Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 26, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #4,652 of 10,664

Ordered 500Gb and immediately wondered if I should have gone for a Tb!

I didn't go for the terabyte straight away as there were too many gotcha's for me.  I do have a 7th gen which I didn't want to touch due to me being cack-handed so now I know what I'm doing may shove a 480 in there instead.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #4,654 of 10,664
  With apple stock firmwares, how do you guys manage 500gb or 1TB music? Just scroll the wheel to find your music (playlist, album etc)?

It seems to me much easier to manage music of this size using folders and sub folders with RB.

RB have lot of option and folder manage but Original firmware give much better sound, and RB is very slow and unstable, I tried RB with 3 diferrent iPods and I dont like it...

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #4,656 of 10,664
Well, referring to my own post a few pages back, I can only say that by my _very_ crude calculations I reckon a 500gb drive would fill up at roughly the same time as the ipod runs out of directory space - but only if one uses 320kb/s for everything.

As I actually use a lower bit-rate than that for much of my library, I agree I would likely have to switch to rockbox at some point - but I'm inclined to soldier on with iTunes till I reach that database overflow problem.

In the meantime I guess I'll experiment with my Rockboxed ipod to see if I can get used to it.  Thing is, there are a number of things I can't get the hang of with Rockbox.  Contrary to what others are finding, I find it much easier to access my music via the original firmware than via directories - am a big user of smart playlists.

I completely understand your position. I did exactly the same thing. I built my first mSata as a 480gb because I really needed the extra space. I was unaware of the file number limit and I wanted to stick with iTunes stock firmware so that I could use the iPod with my Toyota. my goal was to load my entire collection onto a single iPod i would keep in the car. I coded my entire collection to 128 to 160.mp3 and proceeded to load. But when fully loaded, no directories or files would be visible on the iPod. I probably spent a month trying to figure out what was going wrong - i experimented with different storage media, different logic boards and generations before I finally realized it was a file number issue for the stock firmware. By this time i had built 128gb SD and SSD, 240gb HD, 256gb msata and SSD, 480gb mSata, and 1T mSata iPods. At a limit of about 55,000 songs, I figured a 256gb was probably my limit for iTunes stock, and for everything else, I switched to RB.

My 128gb SD and SSD, and 256gb SD 7th gen iPods with stock iTunes firmware work great in the car- and the former works better than the latter. The RB iPods do not work in the car.

My biggest issue at the moment is that the mSata TeraPods drain the 2000mAh batteries too fast. After 6months of regular use, I can get about 7-9 hours on a full charge when I use the iPod normally. A bit disappointing because I travel internationally often. The other issue I have is that the TeraPods are prone to "sad-facing" if I make the mistake of interrupting the file access. Fortunately, this is simple enough to fix, but I get really tired of having to open the Pod and pulling the chip. On the other hand, i am getting really good at it. I now travel with a least two TeraPods to avoid the pain of having nothing to listen to because I accidently locked the chip.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4,657 of 10,664
Well, referring to my own post a few pages back, I can only say that by my _very_ crude calculations I reckon a 500gb drive would fill up at roughly the same time as the ipod runs out of directory space - but only if one uses 320kb/s for everything.

As I actually use a lower bit-rate than that for much of my library, I agree I would likely have to switch to rockbox at some point - but I'm inclined to soldier on with iTunes till I reach that database overflow problem.

In the meantime I guess I'll experiment with my Rockboxed ipod to see if I can get used to it.  Thing is, there are a number of things I can't get the hang of with Rockbox.  Contrary to what others are finding, I find it much easier to access my music via the original firmware than via directories - am a big user of smart playlists.

Fan of original firmware as well. Especially since I often recognize the albums I want to listen with the album art. And prefer the way I lists artists etc (not having a whole list of the * entries )

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4,658 of 10,664
Hi DR408517,

What do you mean by " if I make the mistake of interrupting the file access" ... How do you make this mistake?
This is to avoid myself to do the same mistake as I don ´t always understand why I am facing red cross or sad face with my Ipod 7th gen classic under Apple OS with a Samsung EVO840 mSata card 1Tb
Thanx

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #4,659 of 10,664
My biggest issue at the moment is that the mSata TeraPods drain the 2000mAh batteries too fast. After 6months of regular use, I can get about 7-9 hours on a full charge when I use the iPod normally. A bit disappointing because I travel internationally often.

Puzzling that this result differs so much from Tarkan's run-time testing, which suggested 500gb SSD would have 30 hours runtime with 320kb/s mp3s _and_ the normal 850mah battery.  With the 2000mah one would expect that to scale up to 60 hours or so.  Granted different use patterns and backlight and volume etc would have an effect, but 60 hours vs 8 hours is a heck of a large discrepancy.  And if you use less than 320kb/s that should increase battery life still further.
Bit concerning - I'd kind of like more than 8 hours battery life.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4,660 of 10,664
Hi DR408517,

What do you mean by " if I make the mistake of interrupting the file access" ... How do you make this mistake?
This is to avoid myself to do the same mistake as I don ´t always understand why I am facing red cross or sad face with my Ipod 7th gen classic under Apple OS with a Samsung EVO840 mSata card 1Tb
Thanx

I think he means unplugging the iPod without ejecting it first, or while data was still being transferred etc...
I think I sometimes get the RB equivalent of a sad face on my 6th gen iPod. RB won't boot, usually it helps to build the DB on the fallback image or to delete the DB in the EMCore menu. Of course with a 7th gen you can't go for the dual boot option, so as I am writing this I realise it might not be very useful information for you :s. 

Puzzling that this result differs so much from Tarkan's run-time testing, which suggested 500gb SSD would have 30 hours runtime with 320kb/s mp3s _and_ the normal 850mah battery.  With the 2000mah one would expect that to scale up to 60 hours or so.  Granted different use patterns and backlight and volume etc would have an effect, but 60 hours vs 8 hours is a heck of a large discrepancy.  And if you use less than 320kb/s that should increase battery life still further.

I have a 2000mAh battery, generic adapter and a Crucial M500 240GB mSATA drive which has a running time of more than 9h for the moments. This included some active switching, caption backlight was on (so the screens lights up for a few seconds every time a new song is being played) and it still has 14% charge left. Of course I'm not really sure how exact that last measurement is. If I'm not mistaken I think these TB drives consume more power than the smaller sizes which might explain the short running time. RB vs OF is also a factor of course...

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4,661 of 10,664
Hi DR408517,

Thanx

Well, I have unplugged the TeraPod from the computer while loading (oops). I have (on more than one occasion) reset the TeraPod while it was playing (don't ask). Last week, I plugged the TeraPod into the USB plug on the back of my seat on an airplane thinking I could recharge it. It is not for charging - it's for playing files from your ipod on the media center at your seat. Unplug it and...voila, sad face. I once turned the TeraPod off while it was playing. Sad face. I was selecting files once when the battery was almost fully drained. I selected song, TeraPod shut down, and this ended in sad face. I could go on. I know better, but it doesn't stop me.

I don't use the Apple OS, so I can only say what happens when you do this with RB. Could be different experience with different OS.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,662 of 10,664

When I first started using the TeraPod 5th Gen with the 2000 mAh battery, I was getting more than 10 hours of battery life- my best result was just over 12 hours of regular play. But over time this has dramatically decreased. Now I can drain a fully chaged TeraPod on a single fight from NYC to Zurich, which is about 7-8 hours. Disappointing.

I have been told the 5.5gen and 7gen are more efficient. I just put a 2000 mAh battery in my 5.5gen TeraPod, so I'll just have to test it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #4,663 of 10,664
Thank you Dr408517 for these explanations. I use Apple OS and I also got sad faces in some/same circumstances with a Samsung EVO840 1Tb . I Never had any issues with the same Ipod 7th gen with a Crucial M500 480Gb mSata card.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #4,664 of 10,664
When I first started using the TeraPod 5th Gen with the 2000 mAh battery, I was getting more than 10 hours of battery life- my best result was just over 12 hours of regular play. But over time this has dramatically decreased. Now I can drain a fully chaged TeraPod on a single fight from NYC to Zurich, which is about 7-8 hours. Disappointing.

I have been told the 5.5gen and 7gen are more efficient. I just put a 2000 mAh battery in my 5.5gen TeraPod, so I'll just have to test it.

I guess Tarkan was using a 7gen, and with everything at stock 5th gens had only 14 hour battery life while 7g had 36, so one would expect there still to be a signiifcant difference (though I'm not clear how much that difference was down to the motherboard circuitry and how much to the different hard drives - as only the former effect should still be relevant). 

All the same, for all models, in theory the reduced life due to the ssd power draw should be more than made up for by the far larger battery.  But possibly rockbox plus different volume/backlight etc would complicate that.

Edit - thanks for elucidating!

@frigomax
Have already been wondering if I should have ordered the Crucial (M550) rather than the Samsung.  Now you've added to my doubts!  On the other hand, I've seen others say the Samsung worked for them but the Crucial didn't!
There's an awful lot of trial-and-error about this process!

Haven't seen any experiences with the M550 in an ipod (rather than the M500) but all the benchmarks on-line say it uses significantly less power than the m500 so I'm thinking I should have tried it, if only to have some new data to contribute to the discussion!

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #4,665 of 10,664

I guess Tarkan was using a 7gen, and with everything at stock 5th gens had only 14 hour battery life while 7g had 36, so one would expect there still to be a signiifcant difference (though I'm not clear how much that difference was down to the motherboard circuitry and how much to the different hard drives - as only the former effect should still be relevant). 

All the same, for all models, in theory the reduced life due to the ssd power draw should be more than made up for by the far larger battery.  But possibly rockbox plus different volume/backlight etc would complicate that.

@frigomax
Have already been wondering if I should have ordered the Crucial (M550) rather than the Samsung.  Now you've added to my doubts!  On the other hand, I've seen others say the Samsung worked for them but the Crucial didn't!
There's an awful lot of trial-and-error about this process!

Haven't seen any experiences with the M550 in an ipod (rather than the M500) but all the benchmarks on-line say it uses significantly less power than the m500 so I'm thinking I should have tried it, if only to have some new data to contribute to the discussion!

I chose the Crucial over the Samsung for two reasons: price and stability. I've had two SSD's in my MacBook go unusable due to unexpected power loss. Since this is even more prone to happen in my iPod the protective capacitors of the M500 are nice to reassure my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back