Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 29, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #4,681 of 10,664

Space but also durability, although I did not have a,y problems with the hard drive of my iPod it is no secret that they are very prone to breakdown. Come back if/when your hard drive breaks down and ask your question again :wink:

Edit: Now I forgot to ask my own question. I discovered that the headphone controls don't work with a 5th gen iPod :s (this was one of the reasons I wanted to go back to OF instead of RB) so I might as well use it in combination with my iBasso D12 and a LOD cable. My question to you guys is this: what do you think is best a "simple" LOD cable like a if L9 or is a more expensive one worth it? 

Well, if the hard drive fails, then I have to replace it and I no longer need to ask questions about it. 
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4,683 of 10,664

Space but also durability, although I did not have a,y problems with the hard drive of my iPod it is no secret that they are very prone to breakdown. Come back if/when your hard drive breaks down and ask your question again :wink:

Edit: Now I forgot to ask my own question. I discovered that the headphone controls don't work with a 5th gen iPod :s (this was one of the reasons I wanted to go back to OF instead of RB) so I might as well use it in combination with my iBasso D12 and a LOD cable. My question to you guys is this: what do you think is best a "simple" LOD cable like a if L9 or is a more expensive one worth it? 

There is a forum member that makes customer LOD's and also does the cap mod for little money.

He made my LOD (See below pic) and it's not only good looking, it sounds great and it's solid!

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,685 of 10,664
  There is a forum member that makes customer LOD's and also does the cap mod for little money.

He made my LOD (See below pic) and it's not only good looking, it sounds great and it's solid!

Thank you, I forgot to mention that I live in Belgium so I guess shipping and customs will make this expensive. But I'll contact him and ask, you may never know...

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #4,686 of 10,664
Team,

I have been struggling for the better part of 2 months to get a 512G using the Samsung EVO and Tartan msata adapter.
Hats off to those of you that have been successful.

In the process I have ruined two mother boards by breaking off the batt. connector, however, I now have a tool to prevent that. I have the 2000ma batt, two actually, although I suspect the second batt is no good and have to talk to Alex about that.
After a million red x, and the issue of not powering off the PC before unplugging external msata adapter, I finally have a 6Gen that was Rockboxed with the hard drive removed and replaced with the 512G card.

I now know the Rockbox software is on the memory on the motherboard and not on the drives, I didn't know that, so Rockbox is now asking to plug into the PC to partition.

Before I screw up now, what partitions do I create, or what is the best step forward?

Man this is like theraphy!!

Thanks

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4,687 of 10,664
I've read the whole damn thing... but about halfway through my brain started to melt.

So, just to make sure... there is *no* combination of ipod fronts and backs that will permit the 2000mah battery to work with the SD-CF combo adapter... unless you want to risk cramming the back shut in a way that might break something... it's like trying to put 6 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb bag... is this correct?

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #4,688 of 10,664
  Team,

I have been struggling for the better part of 2 months to get a 512G using the Samsung EVO and Tartan msata adapter.
Hats off to those of you that have been successful.

In the process I have ruined two mother boards by breaking off the batt. connector, however, I now have a tool to prevent that. I have the 2000ma batt, two actually, although I suspect the second batt is no good and have to talk to Alex about that.
After a million red x, and the issue of not powering off the PC before unplugging external msata adapter, I finally have a 6Gen that was Rockboxed with the hard drive removed and replaced with the 512G card.

I now know the Rockbox software is on the memory on the motherboard and not on the drives, I didn't know that, so Rockbox is now asking to plug into the PC to partition.

Before I screw up now, what partitions do I create, or what is the best step forward?

Man this is like theraphy!!

Thanks

Rockbox is installed on your hard drive but the bootloader with back-up image is on the motherboard. I thought that after running the bootstrapper and putting the .ubi file on the iPod it would format the drive for you. Then you can connect it to your PC and put rockbox on it. If you can already boot in rockbox (or maybe the fallback image) just make sure the drive is in fat32 and again put the map on it.

I hope the explanation was clear enough but basically it boils down to having a fat32 drive with a .rockbox map on it, and don't go for a stable release with a 6th gen, they are too old.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #4,689 of 10,664
  I've read the whole damn thing... but about halfway through my brain started to melt.

So, just to make sure... there is *no* combination of ipod fronts and backs that will permit the 2000mah battery to work with the SD-CF combo adapter... unless you want to risk cramming the back shut in a way that might break something... it's like trying to put 6 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb bag... is this correct?

If I'm not mistaken (man a lot of my answers start like this) you could file of a mm or so from the adapter and it should fit but I don't have that adapter so I can't tell for sure.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #4,690 of 10,664

You can also file down the adapter where there is this plastic part where you insert the CF car to lower the profile and make sure the battery ribbon cable is not double bent where it touches the CF to ZIF adapter. I think some did this already, it will be crammed but should work, somehow :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #4,691 of 10,664

If I'm not mistaken (man a lot of my answers start like this) you could file of a mm or so from the adapter and it should fit but I don't have that adapter so I can't tell for sure.

You can also file down the adapter where there is this plastic part where you insert the CF car to lower the profile and make sure the battery ribbon cable is not double bent where it touches the CF to ZIF adapter. I think some did this already, it will be crammed but should work, somehow :)

OK... thanks guys... 

Now that you mention it, that kinda rings a bell... trying to remember what everybody said in this thread is kinda like trying to remember the '60's:  "I know I was there, but..."

Another question:  one can get the 2000mah battery with or without the back.  If you have a 5th-gen 60GB, do you need the back? Is the back that comes with the big battery deeper than the original one?

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4,692 of 10,664

OK... thanks guys... 

Now that you mention it, that kinda rings a bell... trying to remember what everybody said in this thread is kinda like trying to remember the '60's:  "I know I was there, but..."

Another question:  one can get the 2000mah battery with or without the back.  If you have a 5th-gen 60GB, do you need the back? Is the back that comes with the big battery deeper than the original one?

No you don't need the back if you already have the 60gb iPod video.

I heard ya' about the 60's, I heard that there was a lot of smoke and acid in the environment those days  
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4,693 of 10,664

No you don't need the back if you already have the 60gb iPod video.

I heard ya' about the 60's, I heard that there was a lot of smoke and acid in the environment those days  
tongue.gif

And all those people experimenting with weird stuff like mSATA drives and RB firmware patches or am I mixing both? 
confused.gif

OK... thanks guys... 

As cmarti said your thick cover will fit but you can also order a new backplate with the right space engraving or do like me and put your initials in there 
cool.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4,694 of 10,664

Rockbox is installed on your hard drive but the bootloader with back-up image is on the motherboard. I thought that after running the bootstrapper and putting the .ubi file on the iPod it would format the drive for you. Then you can connect it to your PC and put rockbox on it. If you can already boot in rockbox (or maybe the fallback image) just make sure the drive is in fat32 and again put the map on it.

I hope the explanation was clear enough but basically it boils down to having a fat32 drive with a .rockbox map on it, and don't go for a stable release with a 6th gen, they are too old.

Rockbox says "no partiton found, insert USB cable and fix it"

However, the card was originally formatted to fat32, and now it is not showing up anywhere in windows, or AOMEI.

I think I have to go back to reformat msata card externally. One step forward and two backwards.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #4,695 of 10,664
And all those people experimenting with weird stuff like mSATA drives and RB firmware patches or am I mixing both? :confused:

As cmarti said your thick cover will fit but you can also order a new backplate with the right space engraving or do like me and put your initials in there :cool:

Sorry, but who provides theses backplates with Space, initials on it? Do you have a contact, a seller? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back