Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #2,327 of 10,664
  The rig at the moment in the office.

Sometimes I am wondering why I am wasting so much time hanging around at HF for what. I mean these DMod's have everything I need or have hoped for or even have exceeded my expectations. :)

Honestly I had never expected the in-ear music could sound this good. The only thing I wish to have now is a 512GB CF rockboxed DMod.
wink.gif

Hi! Just want to ask what wires do you use in modding your ipod? And what amps is that you are using? Thanks

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,330 of 10,664
Hey noobzpro,

I would highly recommend the Tarkan SD card route over getting a SSD. Benefits are you can reuse any existing SD cards in your cameras etc. once you've finished with your ipod video. Although I will try and keep mine forever if I can. It cost me £18 for the Tarkan SD card adapter, and bought Kingston 64GB for £63 here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0090J5XLS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. That SD card has already reduced in price to £57, so think SD storage is better value, and is probably lighter and more economical than an SSD anyways.

I have rockboxed my ipod video 5.5g and sounds brilliant with LOD to my Fiio Andes E07K. I'm already thinking of getting a used Ipod Classic 6g and upgrade that using Tarkan SD adapter too.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,331 of 10,664
  I tried both regular hook up wires and also silver wires. The silver wires are 30 awg's from Homegrown Audio and Tempo Electric.

The amp is what's shown in the pic, the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.

Hmmm in both wires, what do you prefer?  Silver wires or the other one? By the way are you referring to copper wire (regular hook up wires)? 

Im new in DYIng, and just want to gain some info on what wires should be use and stuff.

Hope you can help me...

THANKS MATE!

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,332 of 10,664

Hmmm in both wires, what do you prefer?  Silver wires or the other one? By the way are you referring to copper wire (regular hook up wires)? 

Im new in DYIng, and just want to gain some info on what wires should be use and stuff.

Hope you can help me...

THANKS MATE!

I would say the silver wires sound slightly cleaner and brighter than the regular hook up wires (copper). It comes down to your preference. I wouldn't be too concerned about the wires used inside ipod. However, I would focus more on the wires used for the LOD.

No problem. I started from knowing nothing about diy and then with help from this site and fellow head-fi'ers I took some baby steps and then kept going. Trust me the fun from diy is really worth it, and for me personally I begin to understand a little bit about audio.

If you are not aware, here is the DIYmod thread.

Good luck and have fun.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #2,333 of 10,664

I would say the silver wires sound slightly cleaner and brighter than the regular hook up wires (copper). It comes down to your preference. I wouldn't be too concerned about the wires used inside ipod. However, I would focus more on the wires used for the LOD.

No problem. I started from knowing nothing about diy and then with help from this site and fellow head-fi'ers I took some baby steps and then kept going. Trust me the fun from diy is really worth it, and for me personally I begin to understand a little bit about audio.

If you are not aware, here is the DIYmod thread.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks man! BTW, about the LOD, iMod uses w/ cap LOD right? And whats the best wire to be use? Is it pure silvers or the silver with a % gold?

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2,334 of 10,664

Thanks man! BTW, about the LOD, iMod uses w/ cap LOD right? And whats the best wire to be use? Is it pure silvers or the silver with a % gold?

It's my understanding RWA put caps in the LOD.

I have tried many different wires for LOD's and my top 2 wires:

#1 Homegrown Audio pure silver (22 awg solid core) with cotton dielectric
#2 Toxic Cables Silver Poison (silver plus some gold)

The Silver Poison has more tightened bass but with less sound stage than #1. I switch between both all the time.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #2,335 of 10,664

It's my understanding RWA put caps in the LOD.

I have tried many different wires for LOD's and my top 2 wires:

#1 Homegrown Audio pure silver (22 awg solid core) with cotton dielectric
#2 Toxic Cables Silver Poison (silver plus some gold)

The Silver Poison has more tightened bass but with less sound stage than #1. I switch between both all the time.

THANKS man! Will gonna try those cables when im done on the modding..  Ill be using crystal silver wires as been said to me..

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,339 of 10,664
Have not tried Rockbox yet. Downloaded it today.

Today I learned Rockbox will not work with my Crucial 446gb mSata v5.5. IPod reports ata error. Apparently this is a known issue for mSata.

The Tarkan+Lexar 256gb Sd v7 locked up at 29249 songs and would not restore. This is the fewest number of songs loaded before a lock up, and since I coded this entire test library to 128.mp3 files, it suggests the instability issue is not related to the number of songs or the gb loaded. I am beginning to wonder if i have a bad Lexar card. Oh this is painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back