Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3,031 of 10,664
welp I've been searching this forum.. and elsewhere..  nada.

wondering....

I've got an old Ipod Classic 6th Gen "thick" dual platter ipod with a clicking HD..

I understand this temp version of the 160GB has a smaller HD connection..
What SSD would be compatible?  in the 250GB range?
would using this ribbon cable work?
http://www.gadgetmenders.com/Hard_Drive_Cable_For_iPod_Classic.html
any help is appreciated!!

Jon

May 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #3,032 of 10,664
cmarti,
Samsung EVO SSD does not work in 5.5 gen with any adapter, even with your two eBay adapters that worked for Crucial SSD? Even with BeyoundWind's Rockbox patch?

That is surprising. I thought the Samsung EVO SSDs have hardware/firmware similar to Crucial SSDs, while being more power efficient? Maybe Samsung tweaked something at firmware level to save power, but messed up compatability?

May 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3,033 of 10,664
cmarti,
Samsung EVO SSD does not work in 5.5 gen with any adapter, even with your two eBay adapters that worked for Crucial SSD? Even with BeyoundWind's Rockbox patch?

That is surprising. I thought the Samsung EVO SSDs have hardware/firmware similar to Crucial SSDs, while being more power efficient? Maybe Samsung tweaked something at firmware level to save power, but messed up compatability?

Not able to install the patch because I can't even restore the iPod, tried two eBay adapters and the iFlash-Sata from Tarkan. Three different iPods, two Video and one Classic.

I am totally bummed right now... Good thing is I bought it from Amazon.

May 29, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3,034 of 10,664
  welp I've been searching this forum.. and elsewhere..  nada.

wondering....

I've got an old Ipod Classic 6th Gen "thick" dual platter ipod with a clicking HD..

I understand this temp version of the 160GB has a smaller HD connection..
What SSD would be compatible?  in the 250GB range?
would using this ribbon cable work?
http://www.gadgetmenders.com/Hard_Drive_Cable_For_iPod_Classic.html
any help is appreciated!!

Jon

You can use that ribbon and install a CF to ZIF adapter and either use CF cards or a cheaper option which is SD card (No 256gb ones) with SD to CF adapter. Guaranteed to work. 

May 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3,037 of 10,664
Not able to install the patch because I can't even restore the iPod, tried two eBay adapters and the iFlash-Sata from Tarkan. Three different iPods, two Video and one Classic.

I am totally bummed right now... Good thing is I bought it from Amazon.

cmarti,

Is it possible that you received a lemon? Did you check  the SSD on computer?

dr408517 has had two "Terapods" running just fine for a good while. Those Terapods were built using Samsung EVO 1TB mSATA SSD. Since 1TB version of that model works in iPod, one would think that the 500GB version would work as well. 

Maybe you can get some kind help from dr408517?

May 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,038 of 10,664
cmarti,

Is it possible that you received a lemon? Did you check  the SSD on computer?

dr408517 has had two "Terapods" running just fine for a good while. Those Terapods were built using Samsung EVO 1TB mSATA SSD. Since 1TB version of that model works in iPod, one would think that the 500GB version would work as well. 

Maybe you can get some kind help from dr408517?

Me not liking to be defeated ordered the 1tb card used for these iPods and will be here tomorrow.

I will probably just return the 500gb one, the ultimate goal is to have a 1tb iPod Classic.

P.S. I messaged dr last night. XD

May 31, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #3,039 of 10,664
Grrr. I have a 4th generation monochrome iPod that I did the SD card swap on a year ago right before going on a deployment. Well my wife didn't realize it still worked and let my toddler play with it all while I was gone. Anyway when I got home the battery didn't seem to hold a charge. Thought the battery was dead. So I swapped it. Same thing, new battery wouldn't charge. So now I figured it was a motherboard issue. I swapped the motherboard and it doesn't power on when plugged in. I figured my on drooled in the iPod causing the motherboard to short.

Any suggestions? I was really banking on the motherboard fixing the issue. But no change. Is there anything else I should look at? The screen, and casing to this 4th gen iPod are in mint condition. I've had it since 2004 or 2005 so I'd like to keep it going.

Any ideas?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

May 31, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #3,041 of 10,664
OK, folks -- I did a search on head-fi for this issue and came up empty.   Any pointers to it here, if they exist, would be great…

For those of you who have an iPod Video 5th Gen, AND you use Rockbox, there is an issue with persistent low-level sounds in the right channel in Rockbox.

I have confirmed the problem occurs on both the headphone out and the line out.   It happens on my iPod Video 5.5G (originally 30GB) and not on my iPod Mini.  Both have SSD memory in place of drives in them, and I did some diagnostics on the iPod Video just to be sure (swapped out the CF-to-SD card with a smaller CF-only card, and changed line out cables, to name two).  I had never heard of this issue before, and I thought it might be due to the Tarkan board in the iPod Video.  But a little bit of internet search turned up this:

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/4937

The description of the problem is exactly what I am hearing.  The rate is about twice a second, which fits the battery check rate.  It is a persistent bug and not likely to be fixed.   It appears to be isolated to the iPod Video model as it is not there with the iPod Mini OR the iPod Nano 1G, both of which I have and have Rockboxed, and I don't see reports of it on later iPods.  It is not on the Known Issues list:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodStatus

Now, the GOOD news is that it is very very low level.  In order to hear it reliably, I have to amp it with a high-gain amp (E12) and turn the amp all the way up.  This would make the sound of a normal song deafening.  I don't listen to music this way, and I doubt you do either.  In fact, one might argue that it is so low level as to be a non-issue for almost all of you.  

And of course, it is not there with the stock OS.  

For those who have a iPod Video 5th gen that is already running Rockbox, could you test to see if your has this issue?  Please be careful with your ears -- you don't need to listen to any file to hear it, just turn up the volume and use sensitive headphones.

May 31, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #3,042 of 10,664

For those who have a iPod Video 5th gen that is already running Rockbox, could you test to see if your has this issue?  Please be careful with your ears -- you don't need to listen to any file to hear it, just turn up the volume and use sensitive headphones.

Can't hear anything on my 480gb capless iPod video.

May 31, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,045 of 10,664
jazzman7,

I have heard that low level noise before (from quiet music recorded using iPod 5.5 gen). But most people with most kinds of earphones / music / listening volume should not hear it. As it is, as you said, very very low in level. I personally don't consider it an issue.

I read somewhere that it could be CPU noise, though I might remember it wrong. I also read that stock Apple OS spreads out the noise evenly so that you won't hear it, but Rockbox probably concentrates those noises and makes them more audible. I cannot find the original reference though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back