Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4,877 of 10,664
Sorry, one more question. As I understand it, one does not need the ZIF to CF piece of kit, just a CF to SD adaptor.

I know that one can put a CF directly into the ipod mini.

That would imply that many CF to SD adapters will work.

Am I on track with this? Do I need a specific level of adapter? High speed, type II, etc. Are there adapters that should be avoided?

This one seems interesting though I suppose there are others. One recent reviewer mentioned upgrading an ipod.

http://www.amazon.com/ESDCFII-Extreme-SDHC-Type-Adapter/product-reviews/B0048W4RV4/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #4,878 of 10,664
Sorry, one more question. As I understand it, one does not need the ZIF to CF piece of kit, just a CF to SD adaptor.

I know that one can put a CF directly into the ipod mini.

That would imply that many CF to SD adapters will work.

Am I on track with this? Do I need a specific level of adapter? High speed, type II, etc. Are there adapters that should be avoided?

This one seems interesting though I suppose there are others. One recent reviewer mentioned upgrading an ipod.

http://www.amazon.com/ESDCFII-Extreme-SDHC-Type-Adapter/product-reviews/B0048W4RV4/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

For the extra $6 I would use the Tarkan adapter.  You need to make sure it is SDXC compatible.  

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #4,879 of 10,664
Jan 28, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #4,880 of 10,664
I decided to go with Tarkan. 

The only reason I would not have gone that way would be due to the delay in shipping. 

But his support has been good and that is definitely a plus.

The other unit you showed on ebay works which is a plus!

Any suggestions on battery replacements for the mini ?

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #4,881 of 10,664
Just purchased an ipod mini revision 2 on ebay.

So I am assuming that I can fit in both a replacement battery and also a Tarkan SD card adaptor bundle. correct?

These also work well in a mini if you don't have a Tarkan CF to SD adapter.  They also work perfectly well in Tarkan's iFlash if you don't have the bundled version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371227383861?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #4,885 of 10,664

I only have 1 iPod Mini. I have over 170GB loaded on it and see no corruption.

Good to know, so there is another SD to CF adapter out there that can be used with SDXC cards with up to 256GB. 

Well, thanks to you I am not messing with my 1st and 2nd Minis again. Will try to get one of them up and running with the 256GB Lexar card... Wish me luck!

Photo from my failed previous attempt below.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #4,886 of 10,664
  Good to know, so there is another SD to CF adapter out there that can be used with SDXC cards with up to 256GB. 

Well, thanks to you I am not messing with my 1st and 2nd Minis again. Will try to get one of them up and running with the 256GB Lexar card... Wish me luck!

Photo from my failed previous attempt below.

Good luck.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #4,887 of 10,664
Well my 2nd gen Mini doesn't like the SD to CF adapter, I ended up putting the 1st gen Logic board and click-wheel in the 2nd gen housing and moved the blue click-wheel disk to to the 1st gen click-wheel and everything seems to be working fine. 

I just need to patiently fill the iPod now, the transfer rate for the Mini is slower than the Classic and the Video so it will take me a couple of days to fill it up.  Planning to use only 320k mp3's this time.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #4,888 of 10,664
  Well my 2nd gen Mini doesn't like the SD to CF adapter, I ended up putting the 1st gen Logic board and click-wheel in the 2nd gen housing and moved the blue click-wheel disk to to the 1st gen click-wheel and everything seems to be working fine. 

I just need to patiently fill the iPod now, the transfer rate for the Mini is slower than the Classic and the Video so it will take me a couple of days to fill it up.  Planning to use only 320k mp3's this time.

That's what I hated about this. 3.5 hours to transfer 78GB.  Could be the memory card too.  Kind of how the Classics have certain issues with certain cards.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #4,890 of 10,664

That's a real shame as the lexar card prices have really fallen in the uk lately for some reason.  Just a shame the cf cards haven't dropped as much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back