Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,846 of 10,664
  Dropped more than 230GB's to the CF card (less than 5GB free now) and the iPod remains very responsive with no signs of slowing down or being sluggish. In fact, this may be the most responsive one of all the ipods in my possessions. Very impressed by the card's performance so far.

Now I need to have someone make a custom amp wallet made of quality leather. The gears deserve something not just practical but also stylish. :)

What version iPod do you currently have? It sounds like CF may be the way to go instead of SD or MicroSD then.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,848 of 10,664
Order one of those for parts iPods on eBay and after finding out the hold button switch was broken meaning that the switch was stuck on hold and fixing the issue. I get the error 69 issue where the ipod won't transfer anymore songs after a set amount of transfers and after many restores. I am thinking it is a hard drive issue and wondering if anyone has a spare 30gb hard drive lying around that they are not using and willing to let it go for cheap in the mean time.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,850 of 10,664

What's the speed like with the normal firmware?

With the normal Apple firmware, my ipod with 128GB SD card is quick.  I never really have to wait for a song to cue up, maybe half a second, but its quick.  Even if I have it set to shuffle and fast forward through 30 songs, it still cues up quick with no lag. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,855 of 10,664
  I mean from this 4 gb lifeless:

to this 128 gb Rockbox solid state :)
   long live Rockbox.:)

I have one like yours, 2nd gen iPod Mini.

It is so light and sounds so nice.

I always have a hard time deciding which DAP to take with me on trips, the 256gb iPod video, the 128gb iPod mini or the 7th gen iPod Classic.

I've got a silver 2gen mini that I picked up from amazon uk for something like £30.00.  Looks virtually new.  I'm just pondering if I should attempt to try the 256 card out in it or not (if I decide to get it!).  £300 or so does is rather a lot just for a card, but when you see what the newer "high end" mp3 players cost and the problems with firmware and interface it does seem like a no brainer.  It would be nice to carry around my collection of audiobooks and music on just the one device!

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,856 of 10,664

I've got a silver 2gen mini that I picked up from amazon uk for something like £30.00.  Looks virtually new.  I'm just pondering if I should attempt to try the 256 card out in it or not (if I decide to get it!).  £300 or so does is rather a lot just for a card, but when you see what the newer "high end" mp3 players cost and the problems with firmware and interface it does seem like a no brainer.  It would be nice to carry around my collection of audiobooks and music on just the one device!

I would recommend using the CF cards for the following reasons:

1. more sturdy and durable than SD. SD could easily break if mishandled.
2. More bandwidth than SD with more pins. In theory it writes/reads faster.
3. More power efficient because of 2 and also you don't need another adapter (SD-CF)
4. The CF sounds better than SD (to my ears)

Funny those "high-end" daps use the lowly SD's. Two reasons: 1. main reason it's cheap meaning more profit; 2. smaller physical size

One thing I like these mods is, once you restore a CF card you can switch from one ipod to another at your disposal without doing any reconfigurations. So if one ipod is dead, just take out the CF and adapter and throw them into another good ipod.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,857 of 10,664
So, without sifting through some of the old suggestions at the beginning and everything, what are some good options for a 6G Fat iPod Classic? Anything will do, my 160 stock drive is very noisy and old and slow with rockbox. CF or SSD? Any good options for a massive standard HDD? 

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,858 of 10,664
Here's been my upgrade experience
(With a little bit of background info. You can skip to the dotted lines to see where I got my upgrade for a fraction of what's on eBay or RapidRepair. Sorry to repeat or state the obvious on any of this info. )

Background

While SSD (flash memory) is the way to go when using a portable devices, costs are too impractical for large drives (160GB+) and probably will be for another 2 or 3 years as NAND memory production is not becoming cheaper to produce in large capacities at a comparable pace to other tech. So an HDD is probably still the way to go at the moment if you don't feel like breaking the bank and you're looking to replace a 160 GB iPod.

To my knowledge, when you put a new (potentially upgraded) HDD into your iPod, the firmware (the iPod OS) has to support the new hardware. 

The iPod classic/video firmware that downloads through iTunes, I believe, only supports Toshiba 1.8" PATA/ZIF drives. And so there's a very particular range of hard drives that can be used.

Furthermore, I believe that only certain iPods have default firmware that can use the full 240GB you'd be looking to upgrade to.
The 5.0 & 5.5 Gen iPod videos, and the 7th Gen 160 GB iPod Classic (the thin model). If you use a 7th gen iPod, you have to buy a new backplate, as the new 240 gb HDD is a bit thicker. 

If you look on eBay, everyone that does the 240gb upgrade uses the harddrive:
MK2431GAH

Which are not cheap because they are bought up by iPod upgraders en masse. I tend to see them run for around $180. I believe that if you're using the default iPod firmware that you actually have to use this hard drive, as it's the only 1.8" 240 gb Toshiba ATA drive. (It's also the same HDD they use in the Macbook Air.)

If you have the thick 160 GB iPod classic (6th gen), then you may have to change the firmware to Rockbox, in which case, you may be able to go with a cheaper 240 GB 1.8" HDD. Or find a way to get the 7th gen firmware.

Note, that the size limitations of an iPod may not come down to the firmware, but also to the internal RAM and other specs, as the device simply may not be able to access the entire available filesystem, and may have to create some smaller partition on the device that it can handle. 

---------- Where I Got Mine ----------

I had a 7th gen 160 iPod classic (Thin model) and found the MK2431GAH for around $180. If you search around you can maybe find a better deal, especially after the holidays.
On the Apple forums, I found out about an eBay user, arturoroars7, who runs a computer repair store in Colorado that also fixes/upgrades iPods. 

All I had to do was ship him the iPod, new hard drive (had it shipped to him directly), and pay for the return shipping and labor costs.
Arturo was extremely professional. 

He even sold and installed for me a brand new faceplate, 850 mAh battery, and a 240 gb inscribed backplate that he had on stock. He also matched the lowest prices I could find on eBay for the cheapest Chinese equivalent parts, but instead gave me an Apple
OEM original faceplate and apple-quality backplate!

He filled my order during the middle of the holiday season, and had my iPod upgraded within 2 days of receiving and mailed it right back out. 

He worked with me the whole time, even when the original company I ordered my hard drive from (Aztekcomputers) sent him the wrong hard drive. He even took the time to return to it them himself so I could process my refund and order the HDD from a different vendor. 

The job was done impeccably, and it looks as though I have a factory-new 240 gb iPod classic. I also couldn't find anyone on eBay with better labor prices.

If you don't have an iPod that can just take the 240 GB hard drive, you'll probably have to use Rockbox, and your hard drive options will also be better. Arturo should be able to suggest your best options and pricing for hard drives. The main limit will be the connection type and form factor, as the HDD has to physically fit into the back casing. 

Just message him on eBay and ask him about his pricing and what parts he has available, and you should be able to get the ball rolling.

Again, his member id is arturoroars7 

Happy Upgrading!

(Once I get approved, I'll post pics of the job.)

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,859 of 10,664
  So, without sifting through some of the old suggestions at the beginning and everything, what are some good options for a 6G Fat iPod Classic? Anything will do, my 160 stock drive is very noisy and old and slow with rockbox. CF or SSD? Any good options for a massive standard HDD? 

How much of storage capacity you want to upgrade to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back