Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,391 of 10,664

Sorry that was a typo, that's what happens when you post when you are sleepy. :)

All the iPod Classic are compatible with the PNY 256gb SDXC if your adapter has the CM01E6Q1.bin firmware.

I will correct my previous post.

Let me clarify:

I have tested all them of with a 480gb Crucial mSATA card, the Tarkan iFlash-msata adapter (IPod Classic) or the eBay cheap green adapter (30gb, 60gb, 80 iPod Video)

LBA48 enabled iPods:

Classic Slim 80gb
Classic Slim 120gb
Classic Fat 160gb

iPods that natively can recognize cards bigger that 127.7gb are:

Video 30gb 
Video 60gb
Enhanced Video 30gb
Enhanced Video 80gb

I hope it is less confusing now.

I know what you mean, I was tired just reading it!

The Classic Slim 80Gb is not compatible even using the Tarkan firmware, according to my recent conversation with him. That is why I gave up on it and put a 128GB SDXC card into my "original/early" 6th Gen. Classic (slim) and called it a day.

I was unable to get that firmware to flash to the CF-SD adapter, but Tarkan tested it and it did not work, using the PNY 256Gb SDXC.

Were you able to get that combination to work and not corrupt past 127.7 GB written?

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,392 of 10,664

Are you sure the iPod's ZIF ribbon cable is carefully and fully seated into the iFlash before locking it down?

Which CF - SD adapter are you using, Tarkan's? If not you may want to check and be sure it is SDXC compatible, some are only 64GB (SDHC) compatible.

Yes I have the Tarkan adapter.

Yes I have checked the ribbon cable today and it seems to be normal.
I have put all the ribbon cables very carefully in the connectors and tried it several times... so I don't think there is the issue. But I don't know for sure.. are there more ways to check that?

@ yacobx:

Yes, I have formatted the card exactly according to the manual on the website from Tarken with AOMEI Partition manager.

Today I have tried more things:
- another SD card, same problems
- a CF card, so no adaper to SD anymore. This gave me more signs of life and I was able to restore the Ipod completely with Itunes.
But then it came in an infinite loop:

So Itunes is restoring it, Ipod is restarting... and again the Error that I need to restore the Ipod with Itunes... and so on.

Does someone have a clue what to do? (tarkan is still on holliday so no answers from him yet...)

I have read some things about 'put the Ipod in disk mode'... what does that mean? And how can I do that?

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #3,393 of 10,664

Yes I have the Tarkan adapter.

Yes I have checked the ribbon cable today and it seems to be normal.
I have put all the ribbon cables very carefully in the connectors and tried it several times... so I don't think there is the issue. But I don't know for sure.. are there more ways to check that?

@ yacobx:

Yes, I have formatted the card exactly according to the manual on the website from Tarken with AOMEI Partition manager.

Today I have tried more things:
- another SD card, same problems
- a CF card, so no adaper to SD anymore. This gave me more signs of life and I was able to restore the Ipod completely with Itunes.
But then it came in an infinite loop:

So Itunes is restoring it, Ipod is restarting... and again the Error that I need to restore the Ipod with Itunes... and so on.

Does someone have a clue what to do? (tarkan is still on holliday so no answers from him yet...)

I have read some things about 'put the Ipod in disk mode'... what does that mean? And how can I do that?

Maybe you damaged the hard drive flex cable?? also, go to youtube and search iPod disk mode.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #3,395 of 10,664
cmarti or anyone else who can verify that this is the correct card I would need to order for my 5.5 gen 30gb ipod video

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-256GB-Elite-Performance-P-SDX256U1H-GE/dp/B00FF90EZM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #3,396 of 10,664
http://imgur.com/HQz4EgR

Hey guys, this is my progress so far ^ (it wont let me post an image directly for some reason) I was wondering if the 7th Gen iPod classic has a mSATA SSD capacity limitation? Also will the original apple firmware work or do you need rockbox? I picked up a 7th Gen 160gb iPod Classic with a broken hard drive for cheap and I bought a ZIF to mSATA adapter. Has anybody been successful with the 7th Gen iPod classic with this adapter so far? I haven't ordered my mSATA SSD yet as I need to make sure I get one that's compatible, would this one work? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT240M500SSD3-Internal-including-Screws/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408092366&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+msata

Thanks in advance for the feedback 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #3,397 of 10,664
   Maybe you damaged the hard drive flex cable?? also, go to youtube and search iPod disk mode.

I have double checked it again today. Kept a the flex cables in the sunlight but saw nothing strange.

Today I have connected the Ipod the old way again with the HDD 30gb drive... and everything was still working so that makes to problem even stranger...

Maybe someone with a clue?

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,398 of 10,664
  I know what you mean, I was tired just reading it!

The Classic Slim 80Gb is not compatible even using the Tarkan firmware, according to my recent conversation with him. That is why I gave up on it and put a 128GB SDXC card into my "original/early" 6th Gen. Classic (slim) and called it a day.

I was unable to get that firmware to flash to the CF-SD adapter, but Tarkan tested it and it did not work, using the PNY 256Gb SDXC.

Were you able to get that combination to work and not corrupt past 127.7 GB written?

I only own the Lexar card. Some other people have used successfully the PNY card, but I wonder now if it was in the 5Th gen iPod? I don't own a PNY and don't think I will as I am already happy with the 512GB mSATA iPod.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,399 of 10,664
  http://imgur.com/HQz4EgR

Hey guys, this is my progress so far ^ (it wont let me post an image directly for some reason) I was wondering if the 7th Gen iPod classic has a mSATA SSD capacity limitation? Also will the original apple firmware work or do you need rockbox? I picked up a 7th Gen 160gb iPod Classic with a broken hard drive for cheap and I bought a ZIF to mSATA adapter. Has anybody been successful with the 7th Gen iPod classic with this adapter so far? I haven't ordered my mSATA SSD yet as I need to make sure I get one that's compatible, would this one work? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT240M500SSD3-Internal-including-Screws/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408092366&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+msata

Thanks in advance for the feedback 
darthsmile.gif

I have only used successfully a 512gb Samsung card, but you need a different adapter. You must wait until Tarkan releases his adapter which is the same one I am using.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3,401 of 10,664
  Ah, that's unfortunate. Is there a specific reason for the adapter not working? Would it make any difference if I were to run rockbox instead of the stock apple firmware?

First you need to install the OF Apple firmware to install RockBox and all you will get is a RED X with that adapter. Not sure why it doesn't work but it simply doesn't. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,402 of 10,664
Thanks for the reply 
size]

Is Tarkan planning to release it any time soon? I am going in holidays in a month so I'd love to have the iPod ready by then. Also, I was just wondering if the 160GB  MK1626GCB  is compatible with the 7th Gen iPod classic? The faulty hard drive that I removed is a 160GB MK1634GAL.The  MK1626GCB is 20$ cheaper than the MK1634GAL
Thanks again for answering my questions, I really wish I had discovered this thread before I tried this on my own
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3,404 of 10,664
Thanks for the reply :p  

Is Tarkan planning to release it any time soon? I am going in holidays in a month so I'd love to have the iPod ready by then. Also, I was just wondering if the 160GB  [COLOR=333333]MK1626GCB  [/COLOR]is compatible with the 7th Gen iPod classic? The faulty hard drive that I removed is a 160GB [COLOR=333333]MK1634GAL.[/COLOR]The  [COLOR=333333]MK1626GCB [/COLOR]is 20$ cheaper than the [COLOR=333333]MK1634GAL[/COLOR][COLOR=333333][/COLOR]
Thanks again for answering my questions, I really wish I had discovered this thread before I tried this on my own :)  

That drive might be cheaper but it will not work in your iPod, it utilizes a CE-ATA Interface and your iPod has a ZIF interface.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #3,405 of 10,664
About an hour ago I was listening to my (rockbox) ipod video it just stopped and wouldn't reboot. After further inspection I could hear the hardrive spinning still inside, also around the location of the battery I could feel quite an amount of warmth coming through the casing. As a last resort I opened it up and disconnected the battery - connected it back up, the player booted again and appears to be running fine.

Anyone heard of this before or know the possible cause?

It appears to have gone through quite a bit of battery power while the drive was spinning. Mainly, I want to know why, because it's kind of made me lose faith in the player, might do It again when I can't open it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back