Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #7,232 of 10,664
I have a 80gb 5.5 ipod dual sdxc. So ThinWalls is correct. I can use iOS to load as many tracks as I like. Just load rockbox first. Use the dual boot to put ipod in apple's disk mode. Load. Then just don't try to play tracks with the iOS, correct?

Correct. Actually, if you dual boot to load up the iOS, and your iPod is set up to enable disk use, you don't have to enter disk mode. You just load to the default music folder you placed in the root (Mine is called "music"). You won't be able to play them from the iOS, but if you loaded RB you didn't want that anyway.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #7,235 of 10,664
Two things:

I bought an iPod 5th from eBay. Seller promised that he had replaced the battery. The battery lasts about an hour on playback. It can be on standby just fine for hours, but start playing it and it goes to 80% before plunging to zero. Could there be some sort of memory effect within the motherboard where it calibrates itself with the old used up battery?

Has anyone made a back case for the iPod which can accept a replaceable battery and /or Micro-SD? Theoretically it ought to be possible.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #7,238 of 10,664
Two things:

I bought an iPod 5th from eBay. Seller promised that he had replaced the battery. The battery lasts about an hour on playback. It can be on standby just fine for hours, but start playing it and it goes to 80% before plunging to zero. Could there be some sort of memory effect within the motherboard where it calibrates itself with the old used up battery?

Has anyone made a back case for the iPod which can accept a replaceable battery and /or Micro-SD? Theoretically it ought to be possible.

I've found somtimes new batteries are bad from the start (its very annoying - though not as bad as with faulty third-party clickwheels where you only find out once you've put the whole thing together again)  So maybe the seller did indeed put a brand new battery in, but that battery turned out to be a bad one?

As the 5th gens are very easy to open, you could just try replacing it yourself (it would be a bigger problem on a 7th gen),  You just have to be extremely careful not to break the battery cable/connector [apologies if you know all this already!].

[Edit - though I wonder if its possible for a logic board to have an electrical fault that causes excessive battery drain?]

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #7,240 of 10,664

I received an email reply from Oppo technical assistance.

While they don't officially list the Classic as a supported iPod model for HA-2 connection via USB, they admit it does work but could need coaxing in terms of getting the initialization handshake to occur. Things like power cycling either the HA-2, or the iPod, or connecting/reconnecting the 30-pin cable in a particular sequence. This is because the Classic uses an older version of MFI authentication than the HA-2 was designed for.

That said, I received my HA-2 yesterday and have had no such fussy connection issues at all, using an iFlash modified 128GB SDXC Gen. 6 Classic:

I should have asked this long back, but will the stock USB cable work or do I need a special cable like the one in the picture? I am trying to see if there is a special apple certified cable, in which case I can try and see if it works with the Chord Mojo.

Aliexpress and Ebay is full of lightning cables that are made to work without the apple CCK, so if there is a 30 pin version of that, would be interesting to see if other dacs are compatible with the Classic.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #7,241 of 10,664
I should have asked this long back, but will the stock USB cable work or do I need a special cable like the one in the picture? I am trying to see if there is a special apple certified cable, in which case I can try and see if it works with the Chord Mojo.

Aliexpress and Ebay is full of lightning cables that are made to work without the apple CCK, so if there is a 30 pin version of that, would be interesting to see if other dacs are compatible with the Classic.

Stock cable should work. I used it with my IPod 7th generation to my HP-P1 DAC. Worked fine. But I did pick up a very short version of the one in the picture. I think it's a furutech or a Forza. I don't know why, but it seemed to improve the sound a little. You should be able to find one by lurking in the classifieds for a month or so.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #7,242 of 10,664
Stock cable should work. I used it with my IPod 7th generation to my HP-P1 DAC. Worked fine. But I did pick up a very short version of the one in the picture. I think it's a furutech or a Forza. I don't know why, but it seemed to improve the sound a little. You should be able to find one by lurking in the classifieds for a month or so.

Thanks for the heads up will keep an eye out for it

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #7,245 of 10,664
  The only DACs that will work with an iPod Classic are those that have an MFI (made for iPod) certified input, meaning there is an authentication chip that performs a handshake with the iPod. It doesn't have anything to do with the 30-pin cable.

Yeah, the chip is inside the device, but the lightning cables I am referring to has the apple chip inside so it will work with any dac.

As you can see the FiiO cable has the authentication thing built in. So if there is a 30 pin variant that can accomplish the same thing, that might open up the classic to be used with non-mfi certified dacs. Hope you get what I meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back