Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #4,696 of 10,664
  Rockbox says "no partiton found, insert USB cable and fix it"

However, the card was originally formatted to fat32, and now it is not showing up anywhere in windows, or AOMEI.

I think I have to go back to reformat msata card externally. One step forward and two backwards.

Am I right assuming that you are using the EmCORE boot loader to rockbox your iPod? Have you tried:
1) Once it boots up in the EmCORE menu go to tools -> format drive? You should see a bunch of no's and one yes. After that you should try to put rockbox on it again.
2) If that doesn't work you could getting it back in UMSboot and copying your .ubi file to it. Then safely eject the iPod. In my case after ejecting the iPod the EmCore boot loader would run and format the drive. After that I could simply put the rockbox map on it.

Sorry, but who provides theses backplates with Space, initials on it? Do you have a contact, a seller? Thank you

The same guy who sells the batteries also sells thick backblates, for a little bit extra he can also get you a custom engraving.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #4,700 of 10,664
  Hi all, I did a msata ssd mod 480gb crucial on a 7g ipod classic with the green adapter,following the guide from beyondwind, got it all working but I have a problem I cannot figure out.
Write speed to the ipod via usb on win7 is very slow,seems like it has a initial burst 9-12mb/s then decreases to a stable aprox 200-300kbps,its hardly usable this way.
Read speed from the ipod back to pc is good a stable 9mbps.
I have read about connecting the msata directly to the pc and copying the music that way, but everytime I need to put music on it? take it apart and go through all that?
I already tried formatting the drive in win fat32 with different cluster size, same result.

Any ideas or input on this issue is appreciated.

would using tarkan more expensive adapter solve the transfer speed issue?I'm starting to suspect the china green adapter may be faulty?

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4,701 of 10,664
would using tarkan more expensive adapter solve the transfer speed issue?I'm starting to suspect the china green adapter may be faulty?

I did not have any problem with my adapter and while it is possible that the adapter is faulty it seems improbable. If it were faulty I would suspect it not working at all and not having high transfer speeds at the beginning and then dropping.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #4,702 of 10,664
Hi, sort of off-topic, but I've found that the iPod 5.5G isn't compatible with my earbuds with buttons (play, pause, skip...). What's even more surprising, it looks like the only alternative is to buy a remote control that goes in between the iPod and my earbuds, but it connects to the dock port, not the audio jack. (Could it get more uncomfortable than that?)

Anyway, what do you guys do? Is there any alternative to such a pain in the back? I'm tired of having to pull off my iPod from its foam sleeve every time I want to skip a song. And no, using a case is not an option. :D

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #4,703 of 10,664
Hi, sort of off-topic, but I've found that the iPod 5.5G isn't compatible with my earbuds with buttons (play, pause, skip...). What's even more surprising, it looks like the only alternative is to buy a remote control that goes in between the iPod and my earbuds, but it connects to the dock port, not the audio jack. (Could it get more uncomfortable than that?)

Anyway, what do you guys do? Is there any alternative to such a pain in the back? I'm tired of having to pull off my iPod from its foam sleeve every time I want to skip a song. And no, using a case is not an option. :D

I just don't skip songs or when I want to use the control I just pull my 512GB mSATA 7th gen iPod Classic. :D

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #4,704 of 10,664
I noticed a post on slickdeals about a sale on 128GB SD cards (not microSD) for $50, and thought anybody looking for the CF/SD card route might be interested. I don't know if the cards work with Tarkan's adapters or any of the Chinese adapters on eBay, so anybody interested has to either do their research before buying or be willing to take a chance.

Quote from Adorama:
Lexar 128GB Class 10, Professional 400x SDXC UHS-I Memory Card
SKU: ILXSD4HU128G MFR: LSD128CTBNA400
Please Note! This Item is on the way to our warehouse and is expected in a few days.
Need help? Call 800-223-2500 212-741-0052
Special Price  $49.95
Regular Price $99.95
Free Shipping

link: http://www.adorama.com/ILXSD4HU128G.html

link for slickdeals thread: http://slickdeals.net/f/7560834-128gb-lexar-professional-class-10-uhs-1-sdxc-memory-card-50-free-shipping

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,705 of 10,664
  I noticed a post on slickdeals about a sale on 128GB SD cards (not microSD) for $50, and thought anybody looking for the CF/SD card route might be interested. I don't know if the cards work with Tarkan's adapters or any of the Chinese adapters on eBay, so anybody interested has to either do their research before buying or be willing to take a chance.

link for slickdeals thread: http://slickdeals.net/f/7560834-128gb-lexar-professional-class-10-uhs-1-sdxc-memory-card-50-free-shipping

Shiping to Serbia 90$ ahahahaha :)))))))

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #4,708 of 10,664
Assembled demi-terapod and rapidly hit first hitch...

Got impatient and tried synching despite the firewire charger not having arrived yet (I have the y-cable, but nothing to plug it into!  Particularly annoying in that I'm sure I threw out a bunch of firewire PCI cards a while back, thinking I would never, ever need them, what with not being a Mac user and firewire being obsolete anyway!). 

Not a good idea, it turns out.  Got 2000 tracks fine, then got overambitious,tried to synch a lot more and ended up with apparently unrecoverable red-cross error.

Don't have a msata-sata converter so now have to wait for one to be delivered before I can format the card and try again.  Really pays to think ahead - would be much cheaper to get one from China but not prepared to wait a month to fix this.

I have a USB-zif converter but that doesn't seem to be able to power the iflash, so can't get round it that way.

Am I right in thinking the only way forward is to reformat it with aomei with a motherboard sata connection and a msata-sata adaptor?

PS the adaptors are all described as msata to 2.5" SATA - is 2.5" SATA just plain ordinary SATA as on normal 3.5" PC hard drives?  Or have they come up with yet another interface while I wasn't paying attention?

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,709 of 10,664
The SATA interface on 2.5" and 3.5" drives is the same (you can plug in the same cables into either).  However, the exact spacing relative to the edges of the drive isn't, so if you want to use a mSATA drive in a device expecting a 2.5" SATA drive (like a laptop) you have to place the integrated power + data connector in an exact location.  Hence the specific distinction.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,710 of 10,664
  The SATA interface on 2.5" and 3.5" drives is the same (you can plug in the same cables into either).  However, the exact spacing relative to the edges of the drive isn't, so if you want to use a mSATA drive in a device expecting a 2.5" SATA drive (like a laptop) you have to place the integrated power + data connector in an exact location.  Hence the specific distinction.

I _think_ I follow that, thanks.

Plan is to connect the thing to a desktop via the appropriate cables.

Guess there's no way to reformat it till I have the adaptor thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back