Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,937 of 10,664
  Can somebody please try to see if any CF 256 GB will work in the ipod mini? That will be awesome, just tried Rockbox and works even on docking stations, all those FLAC files sound really good.

Sorry dude I won't be able to test it for you as I don't have a mini. With my 256GB CF fully loaded & rockboxed for ipod video, I don't think I will be able to try it on another ipod version without reformatting the CF card.

Just curious, you have all the hi-end daps and how do you compare your rockboxed mini sound to those? Too bad, the mini can't be modded like the ipod video to bypass the internal amp. That would get the best sound out of that ipod. Still a 256GB CF mini sounds very attractive. :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,938 of 10,664
With so many DMod's, I have decided to award this one with my 256GB CF card. It matches the amp wallet better than the others. I am looking to outsource in China for a couple of custom made amp wallets. The ones I have now look really boring, altho they are practical for carrying the gear for portability.

Man these DMod's sound amazing and fantastic with the kicking-ass "green" caps linking the dac and those tiny pins. :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,939 of 10,664
Mini is not even half of the Tera Player but better and louder then clip.. But mini is wonderful. Waiting for a website to post how to add capacitors to a cf nodded mini.
I don't see why not mini won't work with 256gb cards.
Also will be amazing if I can buy a clear plastic shell for mini to see all the internals. Can anybody make one?
Can anybody help?

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,941 of 10,664
  Can you please tell me what battery life do you get with the CF vs SD to CF adapter..I have the mini 2 gen and a sdxc class 10 and a SD to CF adaptor class 4 and a new battery 1500 mha and battery life is that long.
Please tell me how it works for you..Heard that CF sounds better then adaptors, true?

The battery life was maybe six hours when using the SD card, with the CF I get maybe 10 hours.

Edit: can't comment is it sounds better with the CF card, I didn't use it long enough when it had the SD card.

Edit: corrected the last sentence.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,942 of 10,664
I never intentionally compared the sound difference from the headphone jack between the CF and the SDXC. My surprise came when I was switching from a 32GB CF to a 128GB SDXC on one of my DMod's. I immediately noticed the SDXC didn't sound on par with the CF. The SDXC sounded less dynamic with smaller sound stage. From that moment, it stuck in my mind the CF is better.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,943 of 10,664
Just rockboxed my iPod video 5.5 today and I can definitely see why upgrading to an SSD is a priority.  Can't even get smooth playback using it.  Even the OF (original firmware) on the iPod is alot faster than RB.  Anyone else encounter this?

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,945 of 10,664
Anyone know if 256 GB cf will work in the iPod mini?

I ordered last week the same Wellcore 256gb that Dminor is using in his iPod Video, I will try the card in my iPod Mini and will replace the battery once it get here. (Maybe two weeks?)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit. The battery I ordered for the iPod Mini is this one:  http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BIPOD650MM/

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,946 of 10,664
I think I will give this one a try for my ipod video.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BIPOD850C160/

Actually I am satisfied with the battery performance for all the ipods in my possession, even tho I play only flac's using rockbox. I have no idea how old those batteries are since most of them all came with the ipods when I bought. I suspect the bypass mod may have actually helped to improve the power efficiency. Also with these high-capacitance caps, they seem improving battery performance with my imaginary "self charging". :)

If I just keep listening to my music without frequently activating the LCD, all these battery should easily last for 15 hrs between charges. My problem is I like to browser my folders and switch albums or tracks all the time. Damn bad habit, especially with this mega 256GB CF.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,947 of 10,664
  I ordered last week the same Wellcore 256gb that Dminor is using in his iPod Video, I will try the card in my iPod Mini and will replace the battery once it get here. (Maybe two weeks?)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit. The battery I ordered for the iPod Mini is this one:  http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BIPOD650MM/

I'd be interested in how it goes.  Already got the ipod mini.  Hopefully you won't get held up by chinese new year :)

Actually I am satisfied with the battery performance for all the ipods in my possession, even tho I play only flac's using rockbox. I have no idea how old those batteries are since most of them all came with the ipods when I bought. I suspect the bypass mod may have actually helped to improve the power efficiency. Also with these high-capacitance caps, they seem improving battery performance with my imaginary "self charging". :)

If I just keep listening to my music without frequently activating the LCD, all these battery should easily last for 15 hrs between charges. My problem is I like to browser my folders and switch albums or tracks all the time. Damn bad habit, especially with this mega 256GB CF.
wink.gif

I'm more an albums and audiobook kind of guy.  Once I choose what I want to listen to that's it till the end. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,948 of 10,664

If I just keep listening to my music without frequently activating the LCD, all these battery should easily last for 15 hrs between charges. My problem is I like to browser my folders and switch albums or tracks all the time. Damn bad habit, especially with this mega 256GB CF. :wink:  
I was going to order it too but they changed vendors and the one pictored now looks exaclt the same as ones forund on eBay. Last week that batery was out of stock anod now it's back but I think they changed the supplier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back