Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #7,711 of 10,664
Looks like my msata card has been corrupted somehow.  Need to get an enclosure to format it.  Any particular recommendations on amazon uk?  Thanks.

May 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #7,712 of 10,664

In the corner you can see a battery connector with and without the clip (not the same motherboard though)

If your problem is only that the connector came off but the pins did not you can re-insert it, use some tweezers and make sure it is positioned the same way it was, then you can use a litle bit of glue and glue the edges (the one that doest have pins) to the mother board, so it doest come off again.

May 3, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #7,714 of 10,664

Same here. Ordered 2 batteries from him a while ago and never got them. No replies to emails.

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat, but relieved it isn't just me.

I'd suggest just biting the bullet and ordering one from China on Ebay.  It will take a while, but I think its the only way. 

If Alex Cheung has become unreliable for you (if that's the ebay seller I think it is, I'm sure I've ordered several from him in the past with no problems at all) you could just order one of the others. e.g. the 1900mah one, or the 3000mah one, I got one of the latter and it does, to my huge surprise, appear to be slightly physically larger than the 1900 one so could actually be a slightly higher capacity, though possibly not 3000mah...I had assumed it would just be the exact same one as the 1900mah with a bigger number on it, but it seemed to be a tiny bit wider)

Thanks for this. Yes, Alex Cheung is the ebay seller of the 2000mAh who is consistently referred to throughout this thread. It appears he used to be reliable. Apparently not so much any more. Did the 3000mAh work out okay for you? Fits okay, performs okay etc.? Could I trouble you for a link?

I bought a 2000 mAh (not from that seller you mention , he didn´t ship to my country I could´t get him to change his mind) and its pretty bad. The 1900mAh battery I mentioned above is a blast, though.

Thanks. Will give this a shot if the 3000mAh doesn't work out for some reason.

May 4, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #7,720 of 10,664
Hey all of you successful modders,

I have one 5.5 ipod Video where I was able to install the 1TB mSata - and after that the ipod was working.
On top I put a 2000 mAh battery in there.
Since I haven't used the ipod in a while, the ipod now will show me the icon with the "sad face" and the "exclamaiton point".

Even though my 500GB 7th gen ipod hasn't been used in a longer period, that battery -it's the original battry- is still more than 3/4 full.

What can I do to solve the problem with my 5.5 ipod video?

I connected it already to a wall plug, but only the USB version and it told me the battery is low, but never seemed to start charging.
Should I connect it to the firewire/usb lead and put the usb part in another wall plug?
What I mean is  firewire plug is in a wall plug and the usb charger is in another wall plug?

I hope I do not have to do the restore process, because I am really afraid to do that.
I was soooooo unlucky when it came to my tries to put a 1TB 7th gen ipod together....... the modification never worked with any of my laptops.
Only the 5.5 seemed to work.

Greets,
JULIA

May 5, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #7,722 of 10,664
  could be its not charging because its showing the sad face.  Try getting it in disk mode and see it it shows charging.

Helo rgarjr,

well, thanks for the hint, but there is no chance to get it into disk mode. The ipod will end up in the  sad face/exclamation point  and  apple logo.
Do you or anybody here on the forum have any idea what I can do in that situation?

May 5, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #7,723 of 10,664
Yeah I forgot the iPod has to see the drive or else it won't boot into disk mode. You need to pull out the SSD and follow the same procedure on Aomei

Maybe just do a scan on it before formatting and losing all the data.

May 5, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #7,724 of 10,664
Hello rgarj,

well, I put an old HD (from my white 5.5 ipod) and fully charged battery in that ipod.  It tells me to restore,  Will that be the normal behaviour?

With the AOMEI thing, this is where the problem will start...... I was never really able to positivly reformat the 1TB mSata. It always told me about having bad sectors and stuff like that.
And I have no more guarantee on the item.  So there will be no sending back.

Any more suggestions?

Everything was OK and the ipod was working fine, until yesterday. Can an empty battery cause that? 
Why should the mSata suddenly decide to "turn bad"?

I am soooooo sad.

Greets,
JULIA

May 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #7,725 of 10,664
  Hello rgarj,

well, I put an old HD (from my white 5.5 ipod) and fully charged battery in that ipod.  It tells me to restore,  Will that be the normal behaviour?

With the AOMEI thing, this is where the problem will start...... I was never really able to positivly reformat the 1TB mSata. It always told me about having bad sectors and stuff like that.
And I have no more guarantee on the item.  So there will be no sending back.

Any more suggestions?

Everything was OK and the ipod was working fine, until yesterday. Can an empty battery cause that? 
Why should the mSata suddenly decide to "turn bad"?

I am soooooo sad.

Greets,
JULIA

Fwiw my 256 gig msata got corrupted once I accidentally let the battery get too low.  It seems the only way out is through and that is to reformat the msata drive (both mine and yours).  One trick with the 1tb msata it seems it to do a format in an enclosure and fully power down the pc before removing the msata drive.  Failing that it may be best to cut your losses on the msata drive and sell it on here with the adapter and get one of the newer options from tarkan.  Myself I decided to make the jump from msata to sdxc and get a 512 for the ipod video I've got.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back