize 512GB in each slot.
I prefer a slim iPod, so I would just get a smaller high capacity battery to allow room for the 4 adapters with the iFlash-Quad.
Alex also sells those if you just ask for the smaller battery when purchasing the 2000mAh battery.
I ordered one, however my opinion is that it looks to be more in the range of 1000-1200mAh capacity (based on volume).

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #8,058 of 10,664
Hello Guys,

I have an iPod 5.5 video that I like very much. Since I have already changed the battery once and repaired twice other gadgets from Apple I will do this mod.

I saw line that nowadays the only option is not the mSata, We can for all sorts of cards.
I don´t need to go over 250 gb and I really want to save battery and improve file transfer speed from my mac to it. It is rock boxed.

What would be the best option right now?
Do I need to revert the rockbox?

Where can I get the needed parts? Many thanks.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #8,059 of 10,664
  This may be  off topic but I have a question if you guys can help me.

Is it possible to play rockboxed ipod 5g thru line out to  AUX in car while charging it thru USB port? I tried and it doesn't seem to work that way. I have a cable with LOD to USB and 3.5mm jack, but every time I plug it to USB port the ipod stops playing music and USB charging mode is enabled. 

Thanks

It may be possible - try a USB cable doesn't have the data pins connected.  You should be able to charge and play - isn't that how most dock compatible stereos work?  If a charger is just giving it 5v 500mA instead of trying to negotiate for more power over the data pins it could work.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #8,060 of 10,664
Hello Guys,

I have an iPod 5.5 video that I like very much. Since I have already changed the battery once and repaired twice other gadgets from Apple I will do this mod.

I saw line that nowadays the only option is not the mSata, We can for all sorts of cards.
I don´t need to go over 250 gb and I really want to save battery and improve file transfer speed from my mac to it. It is rock boxed.

What would be the best option right now?
Do I need to revert the rockbox?

Where can I get the needed parts? Many thanks.

The easiest option is to go for one of tarkan's sd adopters ( http://iflash.xyz ) and get one or two sd cards that suits your storage needs.
The SD cards improve the transfer speed compared to a HDD. I don't know anything about speed differences between Rockbox or OF.
The SD cards also use less power than the HDD and the mSATA'S. If you really want to increase your battery life a lot you have to get a thick back and a 1800mAh or 2000mAh battery. The former you can get anywhere on eBay or aliexpress, the latter only Alex is selling them on eBay.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #8,062 of 10,664
I sat down to do this for the first time ever and it's been a little stressful. I'm stuck at one (important) thing....I wonder is there something wrong with my tarkan dual sd adapter? I just cannot get the iPod's HD ribbon to go in. I force it as much as I dare, put down the little black clasp yet the ribbon comes away.

I've been at it for ages. Is there a knack to it or might I have a dodgy adapter? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #8,065 of 10,664
Yeah tried all that. I have the black lock upright but it seems like the slot is still obstructed. I just can't get the ribbon to go in anything other than a minute amount.

Losing the will to life. Feel like murdering someone.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8,067 of 10,664
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member here, I have a couple of questions I need help with.

I've got a 7th gen ipod 160gb thin version.

Originally I wanted to get a SSD upgrade to something like 500gb using a samsung 850 evo msata.

After reading various posts about I will need a double headed cable that has firewire and usb for charging and syncing, is this true and out of all the other different options like,

quad iflash (4 Micro sd cards)
dual iflash (2 sd cards)
solo iflash (1 sd card)
sata iflash (msata)

which one is the most reliable / best?

Will a sd card option be as fast as the normal spinning hard drive and faster access?

Thanks

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #8,068 of 10,664
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member here, I have a couple of questions I need help with.

I've got a 7th gen ipod 160gb thin version.

Originally I wanted to get a SSD upgrade to something like 500gb using a samsung 850 evo msata.

After reading various posts about I will need a double headed cable that has firewire and usb for charging and syncing, is this true and out of all the other different options like,

quad iflash (4 Micro sd cards)
dual iflash (2 sd cards)
solo iflash (1 sd card)
sata iflash (msata)

which one is the most reliable / best?

Will a sd card option be as fast as the normal spinning hard drive and faster access?

Thanks

I would suggest you to go for an sd or dual sd adapter (depending on the prices of 2x256 vs 512 or if you might want to expand afterwards). The advantages are plenty (faster, uses less energy, doesn't heat up, reliability, ...) and apart frop the fact that there are no cheap generic adapters I don't know any disadvantage.
That being said you don't actually need a y cable with an mSATA SSD and it is still a possibility to go down that road. Personally I don't see why you would except if you have an mSATA lying around.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #8,069 of 10,664
I would suggest you to go for an sd or dual sd adapter (depending on the prices of 2x256 vs 512 or if you might want to expand afterwards). The advantages are plenty (faster, uses less energy, doesn't heat up, reliability, ...) and apart frop the fact that there are no cheap generic adapters I don't know any disadvantage.
That being said you don't actually need a y cable with an mSATA SSD and it is still a possibility to go down that road. Personally I don't see why you would except if you have an mSATA lying around.

On a similar note I assume that there would be no problem using a micro sd card in an adapter (to make it full size) in the original iflash?

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #8,070 of 10,664

At the moment I don't have any SD cards, msata drives or micro sd cards. So from the point of view for best/reliability would you recommend me to get the dual sd card option and then say pick up some 256gb cards from amazon.

Then comes the next scenario of what sd cards work? there is a whole list on the iflash.xyz website,

1. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U1) Kingston SDA10/256GB (Since Jan 2016 reports of faulty cards or failure on use)
    2. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Komputerbay Professional
    3. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U1) PNY Elite Performance
    4. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) PNY Elite Performance
    5. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) PNY Elite Performance
    6. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Sandisk Extreme Pro
    7. 256Gb SDXC UHS-I (U3) Sony High Speed (SF-G2UX2)

For say the 256Gb Komputerbay professional. Would this card be acceptable as the price seens very good compared to the other makes. current price is,

Komputerbay Professional 256 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/Sec Flash Card £54.00

Komputerbay Professional 256 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 600X Flash Card £57.00

There are two different cards on Amazon, but don't know which one is the right one?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back