Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #5,011 of 10,664
$640 for a memory card so that I can keep the thin profile without corruption.  I kinda regret paying that for a memory card.  Although I remember my first 1GB MMC card I had imported in cost me $500 about 11 years ago.

Yeah this time next year that card will be 1/2 that. But its still worth it, not many iPods that big, flash memory or not

Anyone know if something like this will work? It would have to consolidate the cards together to show as one drive, but if it works, 1tb+ SD build would be both easy and cheap
http://m.alibaba.com/product/641682573/ssd-adapter-reader-sd-micro-sd.html?hasRedirected=y

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #5,012 of 10,664
Yeah this time next year that card will be 1/2 that. But its still worth it, not many iPods that big, flash memory or not

Anyone know if something like this will work? It would have to consolidate the cards together to show as one drive, but if it works, 1tb+ SD build would be both easy and cheap
http://m.alibaba.com/product/641682573/ssd-adapter-reader-sd-micro-sd.html?hasRedirected=y

That link shows nothing.  I would stay away from consolidating multiple cards, sounds like trouble.

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #5,013 of 10,664
That link shows nothing.  I would stay away from consolidating multiple cards, sounds like trouble.

ssd_adapter_reader_sd_micro_sd_ide.jpg_200x200.jpg

Sorry alibaba always gives me a hard time. There are raid USB adapters for microsd cards. This might work the same way. The sellers page says nothing unfortunately

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #5,018 of 10,664
Success.  2G mini updated using Tarkan adapter to 250gb.  PNY memory card and new battery also installed.  Total cost about $150 including a used ipod mini 2G purchased for $15 on ebay.

Took a bit to get itunes to recognize everything.  Ended up reformatting to FAT32 a second time using AOMEI with memory card installed in the ipod itself.

Looks like my earlier Rockbox problems were in fact related to a dying hard drive because it installed just fine.

This conversion was much easier than the Ipod video 5.5g conversion.  And of course the unit is smaller and sounds pretty darn good to my ear.

As noted by others, USB transfers are slow relative to the Ipod Video 5.5g. 

Listening to Live at Leeds (MFSL) by the Who in Flac format right now.  Very nice.

Thanks for the motivation.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #5,019 of 10,664
  This conversion was much easier than the Ipod video 5.5g conversion.  And of course the unit is smaller and sounds pretty darn good to my ear.

As noted by others, USB transfers are slow relative to the Ipod Video 5.5g. 

Listening to Live at Leeds (MFSL) by the Who in Flac format right now.  Very nice.

Thanks for the motivation.

Working on the Mini is definitely a lot easier than the bigger iPods.  Sound coming out of them is really good.  

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,021 of 10,664

With such a big card to finally work with, I hope you can get some more songs and verify what the stock Apple firmware song limit is for each of those models. 

I am converting all my songs over to ALAC now for the 512GB.  In the end I will be keeping my Mini @ 256GB for my 320kbps conversion and will put the 512GB in my 7.5 Classic for my ALAC files.  But I will be testing the 512 in both for performance issues.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #5,022 of 10,664
What I'm most excited about is finally having an answer as to whether the 512gb sdxc card will work in a 7.5 Classic. Barring some weird LBA-restriction on the card, I think it should work. The LBA thing is what prevents the 256gb Lexar CF card from working in the 7.5 Classic according to Tarkan. So the 512gb CF probably doesn't work either, though both CF's might work in other generations. The 512gb sdxc may be the only option at the moment for building a flash-based 7.5 of that size.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,023 of 10,664
  What I'm most excited about is finally having an answer as to whether the 512gb sdxc card will work in a 7.5 Classic. Barring some weird LBA-restriction on the card, I think it should work. The LBA thing is what prevents the 256gb Lexar CF card from working in the 7.5 Classic according to Tarkan. So the 512gb CF probably doesn't work either, though both CF's might work in other generations. The 512gb sdxc may be the only option at the moment for building a flash-based 7.5 of that size.

LBA-restriction is nothing over 128GB correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back