Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #3,421 of 10,664
Where are you guys finding the Go-DAP GD-03 amazon don't seem to list it anymore. And as I read someone has done a non-Tarkan mSATA build with the 2000mAh bat in a 5.5 fatty? anyone have pics on this?

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #3,424 of 10,664
  Where are you guys finding the Go-DAP GD-03 amazon don't seem to list it anymore. And as I read someone has done a non-Tarkan mSATA build with the 2000mAh bat in a 5.5 fatty? anyone have pics on this?

https://whatimg.com/i/qdcGJB.jpg
https://whatimg.com/i/sMurZz.jpg
https://whatimg.com/i/MPWl3H.jpg
https://whatimg.com/i/uIra4a.jpg
https://whatimg.com/i/U3tDs0.jpg

The downside to this set up is that you have to be really careful not to drop it, there isn't much separating the ssd from the screen. I have had to replace the screen twice now: the first time was because I had something too thick (foam padding that came with the original hard drive) between the adapter and the screen, and just closing it shattered the screen. I didn't have this problem the second time, but I did drop it about 3.5 feet and it caused black lines to come across the screen when the backlight is on. It's not that big of a deal - screen are $15  w/shipping on Ebay. This is the 2000mAh battery. I get around 16h of battery life using RockBox.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #3,427 of 10,664
Sep 5, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #3,428 of 10,664
Hey guys, it's been a while and hope everyone is doing great.

I recently tried the Samsung 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW 1TB mSATA using the "green" adapter with success. So I am now a happy owner of the TeraDIYmod. The restore process went smooth as normal. I didn't need to format the drive (bought new from an eBay seller) and it took about 12 minutes to get to that "Welcome to Your New iPod" message during the restore. It was very warm (or hot per se) but no dive in battery power. I used a normal battery (non Miliamp).  This 1TB Samsung apparently performs much better than the 480GB Crucial in terms of power efficiency. BTW, my 1TB Samsung is rated 3.3V/1.9A.

This is the best I could have hoped for a DAP: 1TB storage, Rockboxed UI, and audio quality from the capless diymod. For the past a few months, I have been enjoying new collection of music (mostly whole images in lossless WAV format). So the 1TB drive is a big relief for a while going forward as I continue collecting the junk. :)  

Thanks again to Beyondwind for making this possible with the RB patch for msata. Also thanks to Dr. for confirming the workability of the Terapod. 

RB is just awesome. Most of my music is collected as images (WAV/FLAC/APE) with CUE files, but RB handles them like charm even for cue files with[size=12.7272720336914px] non English fonts.[/size]

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #3,430 of 10,664
  Hey guys, it's been a while and hope everyone is doing great.

I recently tried the Samsung 840 EVO MZ-MTE1T0BW 1TB mSATA using the "green" adapter with success. So I am now a happy owner of the TeraDIYmod. The restore process went smooth as normal. I didn't need to format the drive (bought new from an eBay seller) and it took about 12 minutes to get to that "Welcome to Your New iPod" message during the restore. It was very warm (or hot per se) but no dive in battery power. I used a normal battery (non Miliamp).  This 1TB Samsung apparently performs much better than the 480GB Crucial in terms of power efficiency. BTW, my 1TB Samsung is rated 3.3V/1.9A.

This is the best I could have hoped for a DAP: 1TB storage, Rockboxed UI, and audio quality from the capless diymod. For the past a few months, I have been enjoying new collection of music (mostly whole images in lossless WAV format). So the 1TB drive is a big relief for a while going forward as I continue collecting the junk. :)  

Thanks again to Beyondwind for making this possible with the RB patch for msata. Also thanks to Dr. for confirming the workability of the Terapod. 

RB is just awesome. Most of my music is collected as images (WAV/FLAC/APE) with CUE files, but RB handles them like charm even for cue files with[size=12.7272720336914px] non English fonts.[/size]

That is awesome, I wanna grab the 250gb evo i hear its better for power consumption you have great battery life but i like the tails of the 45hr battery life from the 2000mAh batt.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #3,431 of 10,664
  That is awesome, I wanna grab the 250gb evo i hear its better for power consumption you have great battery life but i like the tails of the 45hr battery life from the 2000mAh batt.

If you just want the 256GB,  MyDigitalSSD 256GB (240GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA  is a great choice. I have a pair of these and they are excellent. Very power efficient. Price is good at Amazon. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #3,433 of 10,664

unbelievable! 1TB ipod!!!
do you have any heat issue or battery life issue at all??
How long can you play music with it? and can you transfer files without a problem?
Lastly, is this a 5th gen or 6th gen?

It gets very warm during restore and copying files, but it seems just fine. Battery is pretty good with this 1TB drive, but I haven't tested the playing hrs for a full charge. So far, I transferred about 20GB's every time w/o issue. For the 256GB BP4, I used this adapter shown below to transfer files quickly (the drive was restored first and then taken out of ipod). I will try to do the same for this 1TB for file transfer.

The ipod is the 5th gen, and you can see it was DIY rewired. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #3,434 of 10,664

If you just want the 256GB,  MyDigitalSSD 256GB (240GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA  is a great choice. I have a pair of these and they are excellent. Very power efficient. Price is good at Amazon. 

intopieces was saying however that his unit (he has the bp4) only gets roughly 16 hours bat life makes me wonder really i need decent storage but long battery life. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back