Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,516 of 10,664
I believe DavidCotton is correct in that when you unplug the USB external msata box, the msata card gets corrupted, hence the red cross screen on the Ipod.

The process for me now will be

1. Format the msata card, fat32, using AOMEI,  which is installed in this box, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LRZPNHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. Wait at least one hour with PC on.
3. Turn off PC.
4. Put msata with Tarkan's adapter in Ipod.
5. When Ipod restores msata.
6. Eject Ipod.
7. Disconnect batt. then remove msata from Ipod.
8. Install msata in external box in (1).
9. Plug box in to PC and hopefully Itunes recognises the card and I should be good to transfer music to msata.
10. If successful, reverse steps to place msata back into Ipod.

If I miss anything, sombody please let me know.

What is so special about AOMEI? The fact that it worked for somebody once here in this thread or am I missing something?

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #4,517 of 10,664
Is the 512gb msata card you're having problems with the Crucial M550? I'm debating whether to get that or the older 480gb Crucial M500. I'm not sure what the difference is, just that the older one has been verified to be stable (doesn't go to Red X after power outage) and the newer one is less tested.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #4,519 of 10,664
  Is the 512gb msata card you're having problems with the Crucial M550? I'm debating whether to get that or the older 480gb Crucial M500. I'm not sure what the difference is, just that the older one has been verified to be stable (doesn't go to Red X after power outage) and the newer one is less tested.

I was wondering about that as well.  The specs seem to imply the m550 uses less power - that would surely be a useful advantage, given that power-consumption seems to be the main drawback of the SSD option?

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,520 of 10,664
All,

Success, success. The msata card was finally recognized by the Ipod again, and I have moved all my 12k+ files over, using the afore mentioned USB box.

It is a Samsung 840 EVO, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWHVOQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are using an external USB msata device like I am, you have to power down the PC before you remove the card, otherwise the card looses it's configuration. I suspect that is because there is no eject option.

I'm waiting for a 2000ma. batt before installing in the Ipod.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4,522 of 10,664
  All,

Success, success. The msata card was finally recognized by the Ipod again, and I have moved all my 12k+ files over, using the afore mentioned USB box.

It is a Samsung 840 EVO, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWHVOQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are using an external USB msata device like I am, you have to power down the PC before you remove the card, otherwise the card looses it's configuration. I suspect that is because there is no eject option.

I'm waiting for a 2000ma. batt before installing in the Ipod.

Nice one.

I seem to have run in to a bit of a snag on mine.  Had a day at work using it and all seemed fine.  Nice and responsive, no unusual activity.  Powered it off at the end of the day and put it in my bag,  Didn't bother charging it that night as I couldn't be bothered.  Go to use it this morning and the battery has gone flat.  So I plug it in to the wall charger and left if for half an hour.  The screen is not responding, and the back was very warm.  I'm hoping it's something lose as I didn't pack it quite right (tarkan warns that using a thick back there will be gaps).  So I'm going to open it up again (oh joy, still should be quicker this time) and just reseat everything more firmly.  This is why I wanted a spare unit to play with.  The thought of doing this to my main one doesn't bare thinking about!

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,523 of 10,664
Sorry to hear that. Which is why I have ordered a 2000ma batt. I suspect that total batt. loss may be a problem for msata, but I don't know that.
I will be sure to use a padding between the batt. and board to keep firm as well as to keep heat away from the board.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4,524 of 10,664
  Sorry to hear that. Which is why I have ordered a 2000ma batt. I suspect that total batt. loss may be a problem for msata, but I don't know that.
I will be sure to use a padding between the batt. and board to keep firm as well as to keep heat away from the board.

It's not just thickness (oo-er) it's the height as well.  You'll need something to wedge it in the bottom to stop sliding about.  If the reseat doesn't fix it I'll just go ahead and order the battery and wait.  For something that was a bit of a laugh it's turning into a bit of a money sink.  New msata drive, new adapter, new cover, new battery....

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #4,526 of 10,664

It's not just thickness (oo-er) it's the height as well.  You'll need something to wedge it in the bottom to stop sliding about.  If the reseat doesn't fix it I'll just go ahead and order the battery and wait.  For something that was a bit of a laugh it's turning into a bit of a money sink.  New msata drive, new adapter, new cover, new battery....

It's a hobby, and ain't nothing better than music for the soul.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4,527 of 10,664
Nothing better than music for my sanity whilst I use it to block the **** going on at work anyway :p

Progress anyway, looks like it is a battery issue.  Left it charging as I said before but all it did was get very hot.  Took it apart (5 minutes flat this time, though I thought I'd shafted the connector at one point!).  On a hunch I connected it to the mac where much to my relief a message (but no back light strangely) came on saying 'please wait very low battery'.  Looks like 850 isn't enough for even 256 gig!  Either that or don't let it drop below 50%. 

Edit It's just fired into life, thank goodness.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #4,528 of 10,664
  Nothing better than music for my sanity whilst I use it to block the **** going on at work anyway :p

Progress anyway, looks like it is a battery issue.  Left it charging as I said before but all it did was get very hot.  Took it apart (5 minutes flat this time, though I thought I'd shafted the connector at one point!).  On a hunch I connected it to the mac where much to my relief a message (but no back light strangely) came on saying 'please wait very low battery'.  Looks like 850 isn't enough for even 256 gig!  Either that or don't let it drop below 50%. 

Edit It's just fired into life, thank goodness.

Is your 256gb msata also a Samsung EVO? I guess Samsung should be avoided.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4,530 of 10,664
Yikes, I guess no brand of Msata is completely stable. And I remember reading that the 256gb sizes were as good or even better than sdxc in terms of power management and staying cool. I guess I will just hold off until the 512gb sdxc goes down in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back