Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #4,231 of 10,664
In my experience, trying to pair a Video click-wheel with a Classic face plate caused the click-wheel to protrude up by half a millimeter above the face plate. When I pressed down on the click-wheel, it wouldn't even register a click. Just the center button worked.

Can you post some pictures of it? The backplate need to be from a 7g also right?

Perfect.
So will do this mod with my future 5.5g 256GB PNY SDXC iPod, hehe...... thaaaaanks cmarti :wink:

All are mSata Samsung TeraPods. Black and red U2 gen5.5 thin. Black classic faceplate w white click wheel on gen5 with 2000mAh thick back. Gold classic face and thin back on gen5. Blue classic face plate with thin back plate w white click wheel gen5.

The black+white and blue+white are flush with the classic face plate. The gold+black click wheel is slightly raised above the face compared to either the U2, black or the blue. All work flawlessly.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,232 of 10,664
In my experience, the transparent panel for the classic is good when paired with a standard clickwheel. I could not get the clear clickwheel to fit well with the button or clear housing. The gen5 version clear housing did not permit me to fit the standard clickwheel flush against the face.

I have seen many other more skilled modders make these work beautifully, however, and i am always envious when i see such skill.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,233 of 10,664
These are the transparent or semi-transparent diymods in my collection. I love them and all respond well with the click wheels. The one with the red click wheel responds and fits perfectly.

Nice collection there dr408517. I think I need to get a slim version with the ipod video body and the classic face.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #4,236 of 10,664
  Those are awesome. Are all of those ipod videos? I presume the one on the left is a 7th?

Yes all ipod videos.

Dminor, Your obsessive craftsmanship inspires me. Incredible.

Thank you Sir, likewise I wouldn't have a terapod without your tips. We are in this hobby for some fun. :)

Now the question for you. Do you need to do anything special for putting a classic face for the ipod video body, besides using the 6g/7g middle frame?

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,237 of 10,664
Yes all ipod videos.

Thank you Sir, likewise I wouldn't have a terapod without your tips. We are in this hobby for some fun. :)

Now the question for you. Do you need to do anything special for putting a classic face for the ipod video body, besides using the 6g/7g middle frame?

Nothing special really. I have been known to work with a few different faceplates and clickwheels to find the best match, but I've had very good luck.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #4,238 of 10,664
I just ordered a classic face plate and a middle frame, will let this thread know how that will fit. 

With the reduced weight from a swap for CF, the slim classic feels perfectly in my hands for portability. I have one 7g with the stock HDD swapped for a CF. That's my [size=12.7272720336914px]on-the-go [/size]toy now. I tested it three times by throwing it up near the ceiling and dropped to the carpet floor, nothing happened. So it's proven fail safe. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #4,239 of 10,664
I guess those are all 5g for their better sound quality? Are they all with 64MB of RAM or not? I'm thinking of getting a 30GB iPod video (mostly in order to be able to run the stick firmware again) and put an mSATA in it. But I'm wondering how big a difference the RAM makes.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #4,240 of 10,664

So if I'm reading the data correctly you're getting acceptable speeds when you restore the iPod using iTunes. But you get lower speeds when dual booting it using rockbox utility?
What is the function of the ipodpatcher.exe? 

The ipodpatcher.exe I have learned is used in order to dual boot into both the standard Apple iPod interface and Rockbox by performing a hard reset after turning the hold switch on and off.  In any case, I have done a lot of various speed tests and have concluded the following:

This is with the PNY 256GB SDXC card and Tarkan's adapter bundle using a 5.5 gen iPod.

Of the three ways to connect the iPod to the PC, the transfer rate varies drastically.

Rockbox USB mode: Not even functional. It will copy a few MB (anywhere from about 10 to 50) and then completely freeze. I cannot even perform a “safe eject” at that point.
iPod’s “Disk Mode”: Very slow speeds. It seems to cap the read speed at almost an even 5 MB/s. The write speed seem to be around 1.8 to 2.2 MB/s.
“Normal” iPod mode: Acceptable speeds, very similar to the speeds that Tarkan reported getting.  (about 5 to 6 MB/s write and 12 -13 MB/s read)

The following are some of the results that I received doing transfer speed tests:

After iTunes restore:
Warning: Only 512 of 244329 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 5.73 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Again:
Writing speed: 5.86 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Disconnect and reconnect:
Writing speed: 5.99 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

On another PC:
Writing speed: 6.10 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

After running Rockbox Utility while still connected:
Writing speed: 5.40 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

In Disk Mode after installing Rockbox:
Warning: Only 64 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 2.15 MByte/s
Reading speed: 4.99 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Second test in disk mode:
Warning: Only 1024 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 2.13 MByte/s
Reading speed: 3.92 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

After uninstalling Rockbox and bootloader, using iPod mode (not disk mode) connected to PC:
Writing speed: 5.83 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.8 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Booting in disk mode again:
Writing speed: 2.08 MByte/s
Reading speed: 5.10 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Back into iPod mode:
Writing speed: 6.06 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Reinstalling Rockbox and the dual boot firmware and booting into iPod mode (not disk mode):
Writing speed: 5.44 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I am the process of copying about 130GB of MP3's to the iPod now in the standard iPod mode (not disk mode).  I plan to take a long walk in the next day or two with the iPod and hopefully I don't get any errors when playing the files through Rockbox.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #4,241 of 10,664

The ipodpatcher.exe I have learned is used in order to dual boot into both the standard Apple iPod interface and Rockbox by performing a hard reset after turning the hold switch on and off.  In any case, I have done a lot of various speed tests and have concluded the following:

This is with the PNY 256GB SDXC card and Tarkan's adapter bundle using a 5.5 gen iPod.

Of the three ways to connect the iPod to the PC, the transfer rate varies drastically.

Rockbox USB mode: Not even functional. It will copy a few MB (anywhere from about 10 to 50) and then completely freeze. I cannot even perform a “safe eject” at that point.
iPod’s “Disk Mode”: Very slow speeds. It seems to cap the read speed at almost an even 5 MB/s. The write speed seem to be around 1.8 to 2.2 MB/s.
“Normal” iPod mode: Acceptable speeds, very similar to the speeds that Tarkan reported getting.  (about 5 to 6 MB/s write and 12 -13 MB/s read)

The following are some of the results that I received doing transfer speed tests:

After iTunes restore:
Writing speed: 5.73 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Again:
Writing speed: 5.86 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Disconnect and reconnect:
Writing speed: 5.99 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

On another PC:
Writing speed: 6.10 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

After running Rockbox Utility while still connected:
Writing speed: 5.40 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

In Disk Mode after installing Rockbox:
Warning: Only 64 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 2.15 MByte/s
Reading speed: 4.99 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Second test in disk mode:
Writing speed: 2.13 MByte/s
Reading speed: 3.92 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

After uninstalling Rockbox and bootloader, using iPod mode (not disk mode) connected to PC:
Writing speed: 5.83 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Booting in disk mode again:
Writing speed: 2.08 MByte/s
Reading speed: 5.10 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Back into iPod mode:
Writing speed: 6.06 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Reinstalling Rockbox and the dual boot firmware and booting into iPod mode (not disk mode):
Writing speed: 5.44 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I am the process of copying about 130GB of MP3's to the iPod now in the standard iPod mode (not disk mode).  I plan to take a long walk in the next day or two with the iPod and hopefully I don't get any errors when playing the files through Rockbox.

And why does it have to have the dual boot capability? I think that you would save a lot of time simply rockboxing your iPod and then putting all your music on the SD card (maybe even through the card reader)

Edit: Now that I think about it: does the dual boot lets you synchronise your music with iTunes and then play it through rockbox?

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4,242 of 10,664

And why does it have to have the dual boot capability? I think that you would save a lot of time simply rockboxing your iPod and then putting all your music on the SD card (maybe even through the card reader)

Edit: Now that I think about it: does the dual boot lets you synchronise your music with iTunes and then play it through rockbox?

From my write tests above, the standard Apple UI on the iPod (the one that comes with the iPod that syncs with iTunes) is by far the fastest of the three methods of adding music to the 5.5 gen iPod with Tarkan's adapter combo.  I don't even have iTunes installed on my computer.  I just did the necessary iTunes "restore mode" using iTunes on another computer and made sure that the "enable disk use" was enabled (I believe that it was by default).  I just did it that way to avoid the hassle of having to uninstall all the other Apple programs that iTunes installs along with it on my main PC.  This way, when I connect my iPod to my computer, it basically acts the same as if it was in "disk mode," as there is no iTunes to open automatically or associate with the iPod in any way.

I have set up my MediaMonkey to be able to sync with my iPod and just copy the folder structures like they are on my PC, so there is no need for an iTunes database at all when switching back over to Rockbox.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #4,243 of 10,664

From my write tests above, the standard Apple UI on the iPod (the one that comes with the iPod that syncs with iTunes) is by far the fastest of the three methods of adding music to the 5.5 gen iPod with Tarkan's adapter combo.  I don't even have iTunes installed on my computer.  I just did the necessary iTunes "restore mode" using iTunes on another computer and made sure that the "enable disk use" was enabled (I believe that it was by default).  I just did it that way to avoid the hassle of having to uninstall all the other Apple programs that iTunes installs along with it on my main PC.  This way, when I connect my iPod to my computer, it basically acts the same as if it was in "disk mode," as there is no iTunes to open automatically or associate with the iPod in any way.

I have set up my MediaMonkey to be able to sync with my iPod and just copy the folder structures like they are on my PC, so there is no need for an iTunes database at all when switching back over to Rockbox.

And have you considered only using rockbox? For example by using the emCORE installer? Maybe this way you get acceptable writing speeds.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,244 of 10,664

And have you considered only using rockbox? For example by using the emCORE installer? Maybe this way you get acceptable writing speeds.

Then I would be limited to either "disk mode" or Rockbox USB mode.  Rockbox USB mode simply doesn't work with flash memory on the iPod (you may be able to copy a few MB, but it will likely be corrupted).  I don't see how using emCORE will get faster transfer speeds.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #4,245 of 10,664

Then I would be limited to either "disk mode" or Rockbox USB mode.  Rockbox USB mode simply doesn't work with flash memory on the iPod (you may be able to copy a few MB, but it will likely be corrupted).  I don't see how using emCORE will get faster transfer speeds.

Ow yeah sorry I forget you said that, and which build of Rockbox are you using? Maybe you can try upgrading to a newer version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back