Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #5,701 of 10,664
Hi folks. New to this site but I have read all 380 pages. I have learned so much! Thank you to all who have contributed! I have a question which I don't believe has been answered. We know that the 6th generation first version has a limit to 128gb. We also know that the next version (often called generation 7) uses the same logic board but had a software patch which enabled 160gb disc drives and beyond. So is the software patch to convert a sixth generation version 1 to the latest generation available?  Come on! Somebody must be hiding it! We all need it!. It would basically equalize the playing field for all sixth gen iPod classics. Cheers. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #5,706 of 10,664
  Thank you! However, is the emCore build the same? Or is that also patched? I'm now trying a different build (r859) and it's remained static for about 10mins on the "Formatting" splash screen.
I am going to leave it overnight just to validate it's not impatience on my part.

I had the same thing last time I had trouble. Is everything else working OK? The Rockbox fallback image?

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #5,707 of 10,664
If I want to install Rockbox on a 5.5 128GB using mac and have to manually convert it to FAT32 I can't use the 30GB partition table because its not 30GB anymore right? Is there a way to still do this or do I have to use iTunes on Winblows to restore it?

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #5,708 of 10,664
Has anyone had any experience with the black thin back for the iPod classic 7th gen?? 
Heres a link wondering if anyone has done this to their mod?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301586419602?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #5,709 of 10,664
  I had the same thing last time I had trouble. Is everything else working OK? The Rockbox fallback image?

It's about 10 hours and it's still on the formatting screen. I haven't been able to see if Rockbox works. I can't remember what was on Beyondwind's website. Was there any information regarding emcore?

I tried using stock iPod OS; whilst syncing with itunes it freezes randomly. Once at track #250 out of 9850 and then at #2560 out of 9850. I have to "unsafely" remove the USB cable which causes the iPod to restart, and then I'm greeted with a red cross.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #5,711 of 10,664
  Question, if i have a 1tb ipod classic with 2000mah battery and sync all music and all goes well, if my pod runs out of battery does that mean my ipod will be corrupt and will have to restore and sync all the music back?

I know on the 5th gen it's prone to a bootloop and then says 'very low battery'. Without opening it, it's a real bitch getting it to boot into the menus.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #5,715 of 10,664

It's about 10 hours and it's still on the formatting screen. I haven't been able to see if Rockbox works. I can't remember what was on Beyondwind's website. Was there any information regarding emcore?

I tried using stock iPod OS; whilst syncing with itunes it freezes randomly. Once at track #250 out of 9850 and then at #2560 out of 9850. I have to "unsafely" remove the USB cable which causes the iPod to restart, and then I'm greeted with a red cross.

It was definitely not formatting, I can tell you that. Should take less than a minute. Beyondwind did provide a tutorial of sorts, but you can find the emCore install instructions on their own site: http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

Ironically, I'm still planning to revert to stock OS myself. Copying tracks with Rockbox rendered my iPod useless multiple times. FYI I'm using an 840 EVO as well.

According to TheSeven (from emCore) and Tarkan, the problem might have to do something with the SSD entering 'offline mode' when transferring a large batch of files. What I remember is that modern SSDs have a certain caching mechanism that iPods don't use. When those caches stay empty for a while, offline mode is triggered. This might explain your syncing trouble.

The difference between emCore and stock OS, though, is that the emCore team didn't have any technical sheet to work with, so to say, and the Apple team did. Both Tarkan and TheSeven recommended I revert to stock OS because it's just way more stable with mSATA. See http://www.tarkan.info/20141213/tutorials/1tb-ipod-classic-restore-sync-video

In any case my SSD is spitting out errors because of all the misuse, so I have to take it out again.

TLDR: Stock OS > emCore/Rockbox when it comes to mSATA. And don't sync large batches of files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back