Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4,891 of 10,664

That's a real shame as the lexar card prices have really fallen in the uk lately for some reason.  Just a shame the cf cards haven't dropped as much!

It's not that bad, the 1st gen mini is filling up nicely so far.  Also ordered another 2nd gen pink lol Mini to do some more testing and fun things with it next week. :)

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4,900 of 10,664
I'm in the same boat.  My biggest iTunes library to date is about 17,000 songs.  I definitely own enough music to get well beyond that (a problem which led me here) but that involves many days of ripping CD's to my already bloated HDD on my laptop and/or the fancy NAS setup I have that I haven't really used yet.  I'm not sure I understand the issue entirely yet.  The mini (and the video/classic?) has a theoretical TRACK limit, correct?  If it isn't necessarily a space issue, does anyone have a way of making a few thousand unique one second tracks easily?  I'd be happy to test it out if anyone has a way.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #4,901 of 10,664
  I'm not sure I understand the issue entirely yet.  The mini (and the video/classic?) has a theoretical TRACK limit, correct?  If it isn't necessarily a space issue, does anyone have a way of making a few thousand unique one second tracks easily?  I'd be happy to test it out if anyone has a way.

I'm no expert on the matter, but supposedly it's really a database entry limit, not a database size limit, and certainly not a track number limit.  I'm picking up mini in a few hours to play with so I can see how Floola or gnupod "compress" the database.  I don't want to experiment on my 7.5g Classic that lives in my car.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,902 of 10,664
Yeah, I know the feeling.  The iPod mini can be found so cheaply now that they're ideal candidates for experimenting with.  I picked up a mini that needed a battery for $15 shipped and put an adapter and a 128GB sd card in it for about $75 total.  It works perfectly in my car and otherwise using iTunes.  If I can successfully put a 256GB card into it and have it never leave the car I'll be a very happy guy.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #4,903 of 10,664
I'm no expert on the matter, but supposedly it's really a database entry limit, not a database size limit, and certainly not a track number limit.  I'm picking up mini in a few hours to play with so I can see how Floola or gnupod "compress" the database.  I don't want to experiment on my 7.5g Classic that lives in my car.

I am running 15,400 songs with a database size of 28.5mb.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #4,904 of 10,664
  Yeah, I know the feeling.  The iPod mini can be found so cheaply now that they're ideal candidates for experimenting with.  I picked up a mini that needed a battery for $15 shipped and put an adapter and a 128GB sd card in it for about $75 total.

I just picked up a near mint 4gB 2nd gen silver mini with Apple USB charger, cable, 2 speck silicon cases, NIB dock, and original box for $25 from a local seller on craigslist.

FWIW, with it full, 1039 tracks, loaded by Floola, the database is 1.39MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back