Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #4,666 of 10,664
Hello, 

I can't tell for the M550.
I only have a M500 and I'm happy with it

Other thing :

Many people here seem to use a dual firewire/USB lead cable to sync the Ipod using USB while charging it using Firewire cable connected to a wall charger 

Well, I ran some tests
I used the same computer : Windows 7 32 bits
I used the same original Apple dual Firewire/USB lead cable
I used the same Itunes (last version)
I used 4 different Ipods:

. 2 Ipods 7G running 2.0.4 version including Crucial M500 480Gb mSATA Card
. 1 Ipod 7G running 2.0.5 version including Samsung EVO840 1Tb mSATA card
. 1 Ipod 5G 80Gb non-modded

I plugged the firewire cable on the orginal Apple wall charger
I plugged the USB cable on the computer

Sync worked successfully with:
. 1 Ipod 7G running 2.0.5 version including Smasung EVO840 1Tb mSATA card
. 1 Ipod 5G 80Gb non-modded

Sync didn’t work with:
. 2 Ipods 7G running 2.0.4 version including Crucial M500 480Gb mSATA Card
I tried in many ways but it didn’t worked.

At first, I thought it was related to 2.0.4 firmware
But, I can see on Tarkan's video (here : http://www.tarkan.info/20141213/tutorials/1tb-ipod-classic-restore-sync-video) , it works on Tarkan’s Ipod running 2.0.4 firmware with Samsung EVO840 1Tb mSATA card

I did another test: I plugged a standard 160Gb hard-disk on a Ipod7G 2.0.4 on which I didn’t have success with the Crucial M500 480Gb mSata card sync using the dual firewire/USB cable: it syncs perfectly with the standard hard disk on the same Ipod

So, the conclusion seems to be the following: the dual firewire/USB Cable doesn’t work with Crucial M500 480Gb cards (under WIndows 7 with last version of Itunes for me)

I would be happy to share my experience with people who use Crucial M500 mSATA cards, dual firewire/USB cable and Itunes under Windows

Well, this cable only helps to restore in one time and prevent from syncing/ loading the battery/syncing/loading the battery and so on…..

To me, those Crucial M500 cards are the mosts stables. I never had any issue with those cards. I had some with Samsung EVO840 1Tb card.
It would have been great to make this dual firewire/USB cable with Crucial M500
Thank you to share your experience.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4,667 of 10,664
@frigomax
Thanks - I think I saw your post on Tarkan's site!

How did you manage to synch everything to the M500 pod in the end?  If the firewire approach didn't work with it?  Was it possible to fill it up without power-drain problems just through normal USB?

It does seem odd that the ssd type would give different results for that, but the whole topic seems to have lots of mysterious quirks.

Now I have to decide whether to try and return the samsung and gamble on the m550 (which on paper sounds like an improvement on the m500 - less power consumption so longer battery life, which would be good - but who knows if it will actually work as well with the ipod?).  Or just go ahead with the samsung.  Samsung and m550 are about the same price here and now.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #4,668 of 10,664
To load my Itunes library on the M500, I just synced up to 80Gb , reloaded the battery, synced again up to 80Gb, reloaded the battery again, and so on until it's finished

I don't meet power-drain issues with the original slim battery I use in it

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #4,669 of 10,664
  @frigomax
Thanks - I think I saw your post on Tarkan's site!

How did you manage to synch everything to the M500 pod in the end?  If the firewire approach didn't work with it?  Was it possible to fill it up without power-drain problems just through normal USB?

It does seem odd that the ssd type would give different results for that, but the whole topic seems to have lots of mysterious quirks.

Now I have to decide whether to try and return the samsung and gamble on the m550 (which on paper sounds like an improvement on the m500 - less power consumption so longer battery life, which would be good - but who knows if it will actually work as well with the ipod?).  Or just go ahead with the samsung.  Samsung and m550 are about the same price here and now.

I would go for the M550, and maybe check the return policies of the shop. With a bit of luck you can still return the drive if it does not appear to be stable enough.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #4,670 of 10,664
I admit that I didn't read all the 312 pages of this thread, so I apologize if an answer to my question already exists!

Yesterday I placed an order for iPod 5G (30GB, slim) and I'm wondering what are the benefits if I install SSD in it? Obviously I can get more space than 30GB, but at least for now even the 30GB is enough space for my use as my music library is very small. However, does the sound or battery life of iPod 5G improve if hard drive will be replaced with SSD, or are there some other benefits included?

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #4,671 of 10,664
Well, I have unplugged the TeraPod from the computer while loading (oops). I have (on more than one occasion) reset the TeraPod while it was playing (don't ask). Last week, I plugged the TeraPod into the USB plug on the back of my seat on an airplane thinking I could recharge it. It is not for charging - it's for playing files from your ipod on the media center at your seat. Unplug it and...voila, sad face. I once turned the TeraPod off while it was playing. Sad face. I was selecting files once when the battery was almost fully drained. I selected song, TeraPod shut down, and this ended in sad face. I could go on. I know better, but it doesn't stop me.

I don't use the Apple OS, so I can only say what happens when you do this with RB. Could be different experience with different OS.

Finally, who here has 100% success (no red cross, no sad face at all) with a Terapod under Apple OS (or RockBox) with a mSATA Samsung EVO840 1Tb card?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4,672 of 10,664
  I admit that I didn't read all the 312 pages of this thread, so I apologize if an answer to my question already exists!

Yesterday I placed an order for iPod 5G (30GB, slim) and I'm wondering what are the benefits if I install SSD in it? Obviously I can get more space than 30GB, but at least for now even the 30GB is enough space for my use as my music library is very small. However, does the sound or battery life of iPod 5G improve if hard drive will be replaced with SSD, or are there some other benefits included?

Others here have lots more experience than me, but in case nobody else answers - space is really the main benefit.  Battery life gets worse, if anything (though gets better with CF or SDXC - you could go that route).

I would go for the M550, and maybe check the return policies of the shop. With a bit of luck you can still return the drive if it does not appear to be stable enough.

So, on the one hand, all the benchmarks seem to show the samsung using a lot less power even than the M550, yet alone the M500, hence, presumably, it should give longer battery life.
e.g.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/crucial-m550-ssd-review,review-32910-11.html

On the other hand, the Samsung, unlike the Crucial, doesn't have power-loss protection (the capacitors referred to earlier, presumably?) - which, I'm guessing, is why its less stable? 

And on the, er third hand, if I used the Samsung I could just get on with it without the wait of returning it and then waiting for the M550 and hoping there's no unexpected issue with it!

My plan is to continue to procrastinate for a bit.

PS rockbox is definitely growing on me - I like some of the themes a lot more than the stock ipod firmware, and it looks as if it should be possible to export my itunes playcounts and switch to using rockbox's playcount feature instead (perhaps - though I'm still not sure about the building database issue - if the problem is it takes loads of juice, can it not be done while connected via a fire-wire cable?).  Much to be said for escaping from Apple's walled garden.

Regarding the Beyondwind rockbox sata patch - is there any problem in applying that while using the latest rockbox development release?  Is it a post-applied patch or does one have to use a particular pre-patched version of Rockbox (which, presumably, might not be the most recent one)?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #4,673 of 10,664
Finally, who here has 100% success (no red cross, no sad face at all) with a Terapod under Apple OS (or RockBox) with a mSATA Samsung EVO840 1Tb card?

Despite the fragility, I don't regret building the TeraPods. Carefully handled, I have my entire collection at my fingertips. And I managed to create one of the best conversation pieces ever. And when I finally do get the 2T chip, well...you know.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,674 of 10,664
Despite the fragility, I don't regret building the TeraPods. Carefully handled, I have my entire collection at my fingertips. And I managed to create one of the best conversation pieces ever. And when I finally do get the 2T chip, well...you know.
I wonder that is the difference between the 1TB card and my 512GB one, my iPod works as stable as a stock 7th gen does with none of the locking issues and sad faces other report. Kinda hard for me to go out and try the 1TB card again because of it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,675 of 10,664
I wonder that is the difference between the 1TB card and my 512GB one, my iPod works as stable as a stock 7th gen does with none of the locking issues and sad faces other report. Kinda hard for me to go out and try the 1TB card again because of it.

The difference is 512gB.
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #4,677 of 10,664
My 1TB diymod (based on stock 5g/60GB)  powered by a 850mAh Milliamp has been free of sad faces since it was fully loaded via motherboard, even when the battery is completely drained. 

If you don't have a 1TB ipod, you are missing something in your collection. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,678 of 10,664
I just finished installing my mSATA on my 5th gen MB I ordered from China. (However it does not seem to fit wel with the iVue clear case and 2000mAh battery) Only 3000 songs left to sync. But I can't seem to restore the 6th gen to the original firmware. Whenever I put it in recovery mode iTunes asks to restore it and after clicking continue nothing happens, the screen stays black... Any idea how that's possible or what could solve it?

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #4,679 of 10,664

Others here have lots more experience than me, but in case nobody else answers - space is really the main benefit.  Battery life gets worse, if anything (though gets better with CF or SDXC - you could go that route).

Thank you very much for information. This saves me some money (and possibly trouble) as now I know that upgrade would not benefit me too much since original space is enough for my uses. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,680 of 10,664

Thank you very much for information. This saves me some money (and possibly trouble) as now I know that upgrade would not benefit me too much since original space is enough for my uses. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Space but also durability, although I did not have a,y problems with the hard drive of my iPod it is no secret that they are very prone to breakdown. Come back if/when your hard drive breaks down and ask your question again :wink:

Edit: Now I forgot to ask my own question. I discovered that the headphone controls don't work with a 5th gen iPod :s (this was one of the reasons I wanted to go back to OF instead of RB) so I might as well use it in combination with my iBasso D12 and a LOD cable. My question to you guys is this: what do you think is best a "simple" LOD cable like a if L9 or is a more expensive one worth it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back