Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 24, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #8,026 of 10,664
I got a white 5.5th gen to sell if anyone's interested. 30gb model spent its whole life in a case, so super clean.

Both sides are very clean but I'm gonna do my 1TB mod on a black one I decided. I also found out Tarkan adapters work in another player I liked  that was non iPod.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,027 of 10,664
  you can use the 6/7th gen face plate on 5th gen, you have to remove the excess metal on the frame, remove the LCD and logic board and use a fine file and file off only marked area.

here you can see 5th and 7th gen faceplate, 

This method works really well and I will show my creation once I get all the parts to make a U2 5th Gen with a 6th Gen faceplate.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #8,028 of 10,664
  This method works really well and I will show my creation once I get all the parts to make a U2 5th Gen with a 6th Gen faceplate.

I like the concept - but haven't tried it and don't currently have any unassembled ipods to give it a go...but, just out of interest, is it possible to, instead of adapting a 5th gen frame, to just use a 5th gen logic board with a faceplate _and_ frame from 6th gen?  Does a 5th gen logic board not fit a 'classic' frame then? Or is it the clickwheel that is the difficulty?

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #8,029 of 10,664
To be honest ThinWalls, I don't know. I'll check later to see if I have any 6/7th Gen frames and see how a 5th Gen logic board fits. I just happened to have preped a 5th Gen frame a while ago for this mod. And I'm going to use a 5th Gen clickwheel with the 6th gen front and center button since a 6th Gen clickwheel lags a lot on the 5th Gen logic board. I'm also going to do something to raise up the 6th Gen center button since I know it won't be flush. Still working on that one.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #8,030 of 10,664
So, the reason you can't use a 6th Gen frame with a 5th Gen logic board is because the 5th Gen LCD screens are actually thicker than the 6/7th Gen screens, and the 6th gen frame doesn't allow for the extra thickness. The front plate can't fit properly and the holes don't line up for the screws. Mystery solved.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #8,037 of 10,664
I've noticed several 256gb SDXC cards are now at affordable prices on ebay.co.uk from UK sellers.
Cheapest is around £46.
Anyone here tried any of them?

£4 more would get the patriot 256 sdxc card of amazon uk.  Better that than some ebay sellers.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #8,038 of 10,664
long time ipod G5.5 with a 240 gb hd rockbox user here, my own ipods audio socket is no longer functioning properly and i saw that this company offers an SSD upgrade to 1TB.
I read some posts in this thread and i want to make sure that i got everything correct.
The upgrade to 1TB is generally done with some weird ass fancy interface + SDXC cards as seen a couple posts up? I assume that this company also does it in this manner.
Furthermore you can run rockbox on it but through some modified version. Sort of like when the 240gb HD option just got available i guess.

I dont think i will actually upgrade to 1TB as that seems very expensive and i want to get my ipod fixed now and not in 3 months when i got the money for 1TB. I am considering upgrading to 512gb but only if i can indeed keep on using rockbox.

thanks in advance for the info.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8,039 of 10,664

The upgrade to 1TB is generally done with some weird ass fancy interface + SDXC cards as seen a couple posts up? I assume that this company also does it in this manner.
Furthermore you can run rockbox on it but through some modified version. Sort of like when the 240gb HD option just got available i guess.

I dont think i will actually upgrade to 1TB as that seems very expensive and i want to get my ipod fixed now and not in 3 months when i got the money for 1TB. I am considering upgrading to 512gb but only if i can indeed keep on using rockbox.

thanks in advance for the info.

1tb is usually still going to be done with a solid state drive.  The 4x micro-SDXC cards are a relatively recent thing, whereas the people have been putting SSDs in iPods for a while now.  That's probably what most people are still doing - it's cheaper than the 4x card approach (256gb micro-SD cards are still fairly expensive, while 1tb SSDs have come down in price.)  Rockbox will work no matter what type of storage you have inside, but syncing with the ipod booted into rockbox has some issues - just boot back into the normal firmware when you want to sync music.

The upgrade is fairly straightforward - as is doing stuff like replacing the audio jack (parts are even usually available on Amazon, too.  Just get the right part (for like 8 bucks) and replace the audio jack/hold button and you should be fine.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #8,040 of 10,664
thing is i wanna take it on summer holiday and im leaving soon, have no experience what so ever doing this kind of stuff myself and im rather clumsy. I've never sinked with my ipod, always just have done drag and drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back