Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #3,406 of 10,664
About an hour ago I was listening to my (rockbox) ipod video it just stopped and wouldn't reboot. After further inspection I could hear the hardrive spinning still inside, also around the location of the battery I could feel quite an amount of warmth coming through the casing. As a last resort I opened it up and disconnected the battery - connected it back up, the player booted again and appears to be running fine.

Anyone heard of this before or know the possible cause?

It appears to have gone through quite a bit of battery power while the drive was spinning. Mainly, I want to know why, because it's kind of made me lose faith in the player, might do It again when I can't open it.

Check the hard drive for sector errors, it's always a possibility that the drive might be failing.

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #3,407 of 10,664
The the hard drive for sector errors, it's always a possibility that the drive might be failing.

Yes, I'm not sure why, no button combinations would bring it back to life.

Only way seemed to be be opening the casing and reconnecting the battery.. Computer didn't see it neither.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,408 of 10,664

Its been over a month. BP4 - 240 GB and OEM replacement batteries are rock solid.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,409 of 10,664
Nice!

I was just wondering, what would people call a fair price to buy a pre built and tested 256 gig ssd model (in the uk)?  I've seen a couple but wasn't sure how much the going rate was.  I've looked at the so called "boutique" players and they all seem a bit of a faff to get working correctly for some reason or another and not really been sold on any of them (I nearly pulled the trigger on an ibasso dx50 this morning, but something held me back). I'm trying to balance the cost between the ease of buying already prebuilt vs diy.  I don't mind the person making a bit of a profit (that's why they do it after all!) but I don't want to get ripped off either.  I'm fairly confident that I could do the build myself but decent 5th gen ipods start around the £60 mark for a 30 gig.

Thanks

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #3,410 of 10,664
  Nice!

I was just wondering, what would people call a fair price to buy a pre built and tested 256 gig ssd model (in the uk)?  I've seen a couple but wasn't sure how much the going rate was.  I've looked at the so called "boutique" players and they all seem a bit of a faff to get working correctly for some reason or another and not really been sold on any of them (I nearly pulled the trigger on an ibasso dx50 this morning, but something held me back). I'm trying to balance the cost between the ease of buying already prebuilt vs diy.  I don't mind the person making a bit of a profit (that's why they do it after all!) but I don't want to get ripped off either.  I'm fairly confident that I could do the build myself but decent 5th gen ipods start around the £60 mark for a 30 gig.

Thanks

DIY will save you a lot of money. Get the 5.5 gen, look for listings with failing HDD/Batteries.
The one pictured above was $20 after bidding (left channel dead on headphone jack). 

Shells cost me $18
replacement headphone jack - $3
480 mAh OEM replacement battery - $4
BP4 SSD - $109
mSATA-ZIF Adapter - $8

The cheapest prebuilt 240GB ipods are going for atleast $350.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,412 of 10,664
http://www.headfonia.com/back-to-the-future-friday-ipod-5g-ipod-video/

Fun read of a modders favourite.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #3,413 of 10,664
Is there anywhere I could get a custom faceplate for my 5.5g, or would I have to buy a new one and get it painted? All I can find is colorware which is very expensive and doesn't do anything before 6th gen now

edit: after some digging, looks like the best way to do what I want is to get 6g housing with the aluminum faceplate and reanodize or powder coat it

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #3,414 of 10,664
btym, I think this may help (I’m not affiliated with the seller)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301097393873?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #3,415 of 10,664
Slight aside but has anyone tried the newer dual microsdxc compact flash adapters that have surfaced either in the mini or in the classic?  With the prices of sdxc cards dropping finally it might be worth experimenting on. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #3,416 of 10,664
Yeah, there are a lot of solid-color ones but I'd like to put a floral pattern on my ipod because that'd look tight, and I really want it to be flush with the surface of the ipod. Anodizing is pretty expensive for a one-off but I'm going to ask around about anodizing and powder coating and see if I can get it done for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back