Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 19, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,671 of 10,664
  Great like always, the memory card will be the first thing to arrive. I was just looking through the thread and noticed that my 5.5 click wheel might not be great with the Classic faceplate. Do I need to try to add a click wheel to my idemigod order before it ships? What I was originally wanting to know is does the new mid frame need adhesive like the original to make the board stick?

Hopefully some who know these things are still around.

The Classic clickwheel does not work on the Video board.  I have tried.

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,672 of 10,664

So it works with the 5 like cmarti said, but not the 5.5? If the one I have sticks out a little thats no big deal and would save me $10 or more if it has to ship separately. Maybe I will just look into sanding when everything gets here

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,673 of 10,664
Hello All,

I just tried this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Sd-Sdhc-Sdxc-Tf-Memory-Card-to-Cf-Compact-Flash-Type-I-Adapter-up-to-512GB-/161621411360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a1630620&rmvSB=true

In an iPod gen 5 video (64mb ram - 60gb version) with a Tarkan iFlash CF adapter (version 3) and a 256gb PNY Elite Performance SDXC class 10 card. Here is what happened:

The iPod booted up and looked fine so I selected an artist and tried to play some music. Instead of playing the first track it just started track skipping through the entire library. I turned off the iPod and put Tarkan's type 2 CF adapter back in and turned it back on. I went to the same artist and clicked play and everything worked fine again, no track skipping.

There are only music files on this iPod, all M4A, and there has never been any issues with it whatsoever with the exception of wanting more battery life. It is running the stock firmware through iTunes and is fully updated. I tried the type I adapter so I could put a 2000mah battery in it. The Tarkan type 2 adapter  feels very well made, is sturdy, and has a nice spring loaded mech for holding the SDXC card, only it is too thick for a 2000mah battery as most of you know on here. The type I adapter off eBay feels cheap, is flimsy, and has nothing to hold the SDXC card except for the friction of the plastic itself and actually costs more than Tarkan's type 2 by a couple dollars after you pay for shipping. Even if it did work I would be skeptical of the card staying connected on its own during the long run without glue or tape which would be ghetto. I didn't bother trying the battery with the type I since the iPod was skipping everything and besides I wanted to change one thing, the adapter, and see the result. I also did not take the time to restore it through iTunes and try again. I have some 5.5 gen iPods here and may get another card and try it with one of those.

The auction said it would work up to 512gb but the iPod disagrees. I wonder why it skipped files instead of playing them when everything else looked fine? I am not going back to mp3s if it is a file size issue. Going away from mp3s is the whole reason I started tinkering with iPods in the first place.

Has anyone had any luck with a different type I adapter in a gen 5/5.5 with a 256gb SDXC card?

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #5,674 of 10,664
  Hello All,

I just tried this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Sd-Sdhc-Sdxc-Tf-Memory-Card-to-Cf-Compact-Flash-Type-I-Adapter-up-to-512GB-/161621411360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a1630620&rmvSB=true

In an iPod gen 5 video (64mb ram - 60gb version) with a Tarkan iFlash CF adapter (version 3) and a 256gb PNY Elite Performance SDXC class 10 card. Here is what happened:

The iPod booted up and looked fine so I selected an artist and tried to play some music. Instead of playing the first track it just started track skipping through the entire library. I turned off the iPod and put Tarkan's type 2 CF adapter back in and turned it back on. I went to the same artist and clicked play and everything worked fine again, no track skipping.

There are only music files on this iPod, all M4A, and there has never been any issues with it whatsoever with the exception of wanting more battery life. It is running the stock firmware through iTunes and is fully updated. I tried the type I adapter so I could put a 2000mah battery in it. The Tarkan type 2 adapter  feels very well made, is sturdy, and has a nice spring loaded mech for holding the SDXC card, only it is too thick for a 2000mah battery as most of you know on here. The type I adapter off eBay feels cheap, is flimsy, and has nothing to hold the SDXC card except for the friction of the plastic itself and actually costs more than Tarkan's type 2 by a couple dollars after you pay for shipping. Even if it did work I would be skeptical of the card staying connected on its own during the long run without glue or tape which would be ghetto. I didn't bother trying the battery with the type I since the iPod was skipping everything and besides I wanted to change one thing, the adapter, and see the result. I also did not take the time to restore it through iTunes and try again. I have some 5.5 gen iPods here and may get another card and try it with one of those.

The auction said it would work up to 512gb but the iPod disagrees. I wonder why it skipped files instead of playing them when everything else looked fine? I am not going back to mp3s if it is a file size issue. Going away from mp3s is the whole reason I started tinkering with iPods in the first place.

Has anyone had any luck with a different type I adapter in a gen 5/5.5 with a 256gb SDXC card?

Er, not sure what happened, tried to reply to this post and my reply didn't appear.  Maybe it will now appear twice?

Was saying I tried the same adaptor.  Some sellers seem to claim it supports 512gb but others only claim 128gb and it seems they are right.  I found it failed when copying anything to it beyond the 128gb point.  I don't think there is a type I that goes beyond that - can only hope Tarkan finds one eventually!

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5,675 of 10,664
So I'm embarking on the journey of a new dap and ive stumbled upon this thread.

I was looking at getting the Fiio X1 + 128gb card but I noticed 30gb iPod classic 5th gen can be bought rather cheaply.

Are the 5th gens really any good and still worth modding in this day and age?

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #5,677 of 10,664
Whoa - amazing thread - but I have a simple request. Is there way to find a link to the solution page for a 5th gen ipod upgrade to SSD with all parts that work and links
to sources for those parts. 379 posts and I don't know where to find this information. maybe i'm missing something in this forum as many forums have a SOLUTION page
but I don 't know where to find that here. Cheers

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5,679 of 10,664

So it works with the 5 like cmarti said, but not the 5.5? If the one I have sticks out a little thats no big deal and would save me $10 or more if it has to ship separately. Maybe I will just look into sanding when everything gets here

Like I stated before, I am using it on my 5.5th iPod video.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #5,680 of 10,664
Hey gang, 

I wanted some pictures of the cover that Alex (Same guy that sells the 2000mAh iPod battery) is working on.

Alex sent me one to test it before they go on sale. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #5,681 of 10,664
Oh man Im a sucker for leather cases but I was going to try to go without a case on this one. Kind of the reason I wanted to get a classic faceplate.

Quote:

Like I stated before, I am using it on my 5.5th iPod video.

Weird because I noticed some other post around the net saying it wouldn't work. Maybe those were 5.0? Im going to try sanding the bumps down first because it seems silly to order a new wheel just because of some little plastic bumps.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5,682 of 10,664
  Oh man Im a sucker for leather cases but I was going to try to go without a case on this one. Kind of the reason I wanted to get a classic faceplate.
Weird because I noticed some other post around the net saying it wouldn't work. Maybe those were 5.0? Im going to try sanding the bumps down first because it seems silly to order a new wheel just because of some little plastic bumps.

Maybe it's because I am using a cheap Chinese one?  I put it in without thinking about it too much and to my surprise it works just like the stock one :)

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #5,683 of 10,664
Can you direct me to your FINAL summary of what works and what does not work. There are 300 plus pages and I can't find the results of your test and no one else is replying to my request of what DEFINITELY WORKS with a Ipod 5th gen.

Great thread but I don't see a SOLUTION sticky anywhere... every forum runs a bit different , help?   Cheerio.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #5,684 of 10,664
  Can you direct me to your FINAL summary of what works and what does not work. There are 300 plus pages and I can't find the results of your test and no one else is replying to my request of what DEFINITELY WORKS with a Ipod 5th gen.

Great thread but I don't see a SOLUTION sticky anywhere... every forum runs a bit different , help?   Cheerio.

Why, you don't want to do like the rest of us who read all 379 pages? 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back