Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #5,722 of 10,664
All I know is to boot into original OS when charging or copying files. I remember this from experience in the past and what others have posted. I still haven't rockboxed this since I put the 128GB in because I don't think I can use the 30GB Partition Table. Using it normal for only a short time and a song already skipped to the next so Im not sure what to think about that. Maybe when I load it again I shouldn't load as much at once or should forget about lossless if I get more skips? The song played fine when I hit the back button but still annoying.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #5,723 of 10,664
I'm interested in this as well. To me my main appeal and why I mostly use iOS is for playlists. If there were a way to convert M iTunes playlists over for Rockbox, I'd switch permanently to Rockbox. I just have years of playlists accumulated that I continue to use.

Anyone got an answer for this? Thanks!

Are you on a Mac or Windows PC? If you're running a Mac, I have an applescript that will do this for you. It is a modified version of a script I found years ago to put iTunes playlists on a Sansa Clip - http://sharefiles.quietlakephoto.com/scripts/itunes2clip_download.html . Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it. I'd rather not post it here since it is a modified version of someone else's work.

Basically, this is what it does...

1 - Looks for the file rockbox-info.txt in the hidden folder .rockbox on your device to locate the drive to use
2 - Goes through the playlist that has been selected in iTunes and copies (via the Finder) each track in the playlist to the device under the folder "Music", making Artist and Album folders as necessary
3 - Writes an m3u playlist to the device under the folder "Playlists"

The script does one playlist at a time, but also treats folders in iTunes as playlists. If a track on the playlist is already on the device in the place it expects it (Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3), it will skip copying the track again and just writes the appropriate line to the playlist file. Also, it ignores protected AAC files.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5,724 of 10,664
I've used a Mac to install rockbox before but I guess now that I have 128GB installed I will have to wait to restore it on a windows machine because I can't find any info except how to do it with the original hard drives. Tarkan seems to try to give instructions but if you just format as Fat32 then iTunes does a restore and just sets it back to Mac format.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,725 of 10,664
  I've used a Mac to install rockbox before but I guess now that I have 128GB installed I will have to wait to restore it on a windows machine because I can't find any info except how to do it with the original hard drives. Tarkan seems to try to give instructions but if you just format as Fat32 then iTunes does a restore and just sets it back to Mac format.

Years ago when I put in my 240GB toshiba drive (before the flash and SSD options today), I had to restore on a Windows machine so that I could use Rockbox. Never tried just formatting it on the Mac as Fat32 since I assumed the restore process would just reformat it HFS+....and it appears that is what is happening when you do it.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #5,726 of 10,664

Yeah I have used instructions to do it on mac before but the "Partition table" files on IpodConversionToFAT32 are for old regular iPods. I can wait because rockbox is more of a novelty thing for me really. I would just like to get it done so I won't have to load everything onto it again later.

Funny thing is I was just at a friends house last night and could have done it then.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #5,727 of 10,664
  @ThinWalls How's your Rockbox build running? Any trouble copying files?

Its working well enough.  After loads of resynchs (am gradually re-ripping every cd at higher bit-rates), haven't had any problems.

Occasionally falls over in the middle of a long synch, but it doesn't corrupt the disk in any way that causes problems, just have to start again.  (Though I do get that annoying 'shall i scan the disk' message from windows).

Have almost run out of space though, getting close to 256gb.  Roll on affordable 512gb sdxc.  SDXC with rockbox seems more stable than ssd or (for me) sdxc with iTunes (and anyway I now have too many tracks for the original firmware).

Obviously I use rockbox mode because on 7th gen there isn't really any other method (haven't dared try emcore disk-mode in case it corrupts everything).

Oh - I need to figure out how to do in foobar2000 something equivalent to 'unchecking' tracks in iTunes.  Need an 'antiplaylist' of tracks in library I don't want to synch, because its getting to the point where I can no longer fit the enntire library on there.  A playlist of tracks to synch isn't ideal when you want to synch everything _except_ certain tracks.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #5,728 of 10,664

Are you on a Mac or Windows PC? If you're running a Mac, I have an applescript that will do this for you. It is a modified version of a script I found years ago to put iTunes playlists on a Sansa Clip - http://sharefiles.quietlakephoto.com/scripts/itunes2clip_download.html . Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it. I'd rather not post it here since it is a modified version of someone else's work.

Basically, this is what it does...

1 - Looks for the file rockbox-info.txt in the hidden folder .rockbox on your device to locate the drive to use
2 - Goes through the playlist that has been selected in iTunes and copies (via the Finder) each track in the playlist to the device under the folder "Music", making Artist and Album folders as necessary
3 - Writes an m3u playlist to the device under the folder "Playlists"

The script does one playlist at a time, but also treats folders in iTunes as playlists. If a track on the playlist is already on the device in the place it expects it (Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3), it will skip copying the track again and just writes the appropriate line to the playlist file. Also, it ignores protected AAC files.

I was looking for something like that for Windows, but now have just (tediously) exported every playlist one-at-a-time.  Lord, Apple make things more work than they need to,  They seem very clingy - they really don't want you to be able to leave them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back